Digital adapter remote reprogramming

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Digital adapter remote reprogramming

I got a digital adapter last year and am using the remote that came along with it (It is just the simple remote with a few buttons).  I just got a new tv and want to reprogram the remote to turn on the tv, adjust volume etc.  Currently it will only change channels.  How do I reprogram the remote for the new tv so it will turn it on etc?  I tried the instructions that came with the adapter with no luck.  Thanks.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Digital adapter remote reprogramming

If you followed the instructions.. and that is all you are getting.. it may be a limitation of the remote. Smiley Sad

They only have a certain number of codes, etc and try to be universal.. but they can  not have every TV in them, and if the new TV is using a different code set, it may not work 100% with the remote Smiley Sad

I'm a Reliable Contributor

The regular 5 button remote (ones used for Rogers Digital box) also work to control digital adapters.  Also if your original digital adapter remote has the Rogers symbol on the botton, it can be programmed using the same directions as the regular rogers remote.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Here are the instructions that come with the Rogers DTA:

http://downloads.rogershelp.com/digitalcable/guides/DTA50_EIG_ON.pdf

In my case it didn't work 100% because the TV didn't turn off in the final step, even after an hour, so I still need to use the original remote to turn the set on and off.

Or you can get the TV model number and go here:

http://www.urcsupport.com/html.php?page_id=736

I tried both. The second method requires you to watch for a red light to blink under the white button, which is a bit hard to see.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think with both these (and the rogers full remotes).. they both tend to cover a wide range.. but often still have some limitations.. sometimes working on part of it, but not others.

I have a 4642 box in the basement, and it will control the volume, etc on the TV itself.. but wont power it on/off.. must be a CLOSE code, but not exact.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Just an update on setting up the Delta DTA remote.

I had it set up using the Rogers method (press SET for 3 seconds, press 9-1-4, hold power button until TV turns off). You're supposed to hold the power button "for a few minutes" until a code is found. Holding it until my hand cramped just gotme a few functions so I ended up doing it over and clamping the button for an hour. This gave me all functions except on/off because the TV never did turn off.

Yesterday I gave it another go using the TV model code and the method on the URC website, now that I noticed there actually was a red light under the white button. The result was that the remote lost most of the functions except channel +/- . I tried the Rogers method again a couple of times, clamping the power button for about an hour, but nothing changed. It seems like the URC supplied code is locked in and I can't get rid of it. There has to be a way to reset the remote to its original defauld state. The Rogers instructions say most common problems can be fixed by rebooting the adapter by unplugging it, but that makes no difference. Maybe I'll have to call Rogers.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Have you tried taking the batteries out of the remote for a few minutes?
I'm a Senior Advisor

I did try taking the batteries ou for a few minutes. Today I called Rogers and that was also one of their suggestions. The tech said the remote can be reset to factory default by pressing the SET button until the light flashes twice. When I press the button get one longer flash followed after a couple of seconds by two short flashes close together. One problem is that the red light is hidden under a white plug, so it's almost impossible to see in daylight. Maybe that's why the Rogers instructions say to press the SET button for 3 seconds and don't even mention a light. Anyway, the tech didn't even have my TV brand listed. He also said to just take the remote into the Rogers store for replacement if I can't get it working as before.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Today I took the DTA remote in to the Rogers store and was given abrand  new one, no questions asked. Perhaps problems are common with these and they aren't erasing previous erroneous codes that get entered when you reset them.

Anyway, using the Rogers method, the new remote programmed in a couple of minutes to the best I had the first one at. I had it sitting on the table with a visegrip clamping the power button and one of the toddlers lnocked it down before too long, but it worked.

I can't say enough good things about Rogers customer service when it comes to replacing stuff that doesn't work.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats about the only reason i RENT my other boxes vs buy.. just for that reason... pretty much no questions asked, take in and swap.