Digital adapter not working

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Digital adapter not working

Good luck. Sometimes these intermittent issues can be very difficult to track down and fix.  It's possible that the adaptor is bad. Perhaps they'll swap it out for a set-top box instead...

I'm a Senior Advisor

@NoChoice1Hold the INFO button on the DTA50 Remote for at least 10 seconds and you'll get the diagnostic screens. The Tuner Status screen has the signal level and signal to noise ratio. The signal level in dBmV should be between -10 and +10, with zero being about optimum.  Bigger numbers are a problem. The S/N ratio is good if it’s at about 35 dB. If your S/N is around 30 (or less) though, that could be a source of problems. At least those are the numbers given for regular boxes. But if you call Rogers and get through whe you have this problem, they should be able to check your signal remotely.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for replying! I just pressed the Info button (at almost 10 a.m.). (Who knew?) Turner Status shows signal-to-noise at 37. The problem is at night, tho, anywhere from about midnight to 5 or 6 a.m. Not in the daytime. I'll check it night, now I know to do that. 

Since I have a technician booked for today I'm hoping he can find the problem. Again, thanks for telling me something I didn't know!

I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers' technician came and went. He did swap the adapter for a new one, and also put in a new cable splitter as I've got 2 TVs and 2 adapters. The TV in the living-room has never been a problem, day or night. It's the bedroom TV I've had problems with at night. Anyway, we'll see if the new adapter fixes the problem at night.

I do get the lobby security camera on the bedroom TV now (only on the living-room TV before), instead of the Rogers' "service interruption" message, so maybe there's hope. 

Can't believe there's a repairman who doesn't charge for his expertise! My hat's off to Rogers, especially if the new adapter fixes the problem. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

I'm glad a Rogers tech fixed your problem, as far as you can tell so far. The DTA50s are no longer offered by Rogers. I've always had good experiences with Rogers techs fixing my cable problems, redoing connections and replacing splitters no charge. After all, if they can't deliver the service they need to fix it.

I Plan to Stick Around

So ... the new adapter seems to have done the trick BUT I now get minimal volume from the TV. Even with the volume turned up to maximum, I can barely hear the TV. Always before, maximum volume was needed at night, but I at least could hear the TV. Daytime I turned volume down. I'm not a technical person at all so I don't know: Would the new adapter interfere with the volume or do I have yet another problem? 

I'm a Senior Advisor

You can control the volume on the DTA and the TV. Make sure it's turned up on the TV.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In case that was not clear, you may need to use both remotes (TV and DTA) to set the volume properly. Set the volume on the TV say at the half way to 3/4 way point using the TV's remote. Then control the volume via the DTA's remote on the DTA itself.  If you hear a lot of "hum", then you may need to lower the TV's volume and increase the DTA's volume or vice versa until you get it just right.

You should also be able to see if the DTA remote is controlling the volume of the TV or the DTA...

I Plan to Stick Around

How do I do that? I can see volume numbers on my TV screen. Both the TV remote and the Rogers adapter remote show the volume at maximum, yet the volume has not increased.  

I'm a Senior Advisor

In that case there could be a problem with the DTA or its setup. In my case the volume bar for the TV volume may not be visible if the picture is zoomed, which is why I asked.