Digital adapter malfunctioning

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Digital adapter malfunctioning

I have 7 free Rogers digital adapters in my home, one for each TV set and I've had to have three exchanged and have two more that are acting up..the screen goes snowy...turning itself off for a few seconds, then coming back on. It will do this quite a few times in one viewing period. Another box is now showing a green screen when turned on and I have to disconnect and re-connect to get it working. Has anyone had similar problems?

***Edited Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Digital adapter malfunctioning

Definately doenst sound quite normal.

The snowy part.. etc.. since they are DIGITAL.. first thought would be SIGNAL.. if you havent had someone out in a long time, while for ANALOG the singal may have been fine, might not be good for digital.. could be causing that...

BUT signal loss shouldnt be causing the box to turn off tho.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I would suspect signal with that many outlets. Are all the splitters the right kind and do you have booster(s)? Has Rogers checked it out in your home? Also, a "snowy" picture could indicate a poor coax connection between the adapter and TV. Those connecting cables with their plastic nuts aren't the greatest.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for your response.  The picture is not snowy...it is the screen you get when the cable goes off...all snowy.  This lasts for about 5 seconds, then goes black and within 5 seconds or so, the picture comes back on.  This can happen several times an hour.  When I exchanges the malfunctioning boxes, I didn't have the problem anymore.  The two that are now malfunctioning are not used much so I haven't bothered exchanging them.  At the Rogers store, no one seems to know why or even heard of the problem.  I do have a booster installed by Rogers themself.  When the tvs were on regular cable, there was no issue..only when I added the Digital Adapter.  I have two Digital receivers, one being a PVR and have never had the problem with them.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The problem of with/without the adapter..
Tends to go from, that analong was MUCH more forgiving.  Digital requires a much more proper, full signal.

Might be worth still getting a tech out, to check the connection at each of the boxes, to see if its ok or not.

(as i dont think you can view that on the DTAs, at least that i am aware of)

That its going to snow.. yes does appear that its a full signal loss.. the same as if you UNPLUGED the cable from the back of the tv.
I am trying to remember.. when you turn on the DTA, is there a power light? Durring that time of snow, does the light turn off?
Wondering if the unit is powering off/back on.

Faulty power adapters, etc.

I'm a Senior Advisor

When you press the INFO button on the DTA remote for more than 6 seconds you get the info screens. Navigate with Channel +/-, Enter, Last and then Info to exit. The fourth screen shows what looks like signal strength and S/N ratio. I'm seeing - 3.5 and 35. I don't know what's acceptable for the DTA, but those would be good enough numbers for my PVR, which should be between +10 and -10 for the power and no less than 30 for S/N.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm Here A Lot

My power levels are 4.2 and 3.8 and the SN is 35 on the two that act up. I guess I will just go to a Rogers store to exchange them. What a PAIN!!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi,

Yes unfortunately its a pain when the boxes fail, but like any other electronic device, there is no way to tell IF they will fail and WHEN they will fail, that's where the limited warranty comes into affect.

Yes it may seem inconvenient, and those odds are not typical. It happened to me too, but it was my power adaptor on my E940 Set top box, failed, the friendly staff at the Roger's store were so kind as to give me another one over the counter exchange and off I went.

I've Been Here Awhile

I have one and it keeps doing the same thing. Shutting off, blank screen and some type of snow. It has been doing it all week.

Hello @gregandjulie, Welcome to Rogers Community Forum!Smiley Happy

Usually if you have Digital Adapter and TV displays snow, it could be signal coming into the box. Have you tried securing the coax cable and power cycling (taking the power off/on) the box? How about the other services, like internet and other digital box(s)?

Please provide more details so that Community can share their expertise to resolve the issue.

Thanks,
RogersMoinSmiley Happy