Digital Terminal Rental on NextBox

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Digital Terminal Rental on NextBox

Question 1 - do I need both of these 'terminal rentals' in order to access my cable tv package, and if so why?

Question 2 - is it possible for me to buy whatever these are at a reasonable price but ideally new, so that I don't have to spend $24/month for whatever it is they do?

I'm a Senior Advisor

Question 1 - yes you do need to have a terminal in order to access your full packages - if you happen to have a DTA currently in place, that will provide you with a limited channel mix (same as starter), but you can't get them anymore.

Question 2 - Rogers does not sell terminals, but if you look at Kijiji and other market sellers, or local electronics companies, you may find a used or refurbished one.

Even the rentals you receive are generally going to be refurbished now, but check closely for signs of damage, that things may have been sitting on top for years (scratches on the box of objects on top) or large amonts of dust.  These all lean towards a higher risk of overheating.  More important if you are buying from the reseller market.

There are tips somewhere on the board on how to make sure that the box is not black market (ie. stolen, or out of service due to a customer/company payment issue).  Have the person selling it confirm that the box is ok to be used and registered to a new person, confirm it with Rogers yourself with the serial number before agreeing to buy.

If they won't agree to doing that, don't buy, or do so at your own risk.  If buying from a reseller, they may not know the original source or whether it was deregistered, so call Rogers yourself and confirm the box serial number is elegible to be registered to your account.

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks. That's a big help.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BSwrote:

There are tips somewhere on the board on how to make sure that the box is not black market

Here's the checklist again:  I assume you're in Ontario.

1. Call Rogers with the name of the seller and the STB number before purchase. This is to ensure that it's not a rental and is properly in Rogers system (as a third-party STB) and is allowed by Rogers. Have the seller show the STB in operation if possible. This is especially important if it's a PVR because the iHDD could be bad. If they can't demo, then the price should reflect that.

2. Ensure the seller deactivates the STB or tells Rogers they're selling it so that you can then activate it.

3. You must call Rogers when you get the STB home to authorize it.

4. You must have the cable properly connected and a good signal to the STB for it to function/boot.

5. Sometimes another call by the seller is required after the buyer has the STB in his possession and is trying to activate it (due to Rogers Computer issues - there must be some difference between the "check" and the "activate" steps in Rogers' computer system). Sometimes, if you call to activate, and the CSR says the box has not been deactivated, if you know the seller has made the call, if you insist that it has been deactivated, the CSR will often activate the STB without another call by the seller.

6. You cannot use a STB that is not a Rogers Ontario STB.

7. In the event you wish to incorporate the STB into a WHPVR (Whole Home PVR) setup, a truck roll (service call) will likely be required.

8. Sometimes we get questions about "moving" a STB from one subscriber to another without calling Rogers. This is against the Terms of Service with Rogers, they can find out (monitoring location), and both people could be in trouble with Rogers.

9. Note that there are some smaller Rogers areas in Ontario that utilize Motorola STBs. In those cases you need to purchase the correct Motorola STB(s) and it doesn't have to be a Rogers box, but beware of scam sellers. You cannot use SA/Cisco in a Motorola area, or vice versa.

10. If the seller is not a "customer in good standing" (bills all paid, etc.), then Rogers may have a lien against the STB, so calling Rogers before purchase, as discussed in point one, is very important.

11. Digital Terminals (DTA-50) are usually considered rentals and should not be bought/sold