Digital Box in remote location ?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Digital Box in remote location ?

Can i hook up my televison to an HD terminal (Netbox) that is in a different room.  I have an outdoor television but would like to leave the box indoors. 

****Edit Labels****

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Re: Digital Box in remote location ?

Well, Yeah.

So many ways of doing it. You can run a wireless video transmiter. (Its not a Rogers product) but simply it has 2 parts.
Part A connects to the box inside.
Part B connects to the TV Outside.
Part A and Part B both talk to each other wirelessly.
The Transmitter is usually for Video AND Audio (for obvious reasons). They have Composites and HDMI versions available at electronic stores. Cost depends on what quality, range and frequency you are looking for... all play a valuable role in your idea...

I hope that is what you are asking. Nexbox itself won't know how the video signal is being transmitted so you won't really be fiddling with that at all.
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for the speedy reply!  Sounds simple enough. In terms of the remote will there be any compatibilty issues that you would forsee ? I am assuming that I would use the netbox remote and the transmitter would take of comminication to the HD terminal ? Thanks Again

Rogers Employee

Actually. you need IR transmiter itself.
Those are different than your Video Transmitter. It essentially repeats your IR remote feed on the other side to the nextbox. Since it is "Line of Sight" Technology. IR (InfraRed) is short range you can't throw that much distance. So IR Transmittor works.

I don't recommend a wireless one for that. since you'll get a delay as much as a wired one. but either way there is a delay to extend and port IR range regardless if you go wireless or wired with the IR Transmiter.

I do however recommend, AnyPlace TV At Home Edition, then you can control that box through your wifi network - It has a built in Remote in the App 😄

(You can actually control your NextBox from anywhere even if you were out of town.)

If you Like my effort - Click the "Like" button!

If i have resolved your inquiry - Click "Accept As Solution!"

I Plan to Stick Around

But Home Edition no longer works on Android devices that have been upgraded to Lollipop.
Rogers Employee

I know!!
I am so waiting on this to be resolved myself. As I have Note 3 updated to LP.

The only other option would be an IR Transmitter. I have used one before (for a projector set up) but the delay is very noticable, especially with greater distance.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

MIGHT work, if where it is outside, would be nearish to a window, the box facing towards a window??  A stretch.. but another possibility.

Rogers Employee

IR itself through sunlight distorts, so that has a higher chance of failure.

Via experience IR Copters (those Toy RC helicopters)
Loose 'signal' when sunlight is involved.

I have also tried IR remotes for LED function and that failed for me as well. Both Remote and IR receiver were in shade but sunlight in between so the line of sight wasn't useful.

Plus window glass might distory it too. (which can be fixed by having a cone between the IR receiver on the box and the glass (Sort of like DSLR len's hood) - this will increase accuracy...

Hoping AnyPlaceTV app updates, because its the most useful one specialy in this scenario.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

True.  Guess it depends on the location.
I know my brother used to do it... but the TV and box itself were inside, he just had a view from his window, into the house so could watch it from there with the window open for audio... he would sit in his hot tub there with the remote.. BUT it also had an awening over it.

One other option as well.. depending on if the user had potential OTHER equipment as well which would be connected (bluray or other devices).

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/logitech-logitech-harmony-smart-control-915-000195/10242486.aspx...

The harmony smart control system (this is one, but there are other more advanced ones as well)
The little pod, you leave near your  equipment for it to do the IR from there.
The remote itself does not need to be in visual range.. its radio frequency.  And also does it over wifi with smart phone apps.  Do doesnt have to be anywhere near in sight.
Little less wire running, etc than an wired IR extender, etc.

Rogers Employee

This is an excellent suggestion.

IR Transmitters are cheaper than Harmony controls though.
But anything that uses RF is definitely an advantage in this situation.
But this doesn't alter AV Transmiter, as that is still needed.

-- I just clicked on the BestBuy Link ... That remote is pretty. 🙂 Definietly looks like a solution to it and bonus other features! 🙂