Digital Adapters - Why I hate rogers

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Digital Adapters - Why I hate rogers

I still use analog cable in my home, specifically because I don’t want or like the converter boxes offered by Rogers.  I have now been informed that I will need a digital adapter with a "convenient" remote control - exactly what I do not want).  I was told that they will give me 4 of them at no charge.

My TV's are all new and have digital encoders built into them.  In the US, are digital adapters required ON TOP of a digital TV?  It is my understanding that these adapters are required because Rogers encrypts their digital signals which is why this box is needed.  Is this a problem in other jurisdictions?

I for one am fed up with Rogers and am considering getting a digital OTA antenna and leaving them forever.  The only reason I am still with them is because my wife like to watch a few specific channels.  I DO NO WANT ANOTHER STUPID BOX SET UP TO MY TV.  I also have a TV card in my computer.  Will I have to conenct the stupid box to my TV?  ridiculous.  How about a whole home device which enable us to use our standard TV remotes ON OUR DIGITAL TVs and bypass your stupid boxes?

Dave

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Digital Adapters - Why I hate rogers

You will need a box for every tv in your house if you are going to stick to  cable,  even if your tv has a atsc tuner.   Remember, even satellite dish, fibre optic, fibe, and iptv also require a stb on every tv too.   only otv requires no stb if the tv has atsc tuner, but u wont get tsn or sportsnet or any cable only channel.

I've Been Around

I agree, and now that I've authorized it I can no longer record from the dvd recorder while watching another channel because it will only record the channel that the digital adapter is set on. This is purely and simply a display of greed from a corporation that has no regard for the consumer. Can we change this attitude? Do we vote with our feet? I know Bell is the same but does Rogers want to lose customers?
I'm Here A Lot

They're re-organizing frequencies to provide more services through the same pipeline, and providing each home with up to 4 free adapters, which I'm sure is going to cost them millions. Please explain how this is an example of corporate greed?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you wanna record a second channel on your dvd recorder while watching something different on your tv? simply ask rogers for one additional DTA adapter.  They gave me one extra because I mis calculated, and I am NOT paying any extra for it, just like the people on cogeco do NOT HAVE to pay extra for theirs.

Simply put the DVD recorder on a seperate outlet and use the DTA adaptor to set its channel, then you can watch your main tv and you can record a show on your dvd recorder in another room at the same time, problem solved.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Pauly wrote:

If you wanna record a second channel on your dvd recorder while watching something different on your tv? simply ask rogers for one additional DTA adapter.  

Simply put the DVD recorder on a seperate outlet and use the DTA adaptor to set its channel, then you can watch your main tv and you can record a show on your dvd recorder in another room at the same time, problem solved.

Just brilliant! LOL!

First of all - you are only entitled to so many digital adapters based on the number of outlets that you have. It may not be possible to just ask Rogers for another one. I mean, you can ask, but you may not get one.

Secondly, now that you have moved your DVD recorder to a second TV in another room, once the show has been recorded you are unable to watch it on your main TV since you moved your DVD recorder. Or do you move it back to the main TV every time you record something? Or what if someone else is already in the second room watching something else?

Or what about people who only have one TV? While this may seem unlikely in this day and age, there are a lot of people who live by themselves in small apartments or even renting a room and do not have the luxury of a second TV. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You guys are over thinking it Smiley Happy

Yes, to record on the DVR and watch something different, etc.. yes you would need two adapeter...

But no need for 2 tv's, etc.

Wall to cable splitter... cable splitter to each digital adapter... one adapter direct into TV.  Other into DVR.  Then use a video out (rca cables) into the TV... even a 15+ year old TV should have at least one set of inputs Smiley Tongue

This way, you just switch inputs.. switch to video input to set dvr, etc.. its all good and going, then switch back to TV input to watch your other thing.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

all u gotta do is ask them how many boxes u are allowed to have, but let me answer for u, i asked them and they said as many as i want. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

maybe he has a DVD PLAYER? everyone has atleast one dvd player, i record in one room ,does nto mean i have to watch it in that room, i just take out the dvd and put it in the blue ray player in the other room and enjoy, why r u makign this difficult? only u can make things difficult.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Gdkitty definitely has the most practical solution to solving the problem of recording one program while watching another. The only problem as I see it though is how many digital adapters you are allowed. According to Pauly, he called Rogers and was told that he could have as many as he wants. I highly doubt that though as David Purdy, vice-president of video products for Rogers has stated that  the digital adapters "are available free for every analog cable outlet listed on a customers’ Rogers account." On my own account, I used the MyRogers section and discovered that I was only entitled to ONE digital adapter since my other two outlets are classified as digital outlets due to having 2 digital boxes already.  Since Gdkitty's solution requires 2 digital adapters, it would make sense that Rogers would charge you for the second adapter if you are only entitled to one.

While Pauly's suggestion would work for people with multiple TVs and DVD recorders and/or players, it obviously would not work for people with only one TV or one DVD recorder as pointed out by DWR. While many people today do have more than one TV and DVD device, there are still many people who cannot afford this luxury. So kitkat51's concern is still very much a valid one. 

So this brings me to my last suggestion, but to be honest, I do not know if it will work. Years ago, prior to the advent of PVRs, we used to use an A-B switch. Your VCR (remember I am talking 20-30 years ago) would run off one switch and the TV off the second switch. This would allow you to tune in one station on your TV (using the A switch) and another on your VCR (using the B switch) thereby allowing you to watch one program while recording another. But that was the days before all channels became encrypted, so I am not sure if this would work anymore. Since I now have 2 PVRs, I no longer have need for the older technology and have no way of really knowing if it will work. 

In conclusion, I would go with Gdkitty's suggestion though you might have to pay for an additional digital adapter unless, as Pauly suggested, you can get as many digital adapters as you want (which I doubt).