Digital Adapter

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Digital Adapter

@RogersMaude wrote:

Hey Community,

We wish to notify you that some of the information provided in this thread may no longer be accurate.

Before May 17th 2016, the Digital Adapter was free of monthly charges, as long as you returned the equipment to Rogers in the instance where you terminated your service with us.

We want to inform you that it is no longer the case. The rental fee, it is now billed at $3.99/month, per adapter.

Hope this helps! Smiley Wink

RogersMaude

Well, that's a shocker! So they weren't free starting more than 3 months ago?

I got 4 digital adapters a 2 or 3 years ago because that's how many my account allowed. I installed and authorized one, which is still in use and another later on, but have since removed it because the person moved out. The remaining two have never been installed, but with growing grandkids here, they may soon get put to use. So my question is, when I hook up the remaining digital adapters will Rogers want to charge me an extra monthly fee?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi,

Yesterday, I picked up a digital adapter at the Rogers store in Square One. I got a DTA-30 by the way.   

Well, when I went to set it up, everything worked except I only recieve on this DTA-30 the Starter/Skinny basic package.  I currently subscribe to the "Select" Package.  I know the transmitter doesn't pick up all the channels but I currently don't receive channels like CP24, YTV, CBCNN, W Network etc...

I called twice to the agents and got the answer that the Digital Adapters no longer transmit anything other than the Skinny/Basic package even if you currently subscribe to higer packages.  Is that true?  

I was sort of disappointed with the outcome of getting a digital adapter if it's only going to transmit the skinny/starter package.

My other t.v. with a regular HD box picks up all the Select channels.  I know there are people here who seem more knowledgeable than some Rogers reps.  

Thanks for any help/input.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sauga:

I have the following comments. I hope they're some help.

1. I thought it was a DTA-50?  Are Rogers now issuing a different DTA?

2. It used to be that the DTA would tune the channels that used to be analogue because it was a "replacement" for those people who used to have the minimum analogue channel package.  The DTA never tuned the same channels that were available with a "real" STB.

3. It's possible that this has been changed since the start of "skinny basic" and "pick & pay".

I assume that a Rogers rep will come along shortly and clarifiy this.

You may wish to negotiate a STB instead of the DTA. Rogers should have lots of them lying around.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I too am interested in finding out the answer to this question. I myself have a DTA-50 on one TV set, and can definitely tune to channels above Basic/Starter. This means its not a hardware limitation, unless you actually got a DTA-30, new model box, which Ive never heard of before so most of us are assuming it was a typo. The only other thing I can think of is an internal Policy Change, so that New Equiptment Activations or Programming changes after a said period of time fall under this new policy, and people like myself might be "grandfathered" and can still receive channels above basic on their DTA adaptor. The only one who can truely answer this is someone from Rogers Social Media Team.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the replies.

1) It is for sure a DTA-30.  I checked the brown box label and the label underneath the adapter.  I've never heard of a DTA-30 myself, I thought it only existed the DTA-50.  

2) I was told by a rep from the TV tech line that the DTAs activated now will only revceive the skinny basic channel lineup despite whatever higher package you may subscribe to.  

3) I know people who also have the DTAs and they get MTV, CP24 etc...

4) I was told by the representative at Square One Rogers store that the DTA would be able to access at last channels 1-28 which it doesn't.

It seems like most Rogers employees don't know what's going on with the DTAs.  Everyone has a different answer.  I think I might switch to a regular HD box since I checked the Rogers site and it's 5.00 a month if you are currently in a bundle which I am.   I wasn't aware of that promotion.  

I'm disappointed because I had to go to two stores to find this DTA and now it doesn't access half my channels.  I had a DTA in the past which transmitted even channels like E! on 63.  

Seems like Rogers might be forcing people's hands to move to a HD box by limiting the channels available on their DTAs. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

I Googled DTA-30 and can't find much useful information, certainly nothing pertaining to Rogers. I have DTA-50s in addition to a couple of PVRs and the digital adapters don't receive CP24 (Ch 192 here).  The DTA-50 receives most channels up to 129 plus a few oddballs. From what I understand, the DTA-50s, which were free, were, discontinued, or at least "hidden", but I guess new customers were outraged when they discovered the new "skinny" packages would cost them a whole lot more than they expected because they needed a cable box too.

Just curious, is this DTA-30 free or do you have to rent it?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Posts 17 and 19 discuss the pricing, however, as we know, everything is negotiable on an individual basis depending on your bundle, negotiating skills, etc.

CP24 is on channel 24 in many areas of Ontario, although it is also remapped to the higher channel.  If you can negotiate a STB instead of a DTA for a similar overall price, then I would certainly suggest you get a STB.

I Plan to Stick Around

I didn't want to deal with any more of this nonsense so I just passed by the Rogers store on Eglinton/Creditview in Mississauga and picked up a Nextbox HD Box.  They told me it will be 12 dollars a month which is a lot but my contract is coming up for renewal in November and hopefully they will give me this box for a cheaper price at that time.  They were busy and I didn't want to negotiate a price, it wasn't the right time.  

They gave me a Explorer 4642HD which is the exact same box in my living room that I got 4 years ago.  I really wish Rogers would update their HD Boxes, they are old technology and terribly used up.  

I was renting the DTA-30 and I returned it.  The girl at the store said it's probably defected and that's why it couldn't access those channels.  I seem to get a different answer from each person from Rogers I talk to.  

I gave up on the DTAs.  I don't think I should put up with a product that doesn't even access half the channels being paid for.  Seems sort of ridiculous. 

I just wish Rogers would provide the HD Boxes for a cheaper price.  I think 12 dollars plus tax is steep.  

Thanks for everyone's help and hopefully my problem will help others out with a rental or purchase of a DTA.  Smiley Happy

I'm a Senior Advisor

"I gave up on the DTAs.  I don't think I should put up with a product that doesn't even access half the channels being paid for.  Seems sort of ridiculous. "

You fundimentlly misunderstand what the DTA was/is for.

Is IS:  a way for those who had analogue cable (cable plugged directly into the TV from the wall) to continue to watch TV when the digital switchover occured.

It ISN'T: a replacement for any Rogers STB.

The DTA was never meant to get the same channels you could get with a proper STB.  So many people thought they could game the system and get a cheap STB by using the DTA, and then came around here and complained when they found it wasn't the case.

I Plan to Stick Around

I fully understood what the DTA is all about before I even picked one up.  I had previously used one before.  I understood its limitations.  But, I expected at least for the device to pick up all channels from 1-28 and it didn't.  My last DTA got 1-28, hence my fustrations.    No need to get nasty.    

It's not gaming the system by wanting to lower your monthly bills.  We pay our Rogers bill every month religiously.  I've never stolen or have taken advantage of anyone in my life.  I was looking for an alternative (which I had used before) to keep my bills in balance.