Digital Adapter

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Digital Adapter

This thread has been helpful, thank you to all.  I have a DTA-50 and have had one for years - until yesterday, we were able to get a lot more channels (including CP24, HGTV, etc.)  I see that our loss of a whole bunch of channels (basically anything above 22) is as a result of Rogers taking away the channels.

I ran into a new problem, however.  The remote (that came with the box) no longer controls the DTA-50.  I have done the 'press set for 3 seconds, then 9-8-1' to reset the remote but to no avail.  I know the remote works because I am able to program the remote to turn the TV on/off, change volume, etc. 

Has anyone encountered this?  How do I get the remote to control the DTA-50 again?  Now, I can turn on the TV with the remote but can't actually change any channels (since the DTA-50 won't respond to the remote)...?!? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What is the model number of the remote?  If you got the new RF remote, it may require a different sequence or different programming.  The following site may help:

http://www.urcsupport.com/

I Plan to Stick Around

It's the Delta URC3068 - it's been the same remote since I first got the DTA50 years ago....I did a factory reset (set - 9-8-1) and then it stopped working with the DTA50; I did a set - 9-9-1 and was able to pair it with the TV and the remote does control the TV (i.e. on/off, volume) but now I can't change channels on the DTA50.  I can't find any instructions to pair the remote to the DTA50 itself? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I also didn't find much useful information in the operating manual:

http://www.urcsupport.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Delta-Manual1.pdf

Does the light at the top light up when you're pressing buttons to control the DTA?  Take the batteries out for a while?  Try new batteries?

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Circus_boi

1. I have a couple of DTA-50s and the VIP package.  They tune the lower 100-odd channels plus some irrelevant ones like lobby watch.  If any channel in my package is in that range, I receive it. If you press and hold the Info button, you go into diagnostics and can page through to a screen showing the channels the DTA receives. If you're not getting channels you're paying for in this lower range, contact Rogers. Of course, they'll all be in SD.

2. When I first got my DTAs I found I couldn't get fully set them up with my TVs, an RCA and a SEIKI. The final step where you hold the power button until the TV turns off didn't work, so I need to use both remotes.  In fact in my attempts to set up the remote I ended up with worse and worse outcomes and couldn't reset it to start over. I called Rogers and they said to go to the store and they'll replace it with a new one, which they did. I would suggest you take the remote to a Rogers store.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLR Thanks.  Sounds like I might have to go with the 'replace' route - it pairs with my TV just fine but refuses to work with the DTA itself.  Do I have to replace the DTA also, or just bring the remote by itself to Rogers and get a new remote?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you're going to replace the remote, you may wish to request one of the more complex remotes like the 1056.  Not sure if they're available any more, but you can always try. They are more "programmable" than the regular remote that comes with the DTA and the IR "frequency" used by Rogers is the same for all their STBs as far as I know.

I Plan to Stick Around

@57 Thanks for your advice.  Will see what I can get from Rogers - just want the ability to change channels again!  Also, hopefully will get some of the channels back (like CP24, HGTV, Food, etc.) since I am on the "Popular" package....

I'm a Senior Advisor

Let us know if you get the channels back when you let them know you are on popular package, and if they say no, could you ask if that is now true for all packages, and will grandfathered plans remain unchanged.  Just interested in those answers.  I have tried and I just can't get a straight answer on it - I have heard Starter channels only, and when I ask is that true for all packages, the last one said no if you are already on them, but did mention comments here on the board and confusion, but he had no answers.

I did a second call, still couldn't get answers, told I will find out when I change my packages when my plan runs out in fall, but that since new plans at special offers come out around the school year, who knows what would be available.  We talked about changes to my package to lower the price and at the end of the discussion, we couldn't decide on TV bundle because it just isn't clear what we watch (working on that - amazing how difficult it is to decide which ones you want to let go, some are easy, but the theme packages are usually the best deal, but still have at least 50% in each that we don't need, but generally, as soon as you go to three, you are better off with the theme package - a quick glance and our old VIP is still the best deal and our DTA's still have the 60+ channels (not full VIP of course) - basically the original SD channel levels that are all now HD, but shows SD on our TV as our TV's aren't HD anyway on those, and my understanding is it doesn't matter as the box is SD anyway.  

Did the same discussion on Internet and although going from my 60 to 30, meant we lost 5Mhz WIFI bands, and we can't even use 2.4 in our area anymore - too much congestion - I feel sorry for my neighbours, as there are only 2 5Mhz channels being used in my area.  The rest must be suffering and swearing at times.

Cost to go up to the modem we have now is 10.00 more, bring the price back to almost what we have now, so no reason to change, and they could not say what will be in place in Oct when I have to change.

And even if I change things now, I still have to go to in market bundles at that time anyway, so why bother.  

There are more CRTC ordered changes moving down in the system right now with the competitor on Fibe moving to standalone TV with no Internet requirement.  

Ahh changing technology, along with marketing decisions to limit what the technology can do.

Life of communications in Canada.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

I have had 3 reps tell me otherwise.

The ADDITIONAL promotional things.. like the 200 visa gift card.. or some really specific ones like whe there was the gigabit internet and TV package for $99/month.. those were NEW only.

Thanks @Gdkitty  Think that just proves my point, that there is no consistent messages at the moment.  But I did find in my call yesterday, that the message was much more clearer.  There was no benefit for me to go to any of the new plans, but I could still mix andmatch features from the new plans into my old plans to help reduce my costs, but at the end of the discussion, it just wasn't worth it (maybe less than 10.00 difference), because the 30 Internet only has the 2.4Mhz WIFI and my neighbourhood is completely saturated on that band, I can't even stay connected unless I am on the same floor as the router, or the floor above, when I am directly over the modem.  10.00 more for the next modem - faster speed brings me to the newer modem.  And the channel mix ended up almost identical with less channels, so why bother.  DTA's still run my VIP limited mix of channels, always available to me originally on analogue and then DTA.

So lots of mixed messages, and as someone said earlier, each individual needs to call in and develop an understanding of their needs and really put those discussion and negotiation skills to work to get the best deal for your needs.  But less plans, are at least making it easier.

Bruce