Digital Adapter

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Digital Adapter

@Sauga I am going to add my two cents to this whole discussion - I have had two DTA50's since the analogue station to digitial station switch over to occurred.

To confirm what a digital to analog terminal was originally marketed as - it is just as it says - "a digital to analog terminal = DTA" that at the original implementation was the exact same channels you received via your analog TV straight from the cable outlet and tuned on your TV or other analog tuning device.

The analog channels available without a terminal were always less than what you could get on a full digital terminal of any type - as the terminal (SD or HD) allowed for you to access specialy packages add-on channels, pay for play, on demand and many other features.

As of today, I still get over 60 channels on my DTA-50 converted channels seen on two analog TV's (both high end Sony's 36" TV's with cathod ray tubes, purchased at end of production line for 100.00 each and they work great - for a person with a visual accuity challenge, Cathode Ray, SD 480, SD 780, HD or 4K makes absolutely no difference to me, so I make every effort to get the best price and use the devices that provide TV viewing at a reasonalbe price given my visual challenges.)

This I too will say is not "gaming the system" - DTA's are still sold and function, and in my case, I could just as easily use only DTA's if I could, but you have to have at least one digital terminal, plus it gives me the full benefits of my  VIP package, PVR features, and ON-Demand features, while using the DTA's in the rest of the house.

If the new bundles were available to an existing customer - I could take the free HD terminal no pvr and add it to my outlets and use my paid for PVR terminal, so there are lots of mix and match options going on out there, although often not highlighted in the on line pages.

So to summarize - I am unsure what is going on in terms of packaging of channels on the DTA - if people are saying that DTA is only the Starter package now - then at this point I cannot find that in writing anywhere, and if it does apply, it cannot apply to existing customers unless we have received a notice of change of terms of service or change our bundles/packaging already under subscription.

I have little confidence in what I hear from CSR's on the DTA right now - I have been working to reduce services, over the last while and get the best deal I can, maintaining my HD PVR as I own it and the two DTA's. Why - my needs and finances have changed - life changes.

I have heard multiple differences in the explanations to me around pricing, but I had not asked about channels on the DTA as I wasn't aware that of that issue until now.

I am going to sit for a while and wait for things to settle down - this recent change, like every other change that happens, it seems every 6 months or so creates huge miscommunication, confusion and frustration and I have done enough already, so I will wait -  I actually had everything nailed down a few weeks back and just waiting to make the change, but then the whole model changed once again.

And finally as to the suggestion that people are trying to "game" the system, I have seen no evidence of this - I think any well informed customer will always try to get the best deal and combination of services and devices that they can arrange to get, and as they figure out what they can and cannot do, they will make their final decisions. which can also just mean up and leaving.

Let's please keep this board friendly, and not suggest that anyone is "gaming".  We are all just customers who are trying to understand our services and get the best deal possible, no different than any other large ticket purchase or committment should be done.  I see @Sauga 's last statement "I was looking for an alternative (which I had used before) to keep my bills in balance."; as exactly what I am doing as I try to enquire on my next service package I choose - and I am doing the same trying to see if I can use the same DTA model to keep the "basic channels" of a package (not inculding any theme packages). If I was forced to have the starter package on the DTA, and had a higher package, I would begin negotiating for a change, or look elsewhere.

If one looks at the comparison, you will see that the basic channels on each of the 4 packages provided now have different levels of channels available on the basic level. In the past, we have always got these on the DTA, and consider that for some like me, one of my TV's has only a coax connector (no RCA or composite cables) and I use it with the existing DTA.

Well, enough said, this issue is proving to be a confusing one, and one that I think we need to individually take up with Rogers reps, and push upwards if their answers just don't make sense or are not clear.

Best of luck in figuring out the best alternative for your service and television needs.

Note, I had two reps, that didn't even know what a DTA was, either by the short form, or the full name - I waited 15 minutes while they researched, then finally came back with a different answer on pricing from the last person.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Contributor

@Lurker wrote:

Is IS:  a way for those who had analogue cable (cable plugged directly into the TV from the wall) to continue to watch TV when the digital switchover occured.

It ISN'T: a replacement for any Rogers STB.

The DTA was never meant to get the same channels you could get with a proper STB.  So many people thought they could game the system and get a cheap STB by using the DTA, and then came around here and complained when they found it wasn't the case.

I do agree that the digital adapter's main purpose, as far as rogers was concerned, was to allow customers to still watch TV after the digital switchover. However, the DTA is capable of more than what rogers is allowing. In the USA, Comcast not only gives customers the option of a DTA, but also an HD DTA. With the HD DTA, customers can access all of the content (with the exception of premium services) that they can with a regular HD cable box. Customers with a Comcast HD DTA can access hundreds of channels. It even has a guide, though a simpler one than the larger boxes. So what I am saying is that the technology is there. It does not have to be subject to the restrictions that rogers places on them. It gives lower income consumers a more affordable choice. I have used these HD DTAs in rental homes in the U.S. and they are far superior to what rogers is allowing up here. I think what rogers is doing adheres to the intent of what is required by the CRTC, but they would really rather have their customers switch to a more expensive box, so make them a much less attractive option than they could be. It really is a shame that less expensive options are not utilized better by rogers. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

@BS wrote:

Note, I had two reps, that didn't even know what a DTA was, either by the short form, or the full name - I waited 15 minutes while they researched, then finally came back with a different answer on pricing from the last person.

Bruce

Currently the Rogers website is unhelpful regarding digital adapters. The link http://www.rogers.com/tvadapter redirects. Could someone from @CommunityHelps please update us on the subject?

1. What is the difference between the DTA-50 and DTA-30 and why the change?

2. How does a customer now go about ordering a DTA and is there now a cost attached?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

Sauga wrote:

I gave up on the DTAs.  I don't think I should put up with a product that doesn't even access half the channels being paid for.  Seems sort of ridiculous. 

I have a PVR and 4 DTAs, 2 of which are currently hooked up. I ordered the DTAs early in the game when the transition to digital was taking place and they were free (but owned by Rogers). In my experience getting the DTAs to fully work with every TV out there is a dice roll. All the remote functions don't necessarily work, so you have to use two remotes. There are also better Cisco DTAs out there offered by some cable companies that are HD capable.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

2. How does a customer now go about ordering a DTA and is there now a cost attached?

Contact Rogers and see posts 17, 19 of this thread. Of course, depending on your bundle and negotiating skills, you may get a better price.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@OLDYELLR wrote:
 There are also better Cisco DTAs out there offered by some cable companies that are HD capable.

Yes, by Comcast in the U.S. As I mentioned in my post above, Comcast is willing to go the extra mile to offer their customers an HD DTA where you can get 100s of channels. I am not sure if they are Cisco DTAs but they are sure a lot better than anything rogers has to offer - and a lower cost alternative for many customers who do not need all of the bells and whistles! Why can rogers not do the same thing up here?

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks everyone who has responded to my problem.  Thanks @BS for the reply.

Yes, I have to agree that in the U.S., they have these DTAs in HD.  I know family in the U.S. who use them as their second and third terminals and they work well and catch a variety of channels.  I think Rogers is just using the excuse that it is old technology.

I will admit I am low income and that's why I went for the DTA.  It was quite the hassle to go to the Rogers stores because I don't own a car and had to ask family to take me.   I was disappointed in the outcome because I had also tweeted Rogers Helps and asked for the channel lineup for the DTAs and they said I would get the select package basically.  

I got a nice Rogers rep who told me my HD box is being rented to own at $7.50 a month like my other HD box I have.  I am happy with that price and outcome.

Cable is the only luxury I have along with Internet.  I don't even have a cell plan.  I'm happy with what rogers offered me.   Hopefully, I can get a great package for Internet, Cable and Home Phone when my contract expires.  I don't see any offers for existing customers currently on the main Rogers site.  If I can't get  a deal, I might have to remove internet and just have cable and home phone.

Thanks again to everyone who was kind enough to respond.  Take care. 🙂

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Most of the current bundles on the website are available to existing customers, just some of the very special promos (things like say an included gift card, etc) may only be for new customers.

There are sometimes other bundles not listed on the site as well available.. but you would have to call in and ask.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty

I got some clarification in a chat yesterday - at the top left of the bundles page you will see the following note:

These bundles are for new customers only

Further, you cannot make changes to your current bundle online at the moment - you are directed to call in or use chat.

I will leave it until I get closer to my end of contract later this year.  And who knows how many times the offers will change - some of these changes are being made for competetive/business reasons making it easier to compare packages (stated in financial reports), to reduce the huge number of loyalty and legacy plans that are currently being maintained (stated in submission to CRTC, Dec 16, 2016), as well as the reality of technology changes (eg. they went a very reduced model of DTA functionality from the start, and it seems they have reduced it further to the starter channels).

Note that I could only find reference to the starter channels on the DTA under the fine print in the Starter Tv Package where it also points out that you must have at least one HD terminal.  I am sure these can get clarified as each of us phones in when it becomes time to look at our existing packages.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have had 3 reps tell me otherwise.

The ADDITIONAL promotional things.. like the 200 visa gift card.. or some really specific ones like whe there was the gigabit internet and TV package for $99/month.. those were NEW only.