Digital Adapter - stopping analog channels?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Digital Adapter - stopping analog channels?

@Gdkitty wrote:

Depending on how old you are.. may not know what i am talking about..

but they are pretty much like.. WAY WAY back in the day, in the transation from the TVs with a manual tuner nob to electric channel changes.. you could buy a channel change box.. pretty much just goes inbetween, has its own remote, changes the channels.

Good explanation, Gdkitty. The DTA is just about exactly like those old remote control boxes for cable. You would set your TV on channel 3 (or 4) and the actual channel number would display on the front of the box and the screen. Except the DTA is smaller and just had a pilot light.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Well I just think it's stupid how I now need to purchase these boxes in each room i have a television just to access basic channels. Not only is it stupid, now there are a ton of wires and this just adds to the problem. I have been able to watch walking dead on channel 39 for the past 3 years, now cannot access that channel. I think rogers is a scam company and bell is right up the alley way. I really just do not see the point in having to get an adapter, really think it is just pointless. 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

You don't have to purchase the digital adapters. They are free to Rogers customers. There was a notice in fine print at the bottom of your cable bill a long time ago. Just call Rogers and you can pick them up at your local Rogers store.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

The notice we got only gave us the option of 1 free digital adapter. We have 4 TVs. Yea, just lost another 4 channels this week at our household as Rogers 'upgraded' them to digital. I view it as stealing something from us that we've been paying for for almost 20 years.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

You don't have to purchase the digital adapters. They are free to Rogers customers. There was a notice in fine print at the bottom of your cable bill a long time ago. Just call Rogers and you can pick them up at your local Rogers store.

Don't even have to leave your house.  Don't even have to call.  Fill out an online form and they'll send the thing right to your door.

http://www.rogers.com/tvadapter

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers will give you as many adapters as your cable package allows. (# of outlets allowed)

Some packages allow 1 outlet, some 3 or 6.

This includes analog. Many people don't realize this, and that it has always applied, even for analog.
That if your package only allowed one outlet, that is all Rogers technically supported. If the others didn't work? Technically wouldn't help.
That you could spit it on your own usually without issue, was just a bonus.

NOTHING is broadcast anymore in analog. So it actually costs them MORE money now to keep analog alive and still provide it as they have to down convert the signal. Doesn't make sense to keep the system going.

That analog without a box was an option for all these years on all tvs, I view as a bonus.
If you had sattalite or any other form of tv for the last 20 or so years, you would have had to get a box for every tv.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Recently I called Rogers trying to get an upgrade box from the Scientific Alanta one that I have had for about 5 years nearly, as it does not have access to the security cameras in my lower level apartment building.

You kow what they told me, that I had to go down to Rogers at Westney in Ajax and pick up, as there would be a charge to bring it to me.  Go figure?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@charmainejensen wrote:

Recently I called Rogers trying to get an upgrade box from the Scientific Alanta one that I have had for about 5 years nearly, as it does not have access to the security cameras in my lower level apartment building.

You kow what they told me, that I had to go down to Rogers at Westney in Ajax and pick up, as there would be a charge to bring it to me.  Go figure?

You know that you'll probably also be paying a higher rental fee, right?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I am not sure that a new box will give you any channels not currently available on your old SA box.  I would rent the new box and try it out before returning your old one.  If the new box works return the old box.  If the new box doesn't give you access to those channels the issue is not the box.  Many apartments still use analog channels to distribute their security cameras but Rogers is using those analog frequencies for new digital channels.  The security cameras need to be distributed digitally which requires a change of hardware in the building and not a new cable box.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Snorelax is correct. The building needs to update to digital.

Best way otherwise to so this, is to put a splitter (a higher quality one, a cheap one will cause your digital box to not get right signal).
One into the digital box and one into the tv. When you need to change to the lobby channel, change tv inputs to the tv tuner on the tv, and change to the channel there