Digital Adapter Missing Channels

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Digital Adapter Missing Channels

Another problem that happens, is that the "Customer Care" individuals, Or even the Retention department, fail to mention this fact when changing your package.

Perhaps Rogers ought to pay attention to that...

I'm a Senior Advisor

In my experiences about talking about packages and my DTA's in the last 4 months, I have almost always been told about this issue, and as of late, they offered free rentals of full digital boxes to keep the channel mix, but it sometimes is missed.

They are required to tell you under the current CRTC rules, and you have a legitimate reason to discuss further your options if you can demonstrate that you were not advised, as with that information, you as a customer, or any other customer may have made different decisions.  It is there responsibility to demonstrate that they advised you of this by the way, not yours.

Just mentioning it as a comment to your experience that you have observed not being advised of these changes when making or enquiring about changes for your package - It is more than Rogers ought to pay attention to that, they must pay attention to it and you are well within your right to bring this up to them officially.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Wish I'd seen this thread before I "upgraded" my TV plan last night.  I spoke with two CSRs before agreeing to a new plan, and neither mentioned a single word about my DTA box.  I didn't even think to ask given that the new TV package (Popular TV) appeared to be in every way superior to my old package (Digital Plus), or was at least equivalent in terms of the channels that had been available to me via my DTA box (notably CNN, A&E, CBC Newsworld - nothing particularly exotic).  Given all the other questions I had to clarify to make sure I wasn't being scammed (price protection, contract length, phone features, modem rental, etc., etc.) the DTA didn't even cross my mind...

Then this morning I turn on my TV that's hooked up to a DTA box to discover I'm at least a dozen channels that I'd had previously - and of course they're the only ones I care about watching.   I contacted Rogers thinking it must be a technical glitch that would be easily fixed.  Nope...  I was informed that the channels available with my new TV package were not available over my DTA box - a fact that neither of the two CSR's I spoke with prior to making the change had informed me of.  I asked to go back to my old package, and of course was told this was not possible.  They claimed the only solution was for me to get a cable box for that TV if I wanted to get my old channels back.  I have no desire for a box on that TV (particularly in light of the absurdly poor performance of their older boxes since the guide was "upgraded" - a whole other matter), but I said fine, I'll take one if that's the only way to get the missing channels back, assuming that, given the circumstances (i.e., they misled/lied to me), there would be no charge, at least for say the next year.   Wrong again, they want $12/month.  Or, they helpfully added, I can downgrade my service if I want to keep the price point the same as the offer I was given.  So I'm supposed to agree to a lesser service plan because they failed to inform me of their decision to arbitrarily cripple my DTA after changing packages.  Who does this?  I'M PAYING FOR THE VERY SAME CHANNELS that 24 hours ago I could access on every TV in my house, but now they arbitrarily decide to remove them from my DTA box without telling me.  And upon confronting them I'm told to take a hike, not even the faintest whiff of an actual apology.

It's one thing for Rogers to want to slowly do away with the DTA boxes, but at the VERY least they should be informing customers of what they're doing and ideally offering at least a one year free loaner box while customers make the transition.  I've been with them for 17 years, so it's not like I'm a new customer, so you'd think I'd get a sliver of good will, but apparently not.  After being very happy with the new package I was offered I am now left feeling that I was intentionally scammed by this company.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@User0000624  I have several suggestions:

1. Call Rogers back and explain the situation. They will often supply free set top boxes to replace the DTAs given you're a long-term customer and have been "wronged" with the new package.  It's always a good idea to check here before changing packages.  Ask for "second level" if the first level CSR cannot help.

2. If that gets you nowhere, login to this forum and contact any of the Mods here via PM on Community Helps:

3. Use the Share a concern link:

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/contactus/share-a-concern

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Does anyone know why Rogers is cutting the number of channels available on the DTA's?
Other than forcing customers into spending more or continue paying the same for less. I don't see a rationale.
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for the advice.  I will call them tomorrow, although I already tried once when I was online with the CSR on FB chat, so he had a crystal clear record of literally everything that was said during my negotiations, and it was 100% clear that the DTA was not mentioned at all.  Despite this he told me there was nothing he could do and was pretty dismissive about the whole thing, implying that I misunderstood or something.  It's such a clear and obvious mistake/outright omission on their part that I'm shocked the first CSR didn't help me right away, I shouldn't have to be following up on something like this.

Hello @jays77 & @User0000624,

Having channels disappear on you after changing your package without proper warning is never a fun experience. =(

This type of issue should not be happening. We'd like to take a closer look at this and escalate this matter so we can find a solution that works for you. Please send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps and we can get started on this for you.

For more information on our Private Messaging system please Click Here.

RogersTony

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree, It's imperative that any frontline agent who works for Rogers Cablesystems should mention this to you when you change your package or add a single a-la-cart channel that they need to be clear to you that this channel will likely NOT be available on the DTA adaptor.  The DTA adaptor was nice for people who were previously transitioned from analog to digital, but it has its limitations.  Rogers has to make a whole new channel lineup for every cable package including grandfathered just for the DTA adaptor. can you imagine how much work is involved in maintaining two channel lineups for every cable tier as well as educating all the frontline agents for Rogers Cablesystems about this.  its very tedious and some agents may unintentionally forget, some may make a mistake or not be aware, etc.   its not easy so im not gonna fault rogers.  I do think they should s . the whole DTA system altogether and use a full fledged cable box.   I know of 2 other providers: Telus Optic and Bell Fibe TV which do not have this limitation, because they never had analog to begin with, they were created from digital tv from the start, so yeah that may play a role in why they are ahead of the game. who knows.

I've Been Around

Just got caught up in this same vicious circle of improper notification of what a small change will really do to my expected service. Called customer retention and was told to go to local store for Rogers and they will swap out for free the Digital Adapters for Standard Adapters. Was told that all of the chanells will reapear. MAJIC!!

I've Been Here Awhile

I have 2 digital terminals in my home, one is fine the other does not got all the channels. It was working fine then about 2 weeks ago I noticed certain channels not showing up-black screen and others distorted.

I have reset it numerous times, and swapped out the box, still not working. I have about 20 channels I cannot access.

Very frustrating...any suggestions?