Digital Adapter Missing Channels

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Digital Adapter Missing Channels

Yes, in a recent offer put together I already owned a PVR and two of the digital adapters, and they offered to include a PVR which was part of the deal anyway, plus a HD terminal with no PVR as replacements for the DTA's, so I would maintain my full channel selection.

And yes, if you keep the DTA's, you will get only the starter package channels, no matter what package you are on.

Bruce

I'm a Trusted Contributor

That makes me more determined not to ever willingly change my TV package. I have one owned HD-PVR and four DTA's in use. ( main TV, (guest room. kitchen and two bedrooms).

I doubt that they would be willing to replace all the DTA's with boxes for free and I'm not willing or able to increase my monthly entertainment costs.
I've Been Here Awhile

That's where we were at. Unfortunately, we had an expiry date, listed on our bill, with our TV plan, so they had to come up with something else. They did replace all the boxes, no rental fees, but again, it only lasts for 1 year. So that means another struggle again, next year.

Interestingly, if you reauthorize your Digital Adaptors, or they get unplugged, they call it a system update and about 60-70% of the Channels will disappear. They claim they are not putting any filters, in place, to block the channels and that it may take time, for the system update, to reach every digital adaptor.

It seems either they are applying filters to block the channels, when a digital adaptor needs to be rebooted, or reauthorization, or when it's been unplugged or, if/when the system update reaches all existing digital adaptors, one assumes that ALL digital adaptors will be affected. If so, it follows that ALL customers, with digital adaptors, will eventually succumb to this issue (whether they've made changes to their plan, or not).

If that doesn't happen, it would appear that they would be applying filters, to block the channels.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. Just be prepared...
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers is all digital and there is no need for filters. That would require a truck run and is too expensive. They can authorize various channels on various set top boxes. You would think that they would have the same channels authorized on each box, but the adaptors have been different from the start.  At first they authorized mainly the channels that used to be available on your analogue lineup, however lately they've been authorizing only the most basic channels on the DTAs, depending on if you call in, are unlucky, change your lineup, etc.

I'm an Advisor

Hello @zimmermn,

@zimmermn wrote:
Interestingly, if you reauthorize your Digital Adaptors, or they get unplugged, they call it a system update and about 60-70% of the Channels will disappear. They claim they are not putting any filters, in place, to block the channels and that it may take time, for the system update, to reach every digital adaptor.

Just a heads up for others - I last used my DTA-50 adapter *last June* and plugged it back into power & cable on Monday.  It booted up with my entire analog channel lineup - no missing channels.

I am in Brampton (410N/Bovaird) and have a grandfathered cable package (VIP Ultimate + Movies), so your mileage may vary.

I've Been Here Awhile

My point exactly. That's evidence that rather contradicts their story that the channels are "unable" to be transmitted, via the Digital Adaptors, isn't it? Seems more to support the case that a filter is being used, to prevent the channels from coming through.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@zimmermn wrote:
...Seems more to support the case that a filter is being used, to prevent the channels from coming through.

Clarification. As I mentioned earlier, in the old analogue days cable service providers utilized hardware "filters" upstream to preclude certain channels from getting to the set top box.

Today, each box can have each individual channel authorized or not authorized electronically.  Perhaps you are using the term "filter"  to describe this authorization process, but it's not an actual filter and "filter" is inappropriate terminology.

Yes, the DTAs are capable of providing many more channels than most people see. The channels that you don't see are not authorized on the box.  The channels that you do see are authorized and Rogers can authorize or de-authorize any individual channel.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have a DTA on one of my TVs.  We downgraded from VIP to Digital Plus and I still get all the same channels on the DTA that I did before, so something is definitely fishy for those of you with missing channels.  I'm in Ottawa.

It's funny, we have an older 8642 HDPVR on one of our TVs which is now basically useless since the new guide got forced upon us, so now I find the viewing experience with the DTA to be a dream in comparison, I can actually change channels!

I've Been Here Awhile

Lost channels on Digital Adapter after switching from Digital VIP to Premier

Hi there, 

I recently switched my Digital VIP package to the new Premier package. We have four TVs in the house (Basement, Main floor and two bedrooms) 

Basement has NextBox 2.0

Main floor has NextBox 3.0

Master bedroom has NextBox 2.0

Child Bedroom has Cisco DTA 50 - Digital adapter 

When we had Digital VIP up until Saturday July 29th the  Digital adapter received all channels from 1-70 with a few exceptions. Now after switching to Premier the TV with the  Digital adapter only tunes channels 1-20,28,60,61

Any ideas as to why I would lose channels on the digital adapter only? I have tried to reset via tech support and by unplugging and plugging back in.

Thanks very much for any help

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JeffD17:

Your post was moved to this existing thread on the topic. Please check out the last couple of pages of this thread which discuss the fact that this happens whenever you change your package or sometimes simply if you're unlucky and Rogers changes the authorized channels on the DTA for whatever reason.

If this is an issue for you, then you can contact Rogers (by phone, chat, or PM here - login and use link below) and they will probably provide a set top box to replace your DTA - at least for while:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/1446984