Digital Adapter Missing Channels

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Digital Adapter Missing Channels

I have VIP and the channels I receive on my TV with the DTA-50 have not changed since the introduction of the new packages.

They area s follows:

1 YWTW
2 TVO
3 GLOB
4 OMMI1
5 CBLT
6 WKBW
7 CITY
8 CTVSO
9 CTV2L
10 GUIDE
11 CHCH
12 CBLFT
13 WOOD (local Rogers)
14 OMNI2
15 WIVB
16 YESTV
17 TFO
18 CTVNC
19 SHOP
20 WGRZ
21 WQLN
22 SNO
23 WN
24 VIS
25 YTV
26 CBCNN
27 W
28 WUTV
29 MUCH
30 TSN4
31 A&E
32 AMC
33 CNN
34 TLC
35 CMT
36 FUSTO
37 TLN
38 OLN
39 SHOW
40 BRAVO
41 HGTV
42 TREE
43 SLICE
44 DISC
45 HIST
46 CMDY
47 WPCH
48 SPACE
49 TCM
50 TOON
51 FAMLY
52 FX
53 MTV
54 SN360

56 BNN
57 DTOUR
58 FOOD
59 ABCSP

62 CTVTO

67 SEC1*

70 APTN

95 CFTM
96 RDI
97 CPACE

129 OLEG

786 TSN4

911 ALARM*

988 SEC1*
989 SEC2*
990 SEC3*
991 SEC4*

* Nothing shows

These are the same channels that show on the non-interactive guide channel (Ch 10 for me, Ch 5 or whatever in Toronto). These are channels included in VIP that are in the DTA tuner range, just not HD.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I seem to recall asking a question last year if the DTA boxes support different cable packages, and the upcoming Pick and Pay and the answer I got was negative. They were only introduced for a specific purpose and once that deadline has come and gone, you need a proper HD STB to receive all the channels in your package.

I knew something was up a few years ago when my Father had a digital VIP package, had 2 STBs but also had a DTA-50 adapter on one of the TV sets because we are not rich so we were on a tight budget and one of our STB broke down on us and we had no money to spend on replacing it at the moment.

One of the things I noticed is the DTA50 would NOT tune multicultural channels such as my Dads favourite Italian channel RAI, The moment I experienced this I knew the DTA would be incompatible with other packages such as Pick and Pay and vice a versa, and it really only makes sense to buy or rent a proper STB from Rogers.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I can't see any logical reason why a customer's DTA-50 couldn't tune all the subscribed SD channels within its range. The days of physically blocking unsubscribed channels with filters are long gone. All I can surmise is that Rogers introduced the free DTA-50s to appease the millions of analog customers that would be losing their cable TV and could not afford the jump to expensive STBs.  Once that was taken care of,  removing channels available with the DTA was the thin end of the wedge to coax them into renting or buying STBs. I think cutting channels in view of all the alternatives to cable TV available today is not the best plan for customer retention.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What may be happening here is that if people change their package, or if they exchange their DTA, or get a new DTA, then Rogers takes that opportunity to "reduce" the number of authorized channels viewable with a DTA, encouraging people to get a STB instead.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I can't see any logical reason why a customer's DTA-50 couldn't tune all the subscribed SD channels within its range. The days of physically blocking unsubscribed channels with filters are long gone. All I can surmise is that Rogers introduced the free DTA-50s to appease the millions of analog customers that would be losing their cable TV and could not afford the jump to expensive STBs.  Once that was taken care of,  removing channels available with the DTA was the thin end of the wedge to coax them into renting or buying STBs. I think cutting channels in view of all the alternatives to cable TV available today is not the best plan for customer retention.

I agree wholeheartedly. Rogers today, is a very sad state of affairs. We rent a home in Florida during January and February. The provider is Comcast. The owner there has a great Cable package - everything except the premium channels, such as HBO or NHL Center Ice.  The main TV in the living room has a set top box. All of the bedrooms have DTAs  - but not just any DTA - an HD DTA - hooked up with HDMI. The bedroom TVs receive ALL of the channels that the living room set top box does - in this case, well over 400 channels. The DTAs even include a guide, albeit a more simplified guide than the main set top box. So.....if rogers is cutting channels that can be received with their SD DTAs, the only logical reason is to get you to switch to a more expensive set top box. So rogers, if we do not wish to switch, will you provide us with an HD DTA? The technology is there rogers, so why are you restricting it?

I'm a Senior Advisor

Just a comment on the various posts - for those who can't seem to get a straight answer on the DTA channel lineup, or whether they are free, or what they cost, etc, and it seems that no matter how many different people you ask, this is consistent with the experience that many including my self have gone through.  And yes, this is attocious customer service and just leads to annoyed customers, and increases the risk that we will finally say, forget it, I am going elsewhere.

They don't seem to get it, or maybe just don't care, that although OTA, and OTT are leading to loss of customers, as well as poor implementation of Nextbox, constantly changing packages and price increases, and the increasing availability of 3rd party wholesale providers and FTTN and FTTH are taking a real bite on their service.

I sat and watched Bell sattellite at my father-in-laws this weekend, and I have to say, that the model and the quality and performance and speed is comparable if not faster than Rogers, with the second remote box free in the price, they are rural, so have a slower ADSL internet at 5Mbs, but more than meets his needs with a very large bandwidth bucket, and they are being provisioned for FTTN in their rural area north of Oshawa in the near future, and already have all equipment in place such as their home 3000 modem in place already.

So, Rogers needs to get its act together on pricing for second boxes to permit for full channel selection.  The remote terminal for Bell permits for connection to analogue TV's, so no need for DTA type devices, and full whole home capability and full channel selection in all location (and wireless too).

They also have full Internet channels for OTT channels like Netflix and Crave right on the device - integrated alongside the sattellite stations.

And finally, when you consider that  rogers still has no true pick and pay of channels that allow for reduced prices as you increase your number of channels, they go the basic pick and pay price, or theme packs, with the same old channels that few people watch, and who knows what you will get on your DTA once you set things up. I keep hearing starter mix only - I may as well put up a digital over the air antenna in my GTA area instead, and the in home one I tried did a pretty good job - sure not good for everyone, but an option to consider.

So Rogers really needs to get its act together on fair pricing, consistent messaging from CSR's and techs and giving the power to front line CSR's to build packages that meet our needs, not build for greatest profit for Rogers.  If most of the other providers can do it, Rogers can too, just is choosing not to.  There is not much competition, but if they are not careful, they risk losing huge numbers of cable customers to the alternatives, and when they go, most will take everything and get bundle prices elsewhere. Sure one time cost of hardware and set up, but even those are coming down rapidly, and most of the 3rd party ones list off all supported modems and other equipment, and you can get them from them or from ebay and other sources.

As to the original question, what will you get on a DTA - it seems that there is a large range of different messages, and many of us have lost channels, while some have lost none - there is no valid reason for us to lose the original channels we were getting in our packages, which are also in the new packages, other than to encourage us to buy another digital settop box and pay the digital fee.  Just another nickel and diming money grab.

I don't think any of us will know what we get on a DTA until we see it, and as we change packages, it looks like we can expect that to change up, or maybe not.  That is the problem, we often don't know what we are really getting until we get it, and then good luck negotiating to go back (you generally can't), or to convince them that you were not well informed and by contract, the most you can do is cancel the service within 30 days, no penalties, just the cost of the service you used, and then you have no services.  Make me do that and I know what I would do - I would be gone, gone, gone, in a blink of an eye.

So keep asking, maybe we will someday get a consistent answer on things like what does a DTA get, how is loyalty better than new packages, what is aconsistent and fair loyalty packaging and pricing, and getting choice of our desired tv watching at fair prices.  Rogers does not seem in any hurry to do this, but competition may soon force them in that direction, but tomake it happen, we have to be prepared to walk.

I will acknowledge that with 24 years, that has been difficult to do, but as I shop around and see what others have, my insane addiction to things I don't care about on TV, and desire to just not bother to change is being quickly overcome.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree with a lot of what BS said.

Rogers is very behind technologically in their Cable TV division, and we all know this, but we still pray that their technology performs as expected which we all know does not always happen.

What I'm trying to say is they operated their Analogue Cable Network a lot longer than they should have, which is why they came out with the Digital Transport Adapters in the first place. If they had migrated everyone off their Analogue cable earlier or do it differently like take the bite and offer a full fledged Set Top Box, be it Standard Definition, they would not be having this problem with missing channel lineups that they have today but they did not go this route and that's why we are having such discussion.

I too think the DTA50 can actually handle the channel lineup that the regular Set Top Boxes get, but it could cost them more to make custom channel maps on the DTA to mimic the channel lineups on the STBs that they probably said NO to the vendor and kept it simple to either force people to get a full fledged STB or to leave cable all together and become a Chord Cutter or go with Antenna

Either way you look at it, the recent announcement about them Abandoning their attempted In House IPTV solution and all the waisted R&D money they dumped into it that is now a huge loss for them and it does not look good for customers like us who put our faith and trust in the Rogers brand to deliver top notch customer experience with leading edge technology and innovation.

I'm Here A Lot

This morning, we lost channels 30-63, on only 1 of the digital adaptors, in our house. If you try to click on, say channel 36, either using Channel +/-, or inputting with the numbers, you first get the Service I terruption box, then a black screen. The other adaptors, in the house, still work.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sounds like it possibly is a signal drop, just on that particular connection?

if they are going through one splitter, etc.. could just be the one port of it.

I'm Here A Lot

ALL of our Digital Adaptors were replaced today, by Rogers, with full digital boxes (no charge for the equipment, at least, for the first year). As they change customers' TV packages, they are filtering out the channels, so they no longer come through the adaptors. They want to be able to charge for equipment rentals and they are phasing out the adaptors.