DTV E940

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

DTV E940

Just recently my DTV E940 Scientific Atlanta and my father's DTV E940 stopped turning on, the LED green light won't even show anymore. Today we called Rogers about it and are going to Rogers to replace for the third time in about a year. We swithed these two just 5 mouths ago. I don't know where these things are being made but I tell these boxes are no good if this nonsence keeps up and I don't like that we have to pay $5 a month per box for such poor equipment. 

I read comments on online that it could be the cheap power outlet extensions that could be causing the DTV E940 to go dead due to a power outage or when turning the power outlet extension off.  If I remeber correctly when replacing the others boxes a while ago, we had many power outages and afterwards those DTV boxes died. Well over last Friday before leaving the house for the weekend, we all turned off our power outlet extensions around the place. So when we got back last Sunday, out of 4 boxes we own, two of it died. I guess might buy a decent power outlet extension and hopefully this can stop happening because it's a real pain having to go back and replace it once more. 

I'm sorry Rogers but maybe invest in better equipment for your customers because we are already paying $70+ for cable each mouth and recieving terrible equipment. Before digital tv came out, basic cable was so simple and less of a pain, what a shame where technology leads today. 

***Edited Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: DTV E940

I had a 940 for quite a number of years without issues..

But generally.. most problems you see with these boxes, usually are from the power unit for it.

Other than keeping it on a good power bar to watchout for surges.. there is not much you can do.

That is one reason with the rental over buying.. that the CAN be swapped as many as times as necessary with any failures/problems.
Vs normally only having 1-2 year warranties.. would be out of luck if bought.
(this goes for any equipment.. my surround sound died 2 weeks after its warranty ran out.. was cheaper to replace than repair)

I've Been Around

does anyone in the rogers community knows when will the rogers sd tv box DTV E940 be phased out or software stop working or just plain not work any more for rogers cable in toronto i would like to know to prepare myself i own the sd tv box by the way

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi josereyes2001, its hghly unlikely that anyone knows this info, even rogers may not know this. This info is usually determined much later in an iptv rollout so yeah your probably good for a few more years

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its usually a long time before they completely cut stuff off... they have really only done it ONCE that i recall, where they cut off the PACE boxes (and i think ONE model cisco one), some of the most oldest rogers digital boxes.

Right now, they are not really 'selling' / renting the SD boxes anymore.. but doesn't mean that they will cut them off.

And there are OLDER SD boxes out there than that one.

They are still supporting the DTAs, which are even a much more basic digital box.

They will make an announcement before they do decide to cut them off.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I've seen other TV providers who have discontinued older equipment, they usually give you ample notice and in most cases they will replace your set top box no cost and provide you with a suitable replacement.