DTA Channels

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: DTA Channels

I was asking about plans today, and the CSR confirmed that if we change our TV package in any way from our old plans, all in market plans provide only the Starter channels on DTA and to get additional channels, which will actually be your whole package mix, you need at minimum the HD terminal.

So, in a sense, they are phasing out the DTA's through providing only a limited service on them.

In our case, we are now doing a serious look at digital antenna and alternative OTA models - the TIVO PVR and whole home TV model attached to OTT Internet based broadcasters, and a digital antenna is pretty slick.

We are looking at just ending our relationship with traditional TV, which is Rogers, and all the competitors.  We fortunately live in an area with excellent reception on over 30 channels via digital antenna.  I have talked to neighbours - 15 have gone up in the last year, and other than a few bad days, the signal is great - they just switch to OTT during those times, or do something else.

In our area, the infrastructure is not great anyway, my cable and Internet drops on every rainy day - I can see that from my samknows white box summaries - I watch it go bad with every rain storm - they have been out do do work on infrasture in the area 5 times in the last two years, with 3 of them major outages.  At individual homes pretty regularly too.

So I am paying for unreliable signals, why?  The DTA and the coming changes in the new packages once my plan runs out are leading me to get less service for less money - rather than less services for more money.

Cable and telco's aren't the only game in town.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@BS wrote:

I was asking about plans today, and the CSR confirmed that if we change our TV package in any way from our old plans, all in market plans provide only the Starter channels on DTA and to get additional channels, which will actually be your whole package mix, you need at minimum the HD terminal.

So, in a sense, they are phasing out the DTA's through providing only a limited service on them.

I think you have the answer to this mystery, Bruce.  Here is Rogers'  support page on the DTA.

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/adapter/281?setLanguage=en

The link to how one may obtain a DTA no longer works. It was noble of Rogers to make these available for free a couple of years ago and no doubt they satisfied customers with old TVs on basic cable,  but that was the end of the gravy train and now Rogers wants to make money.  But it is commendable that Rogers didn't abandon customers with old technology.  I remember when Rogers switched to GSM wireless.  Even though I'd lost my original Rogers cell phone, they sent me a letter that I would get a new GSM one for free.  Hardly anyone does that anymore (other than Microsoft foisting that abominable Windows 10 on people).

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Another suggeation for BS which I not only recommend but I also stand by it is to purchase a good condition USED / Second Hand digital standard definiton set top box. You can probably find one for about $20 bucks or so which is a GREAT price.

You will keep all your channels you will ALSO Get access to VOD and music stations too and since its already paid for ur bill wont go up and they seem to last. My parents have had theyres for over 10 years and counting now and they still work great.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Great point @Pauly  Hadn't thought of that one.

I have made a decision though about Rogers - with all the changes happening at the same time (DTA, failed IPTV, horrible implementation of Nextbox Navigtr, no clear statements on existing customer bundle modifications and basically forcing us to new bundles, even with discussions with retentions, and the inflexibility and persistence around the pick and pay/package/theme pack model that results in me getting far less choice of my desired channel choices, without ending up back at the popular package, with added channels still required to get just what we want to watch).

I have been looking around and the competition allows me to get just my choice of channels that I want, Internet at levels I desire, and one of the 3rd party wholesale sellers came in at around 30% less, with just the channels I want to watch.  I will no longer pay for channels I don't watch in a "pick and pay" model that forces us to pick packages and theme paks that save me no money and makes me get stuff I will never watch.  This was what CRTC was trying to achieve (let's be honest, it was Canada speaks - so it was customers who used CRTC to demand these changes because they wouldn't listen to us directly) . They tried, but it is hard to move big companies with little competition, except as I am leaning to, just walk.

And the reality is that I have made the decision that I want to get less service for less money.

For now, I will just sit it out to the end of my contract in October, give them one last chance at the retentions model, or as they say, there are sometimes good deals in the early fall.

But in the same way that I decided to live with only one car, and sold the second one (saves cost of running it, and insurance), and cut out a lot of other things, it is time to do a time travel back in time and live with far less TV, or even no cable at all and look at alternatives.

I have worked hard to get a clear statement on DTA's, packages mix available to existing customers, and have received many mixed messages and been given a very firm party line that they want us on the new bundles.

I hope what I learned is helpful for others, but I am done with the mixed messages, and really don't feel like doing the  retentions dance anymore. I am just tired of it all.

Don't get me wrong, I have always loved my Rogers Cable and packages, using them for almost 37 years over time (26 continuous), and have never raised a concern about price or packaging in the last 35 of those. It is only in the last few years, that I have become uncomfortable with the constantly increasing price, removal of stations, the dancing around CRTC decisions as well as not confident in the ability of Rogers to provide a stable implementation of new models of service.

On that note, I have made a decision that I am moving on from this discussion - I have what I need for now, and unless things change in the next 6 months, it will just be time to go - times have changed, Rogers has changed, technology and costs have changed, and it no longer fits my lifestyle choices, so time to break the addiction to my TV.  Guess that has been my biggest challenge - the reality I have already reached that it is time to go just letting go can be difficult after so many years of just watching TV and just paying the bills as they came.

Thanks everyone for your support and excellent research supporting me and others to make the best consumer decisions in an educated manner and digging away to get clarity to the constant changes that seem to come every 3 months now.  Here's to enjoying your entertainment with your choices at best prices possible.

As a last point, maybe it is a good thing that it seems that Rogers is simplifying their model of packages and pricing and equipment - the current mess is so confusing and complicated that it is just frustrating for me as a customer, and for most of the CSR's, and retention staff.  There are just too many permeations of mixed models (consider that I am on grandfathered plans, with various loyalty discounts, and looking for changes to best meet my needs and the surprise to learn that that practice of excellent loyalty offers (never asked for any of them - they offered), and now complete resistance, and removal of loyalty discounts and no clear sign of any return, except by trying to get a break through retentions, which I am not interested in doing anymore, that is not loyalty, that is the car sales model.  

Maybe once the old contracts are all out of the system things will become more stable and predictable and a reasonable model of loyalty can be reintroduced, rewards loyalty more than the discounts to new customers - retention and loyalty I would hope is more important than losing us, while trying to encourage customers of other companies to change. Time will tell, but for now, I am done.  It has been a great run.

Thanks all.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I understand BS. If I wasnt married and still lived with my parents I would probably drop rogers cable and try an alternate provider possibly bell. I really like their whole home pvr solution and their iptv platform.