DTA Channels

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

DTA Channels

These are the channels I have with a digital transport adapter:

1-59, 62-64, 67SEC1, 70, 95-97, 129, 988SEC1. 989SEC2, 990SEC3, 991SEC4

All the channels containing "SEC" are blank and a box with a message to call the Rogers 800 number comes up. What are they?

***Edited labels***

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: DTA Channels

Those SEC channels, are set aside for security cameras.  Some apartments/condos allow you to tune to a channel, and view the loby cam.
Those are set aside for that.. but the apartment must have udated QAM cameras to have them viewable by those channels, i believe.

I

I've Been Around

does anyone know why the digital adapter keeps resetting itself?? all the time...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

All the time? as in how often?  Multiple times a day?

This isnt something i have heard reported by anyone around here.. so i dont think its common...
I dont think these things do the 2am-ish reboot that the other digital boxes do.. so it shouldnt be that..

It COULD Be a faulty DTA.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@marijalondon wrote:

does anyone know why the digital adapter keeps resetting itself?? all the time...

Are you sure your talking about a digital adapter?  DA's don't even turn off... they have a small green light that is ALWAYS on. The power button on the small remote does nothing until its programmed for your tv, then it will turn your tv on/off, but it doesn't turn the DA on/off. 

Check your power cord to ensure its seated properly in the back of the adapter, and the wall outlet.

I'm an Enthusiast

Without the DTA we get 1-58 in analog. With the DTA we get only 1-36. If we want the missing channels it will cost $30 + $5 for a digital box on top of the $45 we pay now. Does everyone else pay this much for those channels?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Cap, what exact package are you on??

There are people with a fair number of basic (below vip) packages, who have been able to get the full spectrum with the DTA.

You shouldnt have to pay 45+30+5...

At bare min, if its something with your current plan, you would even be better to switch to the digital TV package at $38.. i think it has most of them... may have to go up to the digital  plus at 60 though.

But with any of these, to get the FULL range of stations, yes you would have to get a $5 rental digital box.. but still could use a DTA for receiving the channels listed as above in this thread (just cant get the other ones the package provides.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Thats the funny thing with Digial these days.  Once you need and have digital equipment connected, everything is controlled by the head end.  This is what a lot of people don't understand.  Long gone are the days of being able to run as many lines as you want, and getting "free" channels by accident.  There's still a number of people who get free cable (either by mistake, or by tampering with lines, etc) but this move will level the playing field so to say.

Chances are Cap was getting all analogue channels because a tech forgot to place a filter on his line... and its been like this for years... it makes him believe that this is what he's paying for and expected to get... but in reality he was not paying for those channels, and was getting all those "extra" channels essentially for free...

Now comes the digital adapter.  This give him exactly what he's paying for, and if its suddenly cut out above chan 36, then that means he was actually on a lower package then he thought.

Theres going to be a lot of people in the coming months who are in the same situation as Cap, and will probably come here to complain through their nose that Rogers is/has s***wed them.. when all it takes is a little effort in reading your monthly cable bill to understand that they're only giving you what your actually paying for. (not saying your complaining Cap, just trying to generalize the situation - message was not directed at you directly).

I'm an Enthusiast

OK. What I'd really like to know is how much will it really cost to get channels 1-60, and since I assume I'll need a digital box for each outlet in the house, why would I need a digital adaptor as well? Won't all the channels be passing through the digital box? It's sounds like watching TV is going to become a very expensive proposition what with package upgrades, HD, PVR, etc. No wonder so many young people are going without cable/satellite. I find I watch it less and less. A few ballgames, a movie, shows on TVO and PBS. So much is useless garbage or programming that has no interest for me. Ethnic or French-language channels, shopping channels, negative news channels, children's tv, etc. I keep what we can for my wife and kids. I can't see spending over a hundred bucks a month just for TV. Rogers and Bell are killing the goose that lays golden eggs if they keep raising the cost of a once simple past-time.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No, box wise.. at MINIMUM, all you would need is the FREE DTAs for each tv. 

If you are choosing to use a full digital box (SD, HD, PVR, etc) then yes, you would need to buy/rent these ones.. but you do NOT need to then use a DTA, etc as well with it.

Really, the DTA, is not much more than what those OLDSCHOOL tuners were, way back in they day when most TVs tuners only went to 13+, and you had 30 or more channels.  Its doing much the same thing.. its just able to decode the digital signal.

Channels 1-60, still may varry from region to region, based on where you are, you may get some/less certain ones (multicultural ones, etc).

really you have to look at the lists, for the stations you want, and see which packge covers what.
Digital TV package, covers i think more of the 1-30ish range.. and digital plus give you more into the 60ish range (food network, etc).

Using the DTA, you will get the 1-60 range, and the other channels listed in the above list.
There may be MORE with the package.. but can only be viewed, if renting/buying a full digital box.

In many ways, its simpiler than before, especialy with PVRs, etc.. up till a few years ago, my inlaws didnt have any digital boxes, still used a paper TV guide, struggled with a VCR to always record.  They saw how the PVR worked at our place... and never turned back... i never get a call from them anymore on 'how do i set the vcr again?" 😛
BUT... it is a costly change, to go all that way unfortunately 😞

I am all for cheaper pricing, change of how packages work, etc. 
But i fully agree with people who drop it as well... its a costly thing.. and its an EXTRA, there are always other means, and other things to do as well.