DD shows on Nextbox 3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

DD shows on Nextbox 3

I have just got a Nextbox 3.  Before I had a Scientific Atlantic box.   Many older shows that were probably broadcast in SD appeared in full screen and looked HD (or close to it) on my old box.   With my Nextbox many shows that come in SD now show up with a small picture with black bars top, bottom and both sides (I know I can change the aspect ratio on my TV but this just enlarges the picture and cuts off the edges) and visibly poor resolution.   I have tried changing the settings to 1080i but this does not help.  Any ideas for getting the quality I had with my old box?

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: DD shows on Nextbox 3

Unfortunately you can't 😞

The old box, the HD channels it showed in 1080i, but an sd channel came through as 480i, so it full screened them.

The nextbox 2 and 3, all up convert everything to 1080i. So it adds the black bars. (Fills anything above 480i with black)

I'm a Senior Advisor

Have you tried the Aspect (#) button on your remote? On my 8300 I use it to zoom some channels to full screen.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

To add to GDKitty's response:

The SA boxes were defaulted to 'pass-through'  the resolution it was sent...so an SD channel would be sent thru the box to the TV at SD resolution, and the TV would handle the display, whether thru 'pillarboxing' or stretching. This setting could be changed, but most people didn't know or didn't care.

The Nextboxes 'upconvert' so that the guide can be displayed in HD (a HUGE complaint many had with the SA boxes).  So now the box only passes one resolution to the tv.  In addition to the HD guide, it makes channel changes faster, as the TV doesn't have to adjust resolution.

As an aside, filling the TV with an Sd picture isn't better 'quality'....in order to fill the screen, you either stretch the picture, distorting it ( people look fatter, for example), or you zoom it, cutting off part of the picture.  Pillarboxing actually shows you the picture as it was intended to be seen.

As another aside, NEVER use the 1080p setting on the Nextbox 3.  Its known to be flakey.  And since nothing on broadcast TV is over 1080i anyway, its kind of unnecessary.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

thinking back, to when i had my 8300... i actually ocassionaly (usually once a week) ran into a bug too.

When it was flipping modes between channels.. and SD and an HD.. the box would click as you hear it go from 480 to 1080, and the TV would have to change input modes.

When flipping channels rapidly, it would flip modes quite quickly.. and ocassionaly the TV itself would lock up.. requiring me to unplug and reboot it 😞

I Plan to Stick Around

I find it pretty disappointing myself that none of the zoom options stretch a letterboxed SD feed to the proper ratio. It's been that way on all of the Nextboxes.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Having an 8300, not a NextBox, I don't know how or if the Aspect button on the remote works on the latter. It works on my 8300HD, but not on my 8300SD. However, the TV remotes on both those TVs also have aspect/picture buttons which work. The Sanyo 42" TV with the 8300SD has 7 different picture shapes available. Am I to understand that the NextBox does not allow you to control the picture size/shape even with the TV remote?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

the truth is that the aspect ratio does not do anything on SD boxes, the software on the box does not respond to the aspect button when in CBL mode, but HD boxes do utilize the Aspect button, and will stretch/zoom the picture.

if u have an SD box, then u adjust the stretch/zoom setting from your tv, but this might cut off the program guide,  but in HD box, the box itself adjusts th picture and does not cut off the program guide.

hope this helps

I Plan to Stick Around

Nextbox has 4 settings for the aspect ratio: normal, stretch, zoom 25%, and zoom 50%. You would think the 25% would work but it also stretches and distorts the picture.
Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 in conversation