Crashing and Rebooting

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Crashing and Rebooting

Our Nextbox 3.0 crashes and reboots at least once a day.  It usually occurs with Recorded TV.  We will delete a show and the box get hung up "Deleting.." for up to hours at a time.  Eventually the screen will go black and the box will reboot.  When it is hung up, we can't access any recorded TV but can watch live TV?

Does that happen to anyone else?  Will a soft reboot of unplugging the box and plugging it back in help?  Is there a long term solution?

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Crashing and Rebooting

i have heard of 1-2 people on here, with that exact problem.  But it is not a COMMON problem (ie: lots of other users which it does NOT happen to)

Would possibly be worth a box swap.  dont think it would be signal or anything like that related.. as its more hardware based it seems

I Plan to Stick Around

I have two Nextbox 3.0's for a few weeks now and have never experienced anything like that.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Please let me know if you could find a solution (other than swapping ).

Same issue as mine:
http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

I've Been Here Awhile

We have had 4 new PVR 3.0's, 2 in-home service visits and dozens of calls about our PVR rebooting. The signal strength has been checked and it is fine. We are fed up with this rebooting, which happens every day or two. It takes 7-10 minutes for the machine to work after shutting down and often recorded programs are lost. Rogers gas no solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Got to be something from the head end, trying to push something out, or something else.  But may only to be to certain accounts/areas.

With that many exchanges, it cant be purely hardware...

And not every user is experiencing.. so its not a global issue..

I've Been Around

I have been suffering with this same problem since the first day I got my nextbox 3.0.  The specific issues are:

1. The box reboots itself at random - takes at least 5-7 minutes to complete reboot and become available for viewing again

It seems this problem is triggered when selecting a recorded program and pressing play on the remote or when using TV pause feature and pressing play on the remote.  

2. The box routinely forgets to record programs that are scheduled to be recorded.  This is a bloody DVR isn't it? 

These issues occur AT LEAST once daily with even minimal use.

I have repeatedly spoken to rogers about this -- its clearly a software issue -- but they have no fix.  I have already exchanged my box once and the problems are actually worse with the replacement box. 

As far as I'm concerned, Rogers has stolen $500 from me because they've sold me a BUGGY PIECE OF CRAP cable/DVR box that is advertised as cutting edge/best of the best.  Its actually the worst of the worst.  This is a scam and they should be sued for selling malfunctioning equipment to customers.  I will be asking for a refund.

I'm an Advisor

maverickman:

Interesting. Here's what's happened to me after swapping for a second NB 3, My reason for swapping was that I'm constantly getting audio drop outs.

Problem 1:

Last night, I tried to set up a recording of a series of CTV News At 6. I entered all the usual stuff (record every day in the same time slot, etc.). After I saved it, there were no recordings scheduled at all. I went into the guide for that channel (518), and there was no recording indicator set for any day of the week. I tried scheduling 1 episode for the next day and that worked fine. I then tried modifying it to record the series instead, and got the series icon beside tomorrow's recording, so I figured all was good. Wrong. There was nothing scheduled beyond tomorrow. I have lots of other series set up for recording and they all work fine.

Problem 2:

I recorded a movie a couple of days ago. When I went to watch it last night, it got as far as showing the TMN introduction, where it shows a spinning graphic for a few seconds before starting the movie. The box froze during the spinning graphic and would not advance past it no matter what I did. I did a reboot, but it didn't help, so I deleted the recording because it was useless.

Problem 3:

Last night, at about 9PM, the box showed DNLD in its display, which I have seen before. I wasn't watching or doing any recordings at the time, but powered it on to see what showed up on the screen. It had a message saying it was downloading something and that it might require a reboot. It went on for quite a long time, which was unusual. Normally, when I see DNLD in the display, it completes very quickly. That aside, what I was really surprised about was that Rogers would be pushing something to the box at 9PM. Really? Surely there's a better time of day than that.

Problem 4:

Last night, I was getting the this service is unavailable message for almost every TMN/HBO channel that I watch. That was before I saw the DNLD message. Just checked today, and they are still "unavailable". I will try yet another reboot to see if that fixes it.

I'm pretty much at my wit's end with the NB 3. I'm taking it back to the Rogers store where I rented it and am going to tell them it's unsatisfactory. I rented it with the 3 year option to purchase, so I expect some hassle about canceling the rental because renting it actually created a 12 month commitment to the cable service, which I didn't realize was the case until I received my email from Rogers about the change to my cable account.

I have a perfectly serviceable 8300HD PVR, which I set aside when I got the NB 3. The 8300 is 9 years old and still works perfectly. I never got audio drop outs, which is the biggest issue I have with the NB 3, and I know for a fact that my signal strength is good because I monitor it in the Service Menu. All readings are normal, according to a Cisco document I found that explains how to interpret the Service Menu screens. I’ll be much happier when I get my 8300 reauthorized. I had it unauthorized when I got the NB 3 because I thought I would eventually sell it. I held off, though, because of all the issues I’ve had with the NB 3.

Edit: Rebooting fixed the service unavailable problem, but I'm still unable to do a series recording on channel 518. After the long DNLD last night, I was hoping Rogers had pushed a software update, but no such luck. My box was manufactured in July 2013 and the hardware and software versions are still from then. I understood from someone else on this forum that he has a more recent software version. Also noticed that there's a huge difference on some channels between high and low signals, which are measured in dbmv. I'm seeing some as low as 4 and others as high as over 13. The low readings are in white, which means they're supposedly OK, but I've never seen this before. The high readings are yellow, which means they're slightly too high.

I'm Here A Lot

We had our NB 3 replaced last weekend.  I didn't get any hassle when I called.  They told me I had a hardware issue and the box needed to be replaced.  We got the new box home and it is clearly a used one as it is fairly scratched.  But, it works fine and we don't need to look at the box itself.

Hoping third time is a charm.  I like the concept of what I signed up for!!!

I'm Here A Lot

Us too, though less re the loss of recorded programs. But if a program just has a few minutes to go, it won't be saved to disk Smiley Sad