Constant PVR Recording Issues since upgrading IPG - Cisco 8642HD

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Constant PVR Recording Issues since upgrading IPG - Cisco 8642HD

Is anyone else experiencing constant issues with the new IPG?

- scheduled recordings not working despite appearing in the guide as scheduled

- recorded programs erasing when there isn't even remotely a lack of storage space

- constant warnings about not being enough memory and needing to manage recordings again when storage capacity isnt even remotely full

- frequent "Catalog Error" messages in On Demand.

I have found I can't rely at all on "Record New Episodes Only" as it's completely 50/50 as to whether or not it will record.

I have now changed all of my series to just record based only on the chanel/date/timeslot, and also "save until I erase" to see if it improves.

Maybe I've got a faulty box...I figured I'd check here and if others are experiencing the same issues I'll chalk it up to poor products/services.....otherwise I'll swing by the Rogers store this weekend and have them give me a new PVR.

***Edited labels***

I've Been Around

Re: Constant PVR Recording Issues since upgrading IPG - Cisco 8642HD

THe same is happening to me, I will be calling Rogers. This is not acceptable for the monthly price I pay for the Cisco 8642HD. Tonight my wife's show did not record as planned, box told me that there was not enough space and it was at 50% full. It's not the first time this has happened.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Mine has been recording fine.. recorded everything in the right timeslots last night.

Only time i have got a not enough room, was when the box was 90+% full.

Have both of you tried rebooting the box yet?

I've Been Here Awhile

Had the same issue. Rogers answer for a fix is reboot, reboot and reboot. Just revert to the old IPG. I know it looks bad but at least it works. 5 weeks ago I was told the issues was going to be fixed 4 weeks ago. I see it's still a problem. 14 months left on the contract and counting.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I had to reboot the old IPG (mind you, on an 8300) more than i have to on my 8642 Smiley Tongue

In the end.. the PVR's... are much like a computer.   Its more than just a basic converter box..
Like most computers.. 9/10 times.. a reboot will often clear a hickup.

No one really expect to keep their PC on for years without ever having to restart it..

I Plan to Stick Around

plenty of posts in the issue... search IPG or "enhanced Guide", mine works fine after downgrading to old guide.  I think basically everyone who has it, is a Beta Tester ( and doesn't know it), kinda like when Microsoft rolls out a New Os or Office update, always best to let the bug fixes get put in before rushing to update to latest software.

I'm Here A Lot

i've rebooted many times...rebooted again last night after posting, so we'll see if there is any improvement, but really there were issues with the old IPG too

i miss TiVO HD from when i lived in the US for a few years....so much better.  wish it was supported in canada so i could be done with these garbage cisco/scientific atlanta boxes

I've Been Around

Our Rogers TV contract was up a couple of months back and prices were about to skyrocket as our discount from the last couple of years was being discontinued.  We had 2 PVRs and 1 HD box and were offered the Whole Home PVR instead, at the same price as before.  It seemed like a no brainer, we would get the same service and have access to all programming via one main PVR, same exact setup as before.  We were assured that everything would be the same.  The techs came to install everything, two showed up on time but had forgotten one of the boxes, left and returned an hour later.  They had to drill holes from the outside of the house as apparently the previous Rogers tech who installed a line last year had done so incorrectly.  Approximately 6 hours later everything was finished, after countless calls from the techs to head office as the boxes weren't updating, etc.  The techs were friendly and expressed their frustrations at how difficult the setup was, they talked about spending 10+ hours at homes without even finishing the job as software wasn't updating, downloading, etc.  Once everything was complete we tried to see how everything worked and were not expecting to be told that the PVR in the Whole Home PVR setup could only record 2 shows at a time.  We previously had 2 PVRs which would each record 2 shows at a time.  We now had 1 PVR that could record 2 shows, over 3 TVs, not what we expected and not what we were told.  We were told over the phone that we would receive an Extender for the PVR to be able to accommodate the extra space required for recording more shows but they were out of stock and would be mailed to us within 6 weeks.  We also soon realized that there was no caller ID for our Rogers phone service, something else that was never mentioned.  The actual Whole Home PVR setup didn't even work properly, with the shows on the regular boxes (not the PVR) would take forever to load, would often crash or simply not be able to access the main PVR.  The techs left for the day saying there was nothing they could do.  I called Rogers tech support after they left and a very nice lady informed me that the techs were wrong, that the PVR should record up to 4 shows at once, and that she specifically remembered that from her own training on the Whole Home PVR.  She put me on hold and returned to tell me that the information she received was incorrect and that it was only 2 shows.  She was nice enough to allow us to opt out of the Whole Home PVR setup and switch us back to having 2 PVRs and 1 regular box at the same price.  A different Rogers tech showed up the next day with an older silver PVR (I forget the model #s sorry) which he said he was there to switch out.  He removed the filter for Whole Home PVR, removed the one regular box and went to remove the other PVR, as according to his work order he was supposed to switch out the new PVR for an old one, instead of adding another one.  After another call to tech support they finally figured things out and left us with one regular box, one old silver PVR and one new Nexbox PVR without Whole Home setup.  I decided to let sleeping dogs lie and kept the new Netbox PVR despite the lack of called ID functionality and the extremely limited options.  While I like the HD design and the fact that it fits on my screen nicely, there are so many missing features that its ridicuous.  This is new tech, its supposed to have more features than the old, not less.  It doesn't even have a slow-motion button and if you press the Favourite Channel button it takes you to a list of the channels, even if you have 1 and you have to select it, instead of simply changing to your Fave Channels 1 after the other like the old one did.  The lag is laughable, there are only 2 display features with 1 Rogers themed colour scheme, it doesn't automatically stretch 4:3 shows into full screen, it reboots itself every night and often loses changes made the previous day.  Any simple task involves extra redundant button pushes, you can't 'browse by' anymore, the search function works but can be tedious.  Scheduling a manual recording is ridiculous, it doesn't allow you to select a specific time to start and stop, instead giving you pre-selected times beginning in 15 minute incraments from the current time.  Even the limited featured don't work properly.  This past week has been even worse, the thing just randomly shuts down and restarts at different times of the day, interrupting recordings for up to 10 minutes that it takes for it to restart, run the blue screen and the red bar at the bottom, chopping out chunks of recordings while it does that.  It does seem to have a larger hard drive but that could be my imagination.  When they first brought this to my house I asked for an instruction manual and was told they didn't have one, that it was just like the old machine and that it was very easy to use.  I am patient and can live with it but I know many people that would have thrown a fit if they had to put up with this.  This is what happens when there is no competition, the few companies you have to choose from are all mediocre, charge what they want and we can't do much about it.

I Plan to Stick Around

I feel your pain Edge99... funny thing is I don't think we can even complain to the media because, one set of stations is owned by Bell and the other by Rogers. And if a Bell station says something bad about Rogers then there are likel legal ranglings that come into play... Happy Capitalism Smiley Happy
I've Been Here Awhile

All the "Series" that I have scheduled to record are not recording. It was working fine a couple of weeks ago. I've tried rebooting but doesn't seem to make any difference. Individual shows seem to record OK but scheduled series.