Connecting PVR, VCR, DVD to the TV set

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Connecting PVR, VCR, DVD to the TV set

How do I hook up my pvr + vcr + dvd players to my sony flatscreen t v -any help appreciated Smiley FrustratedLondon-Ontario

*Edited Labels*

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Connecting PVR, VCR, DVD to the TV set

Hello, @kathianna6

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

I appreciate posting your query in the Community. You can connect the PVR to the TV through the HDMI cable. We need to know the other inputs supported on your TV and the outputs of the VCR and DVD player. 

You can provide us with the model of your TV and also make/model of the VCR and DVD player. If you are not able to find the make/models you can upload the pictures of the connections available at the back of the VCR and DVD player.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kathianna6 : As mentioned above, it'd be very useful if you provided us with the makes/models of all of your equipment, including the TV.  You would typically use the "best" connection available on the "sending" device to connect to the TV (the receiving device).  You would then need to switch the input on the TV to the appropriate one to watch/listen to the respective devices.

For the PVR, that would probably be HDMI.

For the VCR, that would probably be composite video (yellow for video) and analogue audio (red/white)

For the DVD player, it would depend on the player but could be HDMI, or the same as for VCR, or component video (red/green/blue) plus analogue audio.  See the following link on the types of connections:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/76085-faq-cables-connections.html

Although the DVD player may have a digital audio output, like Optical, the TV will likely not have an optical input, only an optical output, so the digital audio connection to the TV will likely not work.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have a SA8300HD PVR I bought just before the Nextbox first came out.

Earlier this week,a HDMI port was blocked with the message that HDCP was needed .

I did the whole unplug power to all devices. I did all that as suggested here and it fixed the problem with that port.

But what it didn't fix was the RCA video audio output. Now it will only output the channel that the PVR is set to. So now I can't use my VHS player to record some programs I want to keep.

Is there a way to fix that port to open it  again. There is a programming mode built in,but if Rogers blocked it before the box, nothing can be done. No other choices to watch but one channel selected on the PVR

Hey @Ross_W!

I can appreciate wanting to record content the way you'd like for sure, alas the HD Box is working as intended. You would not be able to copy any HD content to VHS. You can though PVR the content at your leisure.

If you do have any other questions definitely let us know.

@RogersAndy

I'm a Senior Advisor

With my SA8300HD I can copy any recorded show to VHS or DVDR. I believe you can also do it with the Nextbox although it's not on the menu. Maybe someone with a Nextbox can help.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you record the programme to the PVR first, then with the proper (composite video/RCA audio) connection to the VCR, you should be able to hit "play" on the PVR, and "record" on the VCR at roughly the same time and the programme should be recorded onto the VCR.  The VCR will need to be set to the proper input (usually something like video 1 or L1 or similar.)

I haven't heard of any issues with this procedure, although some newer DVD recorders "obey" macrovision, CGMS-a, or other copy protection, most VCRs do not "see" anything like this coming from the Nextbox PVR.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have it all the same way as it was now as it was before the HDMI Block .
What about an analog unit to to USB to digitize VCR tapes. I’ve been doing that for a couple of years with no problem. VCR out,thru the converter and then USB cable from it to MacBook to record in mpeg . I transfer them to thumb drives to play in the USB port on my smart tv. I don’t piarat to anyone. This is another reason I want the rca out ports opened for my own video use.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have the following comments.

1. VCRs don't have CGMS-a, so that would work, but it sounds like you don't want to go that route, although a set of piggyback cables would give you two outputs - one to the VCR, one to whatever else you're using.

2. I have no experience with USB/computer, sorry. Whenever trying to do things digital instead of analogue, you have more possibilities to run into some sort of copy protection - digital rights issues, etc.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I feel so silly forgetting that what I was trying to record had nothing to do with the PVR at all.I got an Amazon fire stick that was plugged into one of the tv’s 4 HDMI  Ports. What threw me off track was that message that came up on the screen about the change to the HDMI Ports being changed for more security but after a reboot of the tv and PVR,It went away.

So, I was trying to copy the streaming video that was only within the tv. There are no rca ports on the tv,and no path back to the PVR to record anything at all.

I can record the analog rca out from the PVR.thru the Elgato digital converter to my Mac.

Ross

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 in conversation