Connecting Laptop to Cable Box

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Connecting Laptop to Cable Box

I was wondering if anyone would know if it were possible for me to connect my laptop to the TV cable box? My laptop has an HDMI outlet and I know the cable box as one too. I'm just wondering if it would work, using the TV as a monitor. And if it makes any difference, it's an older tv as in a CRT TV.

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Connecting Laptop to Cable Box

Your tv doesn't have hdmi, so you wanted to use the cable box as a converter?

Unfortunately no, the hdmi on the boxes are output only.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

hi there, what exactly are you trying to do? connect the laptop to the TV?  if so this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ROGERS DIGITAL SET TOP BOX.   You need to find a special cable or device for your laptop to output it to a standard definition tv set.   The rogers box has both hd and sandard definitoin output but youor lap top chances are it only outputs HD.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I suppose you want to connect your laptop to the cable box because your TV does not have an HDMI input. neither does the cable box, because that would be an output. Maybe you need an adapter to connect to the old CRT TV. Even then, it may not be avle to display a digital signal. Maybe it's time to upgrade to a new flat screen TV.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario