Connected new Netbox 2.0 - now home theatre external speakers wont play tv audio

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Connected new Netbox 2.0 - now home theatre external speakers wont play tv audio

Hi,

I just upgraded to the Netbox 2.0 pvr and home connection package.   The Rogers technician came set up Netbox home access and as far as I can tell simply swapped out the cables from the old pvr to the new pvr and now there seems to be a disconnect when trying to play my tv audio to my home theatre system.  

The tv displays that the tv audio is switching to external speakers and then there is no audio.   Home theatre speakers works fine for dvd, radio audio, etc but can't get the tv sound through the surround sound.

Rogers cable line runs directly to the Netbox then I have the HDMI cable running from the Netbox 2.0 to the Sony tv.  I then have a HDMI cable running from Sony TV to Sony Blue Ray Home Theatre System BDVe280.   This is the same set up I did before and it worked fine prior to the Netbox 2.0 install. 

Has this happened to anyone else and any suggestions on a fix or change in set up?     

Any assist would be appreciated!

***Edited labels***

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Connected new Netbox 2.0 - now home theatre external speakers wont play tv audio

Hi,

Generally connections are done the other way around for HDMI type services.   The Rogers device would normally connect HDMI to your audio system first, and an HDMI output from your audio system would then go to your TV.   That way if you have more than one HDMI source only one connection is required to go to your TV and your audio device acts as a switcher.   On the Nextbox 2.0 unit make sure that the audio output selected overy HDMI is digital 5.1.  I  can't recall if defaults this way or sometimes it may only be 2-channel as a default for digital outputs.

You have have connected it the way you did so that you can use your TV speakers sometimes and the audio system other times, but generally things don't work as well in this direction.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Connected new Netbox 2.0 - now home theatre external speakers wont play tv audio

Yeah.. i am guessing, that it was working before... via sound into the TV via HDMI, then using ARC, for audio back to the surround sound.

Generally though, you would want to use hdmi to the surround sound, then the out of that to the TV.
(though, the boxed bluray ones often dont have many inputs, etc).

Does the surround sound have any other options, like an optical audio in ?