Comparing Channel Lists and Packages

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Comparing Channel Lists and Packages

There is no real easy way.. may require a little manual labour so to speak.

create a little spreadsheet/matrix.

You can look up the channels on the rogers site... and it will show what packages they are available in.

So say you look up channel XYZ... and it says its available not in the entry level package, but the two higher.
Mark that down.
Keep going for all channels.. should show you then which may be the best option.. if ALL of them fall in the mid package.. no need for the higher.
If only 1-2 are not in the begining package.. may be worth just adding them onto the begining package?

I Plan to Stick Around

I get your basic idea. Will have to give it a try and see how it will work.

Lots of elbow grease though.

Thank you

I'm a Senior Advisor

@QueJoder  And that is where the catch twenty two lies.

I looked over the various packages, we currently have about 20 channels that don't lie in the starter package.

Adding them on individually or as theme packs, drives that price up rapidly.

Next I looked at the select - and a few channels we watch are there, but again, it drives the price up again.

Next I moved up to the next one - same issue,

To get everything we like to watch, we end up on premier - right where we started with our current VIP, but actually costs more and has less channels - we still have to add a couple on.

When we reviewed the "basic" legacy package we were offered to consider, I did find the listings of all the older packages, but again, getting the channel mix, we ended up at VIP again.  Boy they have laid these out perfectly to drive people to higher levels to get what they want.

Unlike two other service providers I have reviewed, one big one, and one 3rd party - they have ala carte - rates for one channel start at 4.00 or 10 for 20, and we can get the mix we want for cheaper as we don't have to get the things we never watch - I turned off 90% of the 900 channels, with about 60 left from channel 99 and below - basically the basic cable I got before things went digitial and there were only about 120 channels total including speciality channels.  So we are basically watching the same tv we have watched for decades, but pricing pushed up to the VIP with changes in channel mixes and speciality channel pricing, so we ended up there and complained about everything we did not watch, and over time, just forgot it all because the VIP really wasn't a bad deal at all.  But not anymore - we have moved to higher prices and less choice with Rogers.

So we are left now hiding additional channels and seeing if we really miss it - we have turned off 6 more in the last week because there was maybe two shows on the network - like BBC canada - one of their comedy shows because my wife likes British Comedy and the car gear show.  Same with the others, no more than 2 shows in a week we actually looked for - not worth paying for - we can live without it.

The outcome of Rogers current models, since I now refuse to pay more for a huge bunch of things I don't watch, just to get the few I really want - I will either cut my watching down, and they lose money on me, or I start looking at OTT solutions and get off cable altogether, and if we do that, what is to keep us with them on any services.

So, the above advice that has been given about figuring out channel mixes - there are lists around, and ways to work with it - not an easy process, but as I have said often, none of the big companies want us to really be able to see what we are paying for and differences between older packages, and different packages and future packages - it looks so good - each one has so many more channels - do you really watch them - take the time to figure out.  And they profile a few channels in the first glance that many people do choose.

After you figure out what you really watch, figure out what you will pay to get it, then start comparing other companies - CRTC has a good tip list on how to prepare for negotiating with companies that suggests first know what you want to watch, and what you want to pay, then work customer relations if you are with the company all ready and see what you can get, but do look at other companies - for me, at this moment, I have various options for Internet, and at least 5 for TV.

So unfortunately, as I said, I figured out what we watch, not it is see if we can cut out more because our goal is less TV for less money, and we will get it somehow - even if it means my wife and I learn how to play cards again, watch Netflix and other OTT solutions, and maybe buy a newspaper again, go for walks.

TV merely keeps us occupied most times when we have nothing else to do, but we can find other things to do - at 60, we have a large history of having no TV or little TV, we know how to do with less.

Good luck to everyone with this journey of figuring out best value for money from the perspective that value is defined by what you really want to pay for, not that one package has more channels in order to get what you want at higher costs.

The only way we as customers can make this change, since they all played games with the CRTC's goals around pick and pay and what the customers wanted, is to opt out of the game - we can all live without 300 plus channels, I can assure you.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

@BS wrote:

@QueJoder  And that is where the catch twenty two lies.

I looked over the various packages, we currently have about 20 channels that don't lie in the starter package.

Adding them on individually or as theme packs, drives that price up rapidly.

Next I looked at the select - and a few channels we watch are there, but again, it drives the price up again.

Next I moved up to the next one - same issue,

To get everything we like to watch, we end up on premier - right where we started with our current VIP, but actually costs more and has less channels - we still have to add a couple on.

When we reviewed the "basic" legacy package we were offered to consider, I did find the listings of all the older packages, but again, getting the channel mix, we ended up at VIP again.  Boy they have laid these out perfectly to drive people to higher levels to get what they want.

Unlike two other service providers I have reviewed, one big one, and one 3rd party - they have ala carte - rates for one channel start at 4.00 or 10 for 20, and we can get the mix we want for cheaper as we don't have to get the things we never watch - I turned off 90% of the 900 channels, with about 60 left from channel 99 and below - basically the basic cable I got before things went digitial and there were only about 120 channels total including speciality channels.  So we are basically watching the same tv we have watched for decades, but pricing pushed up to the VIP with changes in channel mixes and speciality channel pricing, so we ended up there and complained about everything we did not watch, and over time, just forgot it all because the VIP really wasn't a bad deal at all.  But not anymore - we have moved to higher prices and less choice with Rogers.

So we are left now hiding additional channels and seeing if we really miss it - we have turned off 6 more in the last week because there was maybe two shows on the network - like BBC canada - one of their comedy shows because my wife likes British Comedy and the car gear show.  Same with the others, no more than 2 shows in a week we actually looked for - not worth paying for - we can live without it.

The outcome of Rogers current models, since I now refuse to pay more for a huge bunch of things I don't watch, just to get the few I really want - I will either cut my watching down, and they lose money on me, or I start looking at OTT solutions and get off cable altogether, and if we do that, what is to keep us with them on any services.

So, the above advice that has been given about figuring out channel mixes - there are lists around, and ways to work with it - not an easy process, but as I have said often, none of the big companies want us to really be able to see what we are paying for and differences between older packages, and different packages and future packages - it looks so good - each one has so many more channels - do you really watch them - take the time to figure out.  And they profile a few channels in the first glance that many people do choose.

After you figure out what you really watch, figure out what you will pay to get it, then start comparing other companies - CRTC has a good tip list on how to prepare for negotiating with companies that suggests first know what you want to watch, and what you want to pay, then work customer relations if you are with the company all ready and see what you can get, but do look at other companies - for me, at this moment, I have various options for Internet, and at least 5 for TV.

So unfortunately, as I said, I figured out what we watch, not it is see if we can cut out more because our goal is less TV for less money, and we will get it somehow - even if it means my wife and I learn how to play cards again, watch Netflix and other OTT solutions, and maybe buy a newspaper again, go for walks.

TV merely keeps us occupied most times when we have nothing else to do, but we can find other things to do - at 60, we have a large history of having no TV or little TV, we know how to do with less.

Good luck to everyone with this journey of figuring out best value for money from the perspective that value is defined by what you really want to pay for, not that one package has more channels in order to get what you want at higher costs.

The only way we as customers can make this change, since they all played games with the CRTC's goals around pick and pay and what the customers wanted, is to opt out of the game - we can all live without 300 plus channels, I can assure you.

Bruce

Bruce,

You have touched on one of my favourite pet peeves.

The CRTC and their dysfunctionall actions to protect the viewing public from the abuse by most Cable TV  providers. In our case Rogers Communications.

During 2016 and under its public mandate the CRTC claimed it was making decisions to make Cable TV more affordable (in fact plainly affordable) That implies per se that they had deemed the prices the Cable TV providers previously charged as too onerous for users. And included with that the fact that there were hundreds of channels that users had no interest in paying for as they had no use for them. They came up with a few decisions that ended up being a disservice to the Cable TV users.

As a short example, the options Rogers came up with were: pre assembled packages that -oh so conveniently for Rogers- did not offer channels that cover different genres.

Did not offer a price per package eg.   10 channels open for the user to fill in with the individual channels we want (like in Sportsnet + Tree House + CNN + the Movie Channel  + Gusto + Classic Movies + BBC World News + Bein Sports + TSN + Disney).

And that package should cost between $25 to $30 for all ot them. Not $60 to $100 which is the Rogers average price for them by having to buy different packages to end up covering the 10 we want.

That plus $24..99 for the Basic makes the final price absolutely absurd -roughly between $85 and $125

So if my opinion is worth anything the Basic Package $24.99 + the $30 for the 10 channel package = $55 is still more expensive than the $40 that VIP package is worth on the Gigabit package for $99.99 (out of which $60 is for the Internet cost). Rogers is charging way above that

In summary once more CRTC with its decisions defeated the purpose of its mandate received from the voting citizens. In fact paved the way to allow the Cable TV companies to manouvre and increase the final cost charged to customers based on the previous prices before the CRTC latest instructions to the Cable TV companies. I have heard lots of comments about the past connections (inclusive of being part of their staff) to Cable TV  companies of most of the CRTC members and before being elected to join the CRTC. If this last part would be somewhat true it would constitute a heinous precedent.

Clearly Rogers packaging criteria starts by determining how much money they want to get from us, instead of showing us how not to pay for channels we do not want to receive and/or pay for.

My motto as a Rogers Cable TV customer is.

Pay for a package that has only those channels I want to watch and consequently for less money than the packages and/or individuals channels "a la carte" that Rogers has been offering since December 2016 when the deadline imposed by the CRTC came into effect

So there ... My 2 cents worth from the perspective of a Rogers customer.

I Plan to Stick Around

The millenials and next gens as I believe they are called are smart they are not even bothering with cable another reason why we are being gouged. I might ask some of the young ones how they do it LOL. 

I might decide to look into satellite as well because I am not happy  I should not have to do up my own bloody spreadsheet to decide which package would work for me  but it looks like I have no choice and I say again who is the genius that decided to identify the channels with symbols that don't show up when you try to print them off or that was done on my purpose which annoys me even further. If I go to Bell and I can print off the list of channels they may just get my business just for that.  You get less and less information from websites and isn't that the point of the website so people don't have to call in.  Definitely would not be the business model if they had real competition.

I've Been Around

Does any one know how many channels were offered in old VIP package  

I'm a Senior Advisor

@ostafichje wrote:

Does any one know how many channels were offered in old VIP package  

I can't remember exactly, but the last time I went through the Guide it was a lot, like maybe 400-500, with many duplicates and also including time shift and On Demand channels. I'm going through the Guide again with the intend of compiling a list,  but it's a huge ordeal. I really hate Rogers for scrapping the listings by channel number for each package.  If I was a conspiracy theorist, I'd say those listings were removed so customer could not compare old packages to newer, more expensive ones with fewer channels. Once I have my list completed, I'll post it here.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

In my case, after going through all my channels, my wife and I found that we watch a grand total of 35 channels, and could live with 21.  There was a link to a site with all the channels listed, but I can't find it now.

I am not sure it is a conspiracy - I call it laziness - they have been changing channel positions all over the place since the switch from analogue to full digital.

As to why we can't get lists, my own opinion is so that we can't do comparisons easily across companies or within company from plan to plan and to old plans.  Then they can say, this plan is similiar to your old VIP (but you can't really know because it is too hard to make the comparison and we have to take their word for it) Smiley Frustrated

If I find the link I had, I will post it.  So looking forward to seeing yet another list of VIP - which then get lost in the threads.  Gee, wonder if we could get them pinned for easy access?

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

QUOTE from BS

As to why we can't get lists, my own opinion is so that we can't do comparisons easily across companies or within company from plan to plan and to old plans.  Then they can say, this plan is similar to your old VIP (but you can't really know because it is too hard to make the comparison and we have to take their word for it)

UNQUOTE

How so true Brian.

And my own comment now. I should have already faced to do my own due diligence.

I have VIP package and should be doing a list like yours of just what channels i need to have combing them out of the maze of all I do receive and have no interest in watching. And then compare to a basic package and add those not included which i want to watch. Then I could decide if i am better off changing TV packages (I doubt very much it would be the case).

The conclusion would be that Rogers is charging us more for NOT INCLUDING

the channels we dont want to receive which is an ABSURD. That is why they are so secretive about informing which channels are included under each marketed package.

Now it is so cumbersome to find the necessary information required that lazy people like me desist doing it. Rogers counts on our weaknesses when making decisions.
Another Rogers' win.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@QueJoder

Thanks for your comment on all this - and you are so right - by making it difficult, we are left in our busy lives, and just wanting to get on with whatever new package we are getting, we really don't often have the time to do the work necessary to make the comparisons.

My own "due diligence" has involved hours of time here on the forums, along with a number of other people, and I do have a saved file that I found of a PDF of all the packages from Basic all the way up to the various VIP brands that were around, and theme packaging, with all the prices - it is in these forums somewhere in a link, but for the life of me I can't find it - Like I said, it would be great if we could pin these referential links, but I would suspect that is not something that Rogers would want us to do.

I am fortunate - I have a disability, so I am at home many hours of the day and can't work (I have to find some good things out of disabilities), so I have the time to spend on all this.

Again, in these threads are suggestions of how to identify what you watch.  The one I used was hide through settings channel optoins, hide all channels I didn't watch ever - that took it down to about 70.  Then we started going through the stations that we only watched only one or two shows occassionally, and that took us down to around 50, we then marked as favourites all stations that we watch regularly. and got down to 35, and 21 we do really watch, and even some of those can go.

The interesting thing is that when we put those 21 channels together and looked at starter plus pick and pay, or combination pick and pay, and  theme packs, and we ended up with with the premium channels when we looked at the 35, plus two we had to pick as extras.  The bonus channels were a joke, only one in the whole bunch were we interested in, but it was in the theme pak that gave us the other things we wanted.  So, if we want to stay with the services and channels we want, the package we end up with is usually exactly the same, it just becomes very clear that we are paying for a lot of stuff we don't want, and in our case, we have decided to not play that game anymore.

So we then compared to other companies, and although the big ones were not much better, the mix for us did work out cheaper and better for us.  There are differences on that level between the companies in that they set up their pick and pay and packages differently for each company, and you may find one that is a much better mix.  It is a lot of work to do it, but with the prices constantly going up, if you have the time, it is worth it.

There are companies out there that will actually do this for you that I have heard of along with negotiating customer service issues.

But bottom line, is they do count on the fact that we don't have time, or patience many of us to go through this exercise, that we will complain first (I am guilty of that too), and for the few of us with the time, we do the digging, and realize that home services have become very expensive, and we still have a model where companies design packages where we end up paying for  a lot of things that we never even look at.

Like I said, 21 channels out the current VIP mix - 16 of them I can get over the air in the toronto area, the other are speciality tv service options only.  I think at the end of the day, since I have to find thngs in our household to cut back on to have money for essentials, we will just learn to live without the 5 channels we can't get and put up an antenna for 200.00 including istall and look at a TIVO PVR for over the air antenna with their free guide.

So, not a matter of laziness, just a matter of just how much time it takes.  Same as dealing with a customer service issue, we often just walk away from them because who has the time.  Except me -