Comparing Channel Lists and Packages

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Comparing Channel Lists and Packages

Someone like me, who watches sports, movies, news, international (Italian), would never be able to resort to Antenna, cus almost NONE of the stations I like to watch are broadcasted over Antenna so that means I NEED a cable subscription, or I can change my TV viewing habbits which will likely Never happen, I'm not poor I can afford a decent cable pacakge and will continue to do so unless I am broke, unemployed, financially strained or burdened or incarcerated.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Well, I do hope that you never become broke due to unexpected unemployment at an age where it is hard to find work, or become disabled and unable to work.

Yes, I agree, if you can afford to pay Cable costs for the entertainment you desire, go for it.  I used to be in that position, but I no longer am, so I have no choice but to make those changes - And in July, I have no medical insurance coverage that was covered prior to my wife being laid off.  So for me, the choice, although a difficult one to work through, and it is a very obvious one - health care or TV - well, I have no choice but to live without something.  Fortuntaely, I am not a sports watcher, so that takes that problem out of the mix. My staple sports are golf - available on line, snooker, again, online, darts, online, and competitive European based road cycle racing, cycle cross, and track, again, online.

My kids give me a gift about once every few years of a Raptors game and it is a great time to spend time with one of my daughters and they love hearing me talk about my own experience with both playing and coaching teenagers in basketball, and pointing out what each position is doing out there.  But I never watch a game of hockey, football (some Canadian football, but that is available on regular TV).

So bottom line is I do have to make choices, and it is unfortunate that the companies took turns pushing the CRTC rulings to the limits to see what they could get away with, but fortunately, in some areas the CRTC has made them shift, such as the fact that you can now include a starter package as part of a bundle and it has to be treated for discounting exactly the same as the others (increasing discount as you move up in consumption choices).

So for those who don't have to worry about package choices, do enjoy.  Rogers and others have designed their packages around the high end consumers and the higher priced consumption users who are willing to pay whatever they ask, and however they bundle it to get the selection of channels they want, but fortunately, I grew up without cable, I do know how to go back, and these are luxuries of life, not necessities, so I will soon be saying good bye - By the end of September, I will have made the changes, and I suspect it will be a mix of modalities and companies with the first priority what I can afford, and then how do I build the best combination within the price range.  It is like my second car that I just junked, didn't even try to sell it because it saved me $1000 in insurance, and close to that in annual maintenance.

And because I like to look for the positives in my forced change in life, a benefit of my wife being unemployed is that she is home to care for me and my illnesses, and I don't have to rely on taxis to get around.

The choices of life, but I think this whole discussion has been great for me and for others. It gives us a chance to rant a bit, to wish for different things, then come to the realization that for some of us, we just have to do less with less, but you know what, my wife and I walk more often, go for drives together, get out more often, and as we have already cut out everything we don't watch (I don't have a single speciality channel showing anymore), we talk more often, prepare meals together, and communicate with our daughters and family more often.

It has actually been a great often to find the things that really bring joy to us, not just a temporary fix of mindlessly watching TV that we have become kind of addicted to, but it is at least an addiction that allows us to withdraw from easily.  Now it is just the logistics to getting things in place 

Like buying some new equipment, getting installations done since you won't find me running cable or on a roof, even though I did it for a living once, porting phone numbers over and so forth, and locating the online alternatives to replace what we can, and live without what we can't.

So whatever each of us chooses, we do have a choice, we may not want to, but at the end of the day, if you are like me and want money for retirement, want health costs covered, eat, be clothed, have transportation, time with family and friends, dropping things like TV, going to movies, restaurants once a week, like we used to, all become unaffordable luxuries.

As a final note - my daughters and a few friends and family have all cut the cord over the last few years, and how do they do it, they just change their viewing preferences, and live without some things - their lives are active, they rent movies from Amazon, sometimes buy a BlueRay.  One relative recently did go back to Cable when he retired because he needed sports to fill his time and they have moved and he hasn't joined local teams and found teams to coach.  Once he does that, his need to watch sports disappears as he fills his week with participation instead.

Best of luck to all in finding what works for you.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

It may seem like whining but I am going to whine some more. The thing is they use to provide this information in in a clear and concise format. Maybe even a brochure at Rogers stores. 

If I could print off what they have on the website, it would be a big help but the symbols they use for the channels does not print out.  Who's bright idea was that?  That should have been fixed long ago if you really want keep business.  Frankly whoever redid the website a couple years ago either needs to be fired or they purposely made this website useless on purpose  which makes no sense to  me because if you could actually get good information from the site no one would have to call or live chat  or there would be definitely less volume because I never had an issue until the redo and Rogers would have saved tons of money on staff.  It;'s like they need to hide their own information, why so you can call and talk us into stuff we don't want. Well not working with me. Otherwise live operators can't help with this issue unless they can email me the breakdown of the packages?

You either want to retain business or you don't.  It's an easy fix IMO.

I Plan to Stick Around

PS Bell Vibe let's you print out the lists with the symbols, just saying.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi there, 

My grandma's condo is looking into arranging a bulk cable deal with Rogers which will get them the old Combo HD line up that was available a few years ago she currently has digital VIP. I'm trying to figure out if she will lose channels or not and if so which ones? Was hoping to see a comparison but difficult to source one.

Thanks very much in advance for any info

I'm a Senior Advisor

Having heard about others who are tied to condo deals, probably the best place is to check with your condo board and see what packaging they have negotiated or in the process of negotiating with Rogers.

Just a suggestion, haven't been tied to one of those deals in a very very long time, but if there is still time and the board hasn't signed off the new deal, condo members may get to have a say in the matter.  All depends upon how the by-laws are written in terms of making decisions of this nature for the whole condo corporation.  They very, but at a minimum, you should be able to get the information on what is or has been finalized in the negotiation.

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

i have the preimer tv package and tmn hbo tmn encore can some body tell if channel 47 584 341 is inculed i think it is i think i am paying for itwice with having classic tv package five dollars and does tcm come with the preimeri only like dajveiw since peach tree tv channel 47 and 341 and 584 is inculed with preimer tv package i dont need classic tv package dajveiw i can have it standalone because would like to get rid of classic tv package replace it with holly wood suite i think if you get the preimer tv package the only add ons should be say holly wood suite super channel like pay erveiw the preimer tv package should be all tv channels you have to pay has add ons like palay boy 4k sports super channel holly wood suite, pay er veiw like classic tv package should be all inculed in the preimer and i think its tween package  and kids package should also be inculed in the preimer tv package i think i am paying for one of these package i am paying has a add ons they should be inculed in the preimer tv packages i got 4k box on dec 16, 2017 i thought 4k was inculred programming you have to pay extra i dont care for the sports their should be a free preveiw channel 993 is a 4k movie channel i been with rogers since 2005 i have all three rogers services what have mention 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@timaitchison :  Please go to the following link, scroll down to your package and then click "view channels".  A list will come up with all the included channels, which includes Peachtree.  You can also search for channels.   If you want channels that are not included in premiere, then you'll need to pay for them and negotiate the (overall) price with Rogers.

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv#/packages

As I stated in the other (4K) thread, 4K is $10/month, however, the $10 fee is waived for the first year.  I don't understand why you keep saying that you're being charged for 4K.

It doesn't really matter what you think things should cost or what should or should not be included in certain packages.  You need to pick the package and channels you want and then negotiate the best price you can for your overall package, including your other services like phone, internet, etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

The notion that UHD 4K television costs $10/month is a fallacy.

If one pays the mentioned $10/month then all that you have is the right to view a few UHD 4K channels, but these channels are not accessible without the proper hardware.  If one pays $13/month for Nextbox 4K or $25 for Nextbox 4K PVR then all that you have is the hardware but not access to the channels.  A combination of hardware and channel access is required.  Therefore the cost of UHD 4K television on Rogers is either $23/month (for elementary hardware without recording functionality) or $35/month (for expected recording functionality).

To me this is rather disappointing, since the $10/month gets you nowhere without the hardware and the $13/month or $25/month gets you nowhere without the channel access.  It would not be so disappointing if there were real channels that offered rich UHD 4K content, but how can one justify seldom UHD 4K content on Sportsnet and TSN, sprinkled with some content from Stingray?  You can't.

Add to this: the $23/month or $35/month does not provide you with Rogers' UHD 4K movie channel.  In order to get this, you must add another $10/month.

While I think that UHD 4K is a wonderful advancement in television technology, it is just not there yet simply because there is not enough content.  For this reason, I continue to question its value and wonder what they're thinking to ask people to fork over $23/month to $45/month.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@536 :  You need to remember to only include the delta cost of the 4K hardware vs the HD hardware, which is either $0.95/mo or $6.95/mo, not the numbers you claim for hardware.

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/hardware

It's usually possible to negotiate these boxes for free since the 4K boxes are essentially equal to the "old" price of the HD boxes rental (for example, the HD PVR used to be as high as $25/mo).  In my previous post I was responding to @timaitchison who was talking about additional costs beyond the cost of the 4K box, which he already had.  The $10/mo 4K "fee" should be waived for the first year, per the 4K link I provided.

It's also possible to purchase the 4K boxes at a store like 2001 Audio Video, so any delta cost can be amortized over the time you have that box, which may not be recommended now with Rogers planning new IPTV for next year.

I'm just saying that the delta monthly cost is not necessarily as high as you state, but I agree that for existing customers, you really need to want 4K because there is an additional cost, but for some sports fans and some other early adopters, apparently it's worth it for the relatively small amount of 4K programming.  Of course there's the additional cost of a 4K TV over an HDTV too.