Commercials During On Demand Content

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Commercials During On Demand Content

I don't know who did the cut ins for American Horror Story Season 2, but it is unwatchable. Not only are there far too many commercial breaks, but they cut in during the middle of a scene for one commercial, go back and finish the scene (about 10 seconds of the tv show) and then go back to commercials again.

Who is responsible for that and can you fix it?

I really want to watch the show, but you lose the whole thread of it and the mood.

Thanks,

**Labels Added**

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Commercials During On Demand Content

I agree. Have been watching Vikings On-Demand.

Commercials just cut right into a scene at the most inopportune time. Then comes back to the show for 2 seconds only to cut to another History Channel commercial advertising their own shows. That is the only commercials they add, for their own shows. Which aren't the best to start with.

It's not the fact that there are commercials it's just there is no rime or reason as when they are done. Must be the system just doing it at will. I assume it is the network who is responsible for the commercials.

PITA !

I Plan to Stick Around

How about watching Saturday Night Live? I wanted to watch the cold open after seeing clips on the news. On demand the show started when the credits began to roll. Had to look it up on Youtube. 

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Do you have to pay more for On Demand  .... why are there ads period ? 

I'm a Senior Advisor

I believe Rogers On Demand (Channel 100) is available on all packages. It's even a button on the old Rogers Atlas remote. There are also various other on demand channels of different flavours all over the Guide.  Some choices, like new movies, cost money on your Rogers account and others are free.  Personally I wouldn't pay $6.99 to watch a movie, although other family members have. Just now I'm trying to  access ROD and it's not working, but it was earlier.  They're drilling to install fibre on my street and may have cut the cable in spite of the zillions of flags that have been there for a week.  But from what I remember, the "commercials" are Rogers self-promotional spots, not paid ads.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

I would not even attempt to watch it on a 8300 PVR. It is brutally slow and the menus are prehistoric. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unless the original channel is owned by Rogers, then I don't believe this has anything to do with Rogers as a service provider.  Rogers manage the servers and the interface, however, the programming comes from the original broadcaster.

Now, what you see depends on the type of on-demand and whether it's "premium" or not.  For example, on Crave/TMN there are no commercials since you're paying a premium for the service.  However, if its not a premium service, many times there are commercials and in some instances you cannot even FF or skip.  This is a function of the broadcaster and not the service provider.

You may do just as well or better by going to the broadcaster website and viewing the programming there, however, again you may/will run into restrictions like no FF, sometimes geoblocking, etc.

Depending on how you view the programming, the rights provided by the "broadcaster" (rights holder) can vary. Again, for example, when watching OD of a premium service like Crave, you may get 1080i/p signals and DD5.1, whereas if you stream the same programme you may only have access to 720P and Stereo sound.  It's all a function of the rights granted by the rights holder and the method used to view the programme.  These rights are always negotiated separately for:

- Original broadcast

- OD

- Streaming

- HD or SD "channel"

- Etc.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@vanroessel wrote:

I would not even attempt to watch it on a 8300 PVR. It is brutally slow and the menus are prehistoric. 

In my opinion, the 8300 is perfectly fine for ROD. It's low overhead. But as for commercials, I just tried to watch something and got 3 commercials before the show even started. That's a lot worse than I remember the last time I watched anything on ROD. If  for some reason I miss a show I'm following (didn't record) I would check other sources for the episode. There are several I can watch on my smart TV. Given the commercial interruptions and the inability to FF, ROD is not my first choice.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Talking about networks on demand. I was watching history on demand and they inject their own commercials for their own shows. Always at inopportune times.  Not selling goods or services. Aka coke or autos.