Closed captioning appearing on Rogers related commercials

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Closed captioning appearing on Rogers related commercials

Why are closed captions appearing on- screen during commercials, not regular programming?

When watching CNN, all CBC TV spots promoting "Still Standing" and the "Drake" detective series show closed captioning. Recently, it has started during spots promoting HBO and Rogers content. I have not enabled closed captioning, furthermore captioning does not appear in any other commercials. 

The common thread, it seems, is Rogers. Is this a setting that is controlled by the 4K set-top box, or is it an arbitrary decision made by Rogers to affect all Canadian commercials?

**Labels Added**

Re: Closed captioning appearing on Rogers related commercials

Hello @edhovanec!

Thank you for being a part of our Rogers Community Forums and congratulations on your very first post! 

That does seem a bit odd that the closed captioning would only be appearing on certain networks and during  specific commercials, and only while certain programs are airing. I can't say I've ever heard of such an occurrence or experienced it myself! If you can please provide us with a few more details, perhaps the Community can chime in if they've had any similar experiences:

- What city/province are you located in?

- When did this issue first begin happening?

- Do you have any other cable TV boxes and are they having the same issue when on the same channels, and in the same places during the feed?

We look forward to your response! 😊

RogersLaura

I Plan to Stick Around

1. London, Ontario

2. About three to four weeks ago.

3. One 4K PVR box, one Nextbox 3.0. Both boxes show the exact same behaviour.

Under the direction of another Rogers Tech support advisor, I enabled and disabled closed captioning, and functionality was as before, with no change in the problematic condition.

I have video of the issue appearing on at least 6 different commercials, all Canadian promotions, all seemingly Rogers' transmissions.

I'm Here A Lot

I'm seeing the same thing. Watching Home Life Network (HLN), a CBC Promo commercial for CBC shows are captioned but show isn't and I have caption turned off in the settings.
I'm a Regular

Same here. Vaughan, Ontario. Rogers-related commercials are close-captioned automatically without me turning CC on.
I'm a Senior Advisor

This has happened before.

While I can't find anything promoting it, I think it's some sort of awareness campaign for the month of September. CBC is involved, as is Rogers and their ads.
I Plan to Stick Around

Then as an awareness campaign, this effort is an abject failure. None of the Rogers representatives I've contacted are aware of the existence of this issue, and consequently can't offer a solution. Far from creating a positive attitude toward their initiative, the executors of this effort have created frustration and confusion.

I've Been Here Awhile

Why is closed captioning appearing on 33 cnn advertising portion. I have called Rogers 3 times and either they dint know anything about it or they say it has been fixed.
I'm Here A Lot

We have recently been experiencing the same issue with any advertisements for CBC programming. We are in Midland, ON
I Plan to Stick Around

So Rogers thinks this is all better. To wit:

Hello,

We wanted to let you know we've fixed the problem with your Rogers Cable Television Service that you told us about on09/24/2018.

If you keep having this problem, please get in touch with us at www.support.rogers.com and mention case number C136774198.

Thank you for choosing Rogers.

And just try to respond using the supplied address. This is what comes up: "www.support.rogers.com does not appear to be a valid email address. Verify the address and try again."

Even substututing an @ for the period between "support" and "rogers" doesn't work.