Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

They were actually posting a correct answer for accessing CC currently at the time for on RECORDINGS. At least at this time.
Currently there is not a proper way by via in the recording, until rogers fixes/changes it.

You have to turn it on via LIVE tv, to use it on recordings (and even then its garbled half the time right now)

Thank you for updating with the answer on that rogers has said that its not available at this time.

(until they add/fix it)

Remember, this is a user to user form.  People are able to post what they want, as long as its within the forum guidelines (not inapropriate, etc).  While they may not have been specifically the answer you were looking for.. these people were taking the time out of their day to post something, they were trying to HELP you.
(some people like myself, often have the most time to try and aid others at WORK.  Unfortunately while i am there, i can not always validate things as i do not have my box there.   If everyone was to validate 100% beforehand, may people may not be able to answer.. and a user could go all day without any feedback.)

I Plan to Stick Around

My post was specifically about CC in the context of shomi and ROD.  Peace, man.

I Plan to Stick Around

This is really ridiculous! If I'm watching a recording and find I need closed captions on, I have to stop the playback, exit back to broadcast, press Info, press Down twice to get to More, press Ok, press Down several times to get to CC, press Ok , press Exit, press List, find the recording I was watching, select Resume.

There's a larger percentage of us seniors in the population now, so there's more viewers with hearing problems. What we really need is a button on the remote to turn CC on/off with one press. What are the chances of Rogers doing this? About zero, or course.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I do like the idea of a specific button.  Problem being most buttons are already pre assigned to something or already labeled 😞

At minimum.. they really need to add better access to it... PERIOD.
A) Needs to be moved to a slightly quicker location after pressing info.. on the FIRST info screen (and not behind the MORE and at the bottom)

B) Recordings no longer have access to the INFO screens as compared to the previous RTN guide.  (sort of kicks you back to one of the recording screens).  I think that is where they key problem lays.
Implementing it on the first info screen as above.. then making recordings have access to the SAME info screens (like they did in RTN), would work.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

I do like the idea of a specific button.  Problem being most buttons are already pre assigned to something or already labeled 😞

Wondering if # maybe??

At minimum.. they really need to add better access to it... PERIOD.
A) Needs to be moved to a slightly quicker location after pressing info.. on the FIRST info screen (and not behind the MORE and at the bottom)

B) Recordings no longer have access to the INFO screens as compared to the previous RTN guide.  (sort of kicks you back to one of the recording screens).  I think that is where they key problem lays.
Implementing it on the first info screen as above.. then making recordings have access to the SAME info screens (like they did in RTN), would work.

What does the # (aspect ratio) button do on the Nextboxes now?  On my SA8300HD it cycles the aspect ratio between Normal/Stretch/Zoom1/Zoom2. I use Zoom1 to fill the screen for channels I only get in SD, like Austin City Limits on PBS and the old Top Gear on BBC Canada and a few others. Do you need to do that on the Nextbox?

Another idea would be to get a Harmony remote and progran thse multitudes of keystrokes as macros. Maybe should supply such a remote.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

What does the # (aspect ratio) button do on the Nextboxes now?  On my SA8300HD it cycles the aspect ratio between Normal/Stretch/Zoom1/Zoom2. I use Zoom1 to fill the screen for channels I only get in SD, like Austin City Limits on PBS and the old Top Gear on BBC Canada and a few others. Do you need to do that on the Nextbox?

Another idea would be to get a Harmony remote and progran thse multitudes of keystrokes as macros. Maybe should supply such a remote.

I wasnt abble to wrestle the remote from my wife at the time of posting to confirm.  I forgot that the aspect button was on # (for some reason i thought it was another button).  (and yes the aspect might need to be used on an SD channel, etc for some people if they wished)
I have edited my above reply accordingly.

I was just trying to find an UNASSIGNED button to put a CC shortcut on.
A brings up the search now (as well as *) .. while in a menu or on live TV.. 
D brings up the weather app.
B and C, at least on those screens do not appear to do anything... could set it for C (for closed caption) on those screens enabled it ??

A macro would work on a harmony.. but the user would still see it go through all screens, etc to get there.. really would interupt the viewing still, just lessening the number of key presses.

I'm an Advisor

Q: what's a harmony ?

He c key sounds good. Rogers which key do you prefer?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The more people we can get on here supporting it and bringing it to Rogers attention, the more chance of it happening 🙂

A harmony remote are programmable remotes you can set to do some advanced functions.
Eg, set a watch tv button. And it would run a set of commands to turn on the tv, turn on the Rogers box, turn on your surround sound, changes its input, switch it's setting to a specific surround sound mode, etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

I never use the On Demand, HD, or Music keys. The Music key I would be least likely to ever use. so if it could be programmed to toggle Closed Caption on and off it would be very convenient.

I'm an Advisor

Thx.

Does Rogers provide a harmony remote @ their store ?

If not where can we get one ?