Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

@park wrote:

I use 2 NB3s with version 6.0.0.0132 of the Cisco software and Espial browser  6.0.8-1.1.90

Have not noticed any garbled CCs recently.. Used to be very common on CTV.

Mississauga

I am using an NB3 with same same version 6.0.0.0132 Cisco software and the same Espial browser 6.0.8-1.1.90

I am located in London.

Recorded programs for CTV and Global will not show the CC. 

Also AMC, but I have only tried to watch one recorded program from this channel.

If anyone can actually see CC on a recorded CTV or Global program please post here with your box and software versions and general location.  Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I still had last night's recording of the Acadamy Awards and the CC on it didn't work properly - I got a few occasional letters in the CC boxes, but nothing comprehensible. Of course this was a live programme at the time of recording, but still the CC should have shown, only delayed. 

I then tuned to CTV, Global and a few other channels and the CC was fine "live", not recorded.

I don't have issues with CC on the channels where I do watch (recorded) programming and care about CC - PBS, CP24, MuchMoreRetro, CBC, etc

I also have a couple of SA8300HDs and the CC works fine there on CTV & Global & other channels, so it looks like it might be a Navigatr issue on recorded CTV/Global programming?.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Cush wrote:

If anyone can actually see CC on a recorded CTV or Global program please post here with your box and software versions and general location.  Thanks.

I can see it on both recorded CTV and Global programs.   I have an 8642 HD-PVR  with the most reccent software ( 6.0.0.0132 Cisco software   location is Ottawa.

I Plan to Stick Around

@jays77 wrote:

@Cush wrote:

I can see it on both recorded CTV and Global programs.   I have an 8642 HD-PVR  with the most reccent software ( 6.0.0.0132 Cisco software   location is Ottawa.

Thanks jays77. 

I moved into an area with Rogers a few years ago, can anyone tell me are SA8300HD and 8642 HD-PVR earlier options before the Nextbox 3?  Or later options, available now?  Or regional options?

Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The SA8300HD is over 10 years old and runs SARA firmware.  The 8642 is the NB2, which precedes the 9865 NB3

I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

The SA8300HD is over 10 years old and runs SARA firmware.  The 8642 is the NB2, which precedes the 9865 NB3

Thanks guys! 

I hope some more people will post after trying the CC on recorded CTV & Global programs and provide information on the type of box they have, the software version, and the general area they live in.

Small sample so far, but the 9865 NB3 does not seem to be fully compatible with the Navigatr software Rogers pushed out to us.

I'm an Advisor

@57 wrote:

I still had last night's recording of the Acadamy Awards and the CC on it didn't work properly - I got a few occasional letters in the CC boxes, but nothing comprehensible. Of course this was a live programme at the time of recording, but still the CC should have shown, only delayed. 

I then tuned to CTV, Global and a few other channels and the CC was fine "live", not recorded.

I don't have issues with CC on the channels where I do watch (recorded) programming and care about CC - PBS, CP24, MuchMoreRetro, CBC, etc

I also have a couple of SA8300HDs and the CC works fine there on CTV & Global & other channels, so it looks like it might be a Navigatr issue on recorded CTV/Global programming?.

Hi @57

Guess I spoke too soon about the garbled CC problem having gone away.

I  can confirm (Mississauga) that our recording of the Oscars has the same garbled CC.

BTW: Have saved it for Rogers if they are vaguely interested.

Anybody else have the Oscars (or the preshow or Jimmy K afterwards) recorded ?

Please turn CC  on and let us know what you get when you watch !

I'm an Advisor

@Cush wrote:

@57 wrote:

Thanks guys! 

I hope some more people will post after trying the CC on recorded CTV & Global programs and provide information on the type of box they have, the software version, and the general area they live in.

Small sample so far, but the 9865 NB3 does not seem to be fully compatible with the Navigatr software Rogers pushed out to us.

Not a box problem. Things worked fine with the preNavi RTN software. Its a software problem.

e.g. Did you have a garbled CC before Navi was downloaded to your machine ?

Immediate solution is for ROGERS roll back to RTN for those who request it, esp. those with hearing issues !

I Plan to Stick Around

I have a NextBox 9865, Vantage 6.0.0.0132, Espial Browser 6.0.8-1.1.0.

I am in Keswick,ON.

I just tried leaving CC on.

All Newscasts were ok, CTV, CBC, and a series or two was ok.

But my recorded shows not so good.

A movie recorded on TCM had garbage for CC.

A series recorded on TVOHD had a lot of missing words.

I Plan to Stick Around

@park wrote:

Not a box problem. Things worked fine with the preNavi RTN software. Its a software problem.

e.g. Did you have a garbled CC before Navi was downloaded to your machine ?

Immediate solution is for ROGERS roll back to RTN for those who request it, esp. those with hearing issues !

park, I totally agree it is a software problem created by Rogers upload of Navigatr.

I do feel like we are getting somewhere though if the problem is only associated with the 9865 NB3.  That may explain why some people are not experiencing the problem.

For me, I am sitting here with a 9865 NB3 that Rogers enticed me into buying through them, and that NB3 is now not compatible with Navigatr software that Rogers pushed into it.  And they are taking their sweet time coming up with a solution, or offering compensation for this reduction in service. 

Somehow they've found time to do their billing though.