Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

@barbara_morris:

Thank you for confirming the "resolution".  Whenever something like this happens repeatedly, I often recommend handing the remote to someone else in the room and reading the instructions to them. That way "muscle memory" will not play into finding a resolution.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@barbara_morris wrote:

What an idiot I am! 

Not an idiot, just human.

As 57 alluded to, there's a reason why companies like Rogers have 'scripts' for their customer service agents to follow, no matter how basic the questions may seem.

Sometimes, even the most technically savvy get so involved in an problem, that it really does help to have someone else remind us that confirming even the most basic of steps is the very first thing you should do when trobleshooting a technical issue.

Glad to have been of assistance.

I Plan to Stick Around

Having read all the ways people use to turn on/off captioning, I figured I should get my two cents worth in. My girl friend records a lot of shows and she simply goes to settings(Rogers remote) then captioning and turns it off. She always remembers to turn it back on and that is important. Failing to turn captioning back on is an insult ad shows lack of concern for the impaired hearing person's feeling.

There may be another way to. Most new tvs have remotes that have the capablity to turn on/off captioning. I have a Sharp tv and my girl friend uses it to turn on/off captioning.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Fridrik wrote: Most new tvs have remotes that have the capablity to turn on/off captioning. I have a Sharp tv and my girl friend uses it to turn on/off captioning.

Really?  Although TVs can CC the OTA channels that are tuned directly by the TV's tuner, or perhaps an App on the TV, I do not believe that the TV can perform CC on say an HDMI input signal. That CC needs to be performed by the Rogers Set Top Box.

In addition, with Navigatr firmware there is no option under "Settings" to turn CC on or off. The settings only allow you to change the type of CC, which can sometimes turn it off if you choose a type of CC that is not being sent.

There is a setting using the old SARA firmware, however, this thread is about Navigatr, not SARA

I've Been Around

On the Rogers remote press INFO. You will see small "i" with MORE next to it. Press OK button on remote. A drop down menu appears to the right. Scroll down with arrows to "cc" Closed Captions. Press OK to toggle between 'enabled' and 'disabled' then EXIT out. 

I've Been Here Awhile

I am hard of hearing and now that I have had time to see the limitations of Rogers CC, I am not so happy. I noticed the same things as you. But! My TV has CC also, and when I use THAT one, half the words are wrong! Samsung TV....CC absolute garbage . Rogers has limitations but their interpretation of words is a bit better.

I've Been Here Awhile

To turn on CC on PVR recordings, someone suggested this. I copied it for you:
1. Jump to a live program, e.g. hit [last].

2. Click the [info] button.

3. Click down a couple times till you are on the  (i) [more].

4. Select it.

5. Click down 8 times

6. click on  [turn cc on]

7. click [exit] button

8 Click [list], hopefully iy will take you back to your recording.

9. Select it

10 Hit [resume]

Just wanted to send this your way.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rebeccadukes : On PVR recordings (Navigatr firmware) it's actually much easier.  Hit "Info - Select enable/disable CC - then exit" - 3 button presses in total.  No need to go to a live programme (any more).

I Plan to Stick Around

I agree totally. I need the CC as well and Info is so much easier than it used to be to turn on and off.
Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.