Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

I have a nextbox 3 and navigatr. When I press Info, I don't see anything about CC; I have tried using the right and left buttons and the up and down buttons, When I go into Settings, the Closed Captioning section doesn't have anything for turning it on or off. Closed captioning suddenly came on this evening; I must have pressed something on the remote by accident, but I can't guess what. I'm watching live tv, not a recording, although I first noticed it while I was watching a recording.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Turns out I had missed one category in the Closed Captioning section of Settings. Under Style, it was set to "Set by Program". When I changed it to "Set by Viewer", the CC went away.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@barbara_morris:

When watching a recording, simply press info - select enable (or disable) CC - exit to enable or disable CC. 3 simple button presses

When watching live, press Info, scroll to and select More, scroll to the CC option to enable or disable.  This requires 7+ button presses depending which direction you scroll (up or down) since you can "wraparound"

What you have done in the settings may not allow you to turn CC on if you ever need it, so you should leave the settings in the default if you don't know what you're doing in there.

See the following link for additional useful Navigatr info:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/202473-cisco-9865-nb3-0-also-nb...

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@57, the advice to simply press Info, scroll to select More, and then scroll to CC doesn't work for me. There is nothing about enabling or disabling CC anywhere in Info. (I had already seen that advice in these forums at least 10 times, and had tried it at least 3 times.)

When I press the Info button, there is no "More" button, whether I press up, down, right, or left. On the top row I see "Guide", "My Recordings", "Rogers On Demand", "Apps", and on the bottom row I see "Search", "Settings". When I scroll right to "Apps", another row pops up above with "Get More TV", "Weather", "TV Mixes", "TV Call Display", none of which have anything about CC.

Well, I didn't wait long enough for "Get More TV" to load. I stopped it after 2 minutes. But surely that's where I would order more channels. There's no way the CC-on-off button is hidden behind "Get More TV", right? Even the folks that developed the current navigation wouldn't be _that_ capricious, right?

If I ever do want to get CC for some reason, I'll change the Style setting back to "Set by Program", whatever that means.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@barbara_morris:

Sorry to hear you're having these issues with CC.  I have the following two suggestions.

Firstly, try playing a recording and while watching the recording use the 3 step process I outlined in my previous post.  Info - Enable/disable CC - Exit.

Secondly, when watching live TV, press Guide - Info - then scroll to Enable/disable CC.

Good Luck.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

If it says Enabled or Disabled simply pressing the Select button on the remote will give you the alternate. Then use Back or Quit to get rid of that menu.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I have already tried doing those steps both while watching a recording and while watching live TV. I thought I had disabled CC by setting the Style to "by viewer" but I just noticed that it's still on, but much less noticeable due my setting of transparent background and semitransparent text.

In my earlier post, I listed what I see when I press Info. What is the normal list of things that show up when Info is pressed? Maybe I'm not seeing any of the normal Info things.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

If only I could get to the Enable/Disable CC thing in the first place, I'm sure it would be easy to toggle it.
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@barbara_morris wrote:
I have already tried doing those steps both while watching a recording and while watching live TV. I thought I had disabled CC by setting the Style to "by viewer" but I just noticed that it's still on, but much less noticeable due my setting of transparent background and semitransparent text.

In my earlier post, I listed what I see when I press Info. What is the normal list of things that show up when Info is pressed? Maybe I'm not seeing any of the normal Info things.

The behavior that you are saying is happening is what should happen when you press the "Menu" button (i.e.: My recordings, Apps, Settings, etc).

When you press the "Info" button, you should get two gray boxes on the bottom of the screen..one with the program title and description, and one with three options - "Record", "Record Series" and "More"  The "More" option then brings up the sidebar menu where you can control CC.

Please make sure you're hitting the proper button.  Can you tell us which remote type you have?  Are the keys lighted? 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

What an idiot I am! You're right, I was pressing the Menu button. Thanks!