Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fridrik
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

Being deaf I always have captioning on and,until very recently, I had no problem seeing captioning on recorded shows. I have read other posts on the subject but they seem to have to do with turning on captioning for a recorded show. As I said, captioning is always on on my tv but, lately,  I've been getting garbled text on recorded shows and it seems to happen to pretty much ever recorded show. Any suggestions(aside from a sledge hammer that is!)

Fridrik
I Plan to Stick Around

Forget what I posted above. I did a thorough research(all 22 pages worth!) and have an answer. NOT that I'm happy about it given the news that the "fix" won't happen til April or the summer. NOT a happy state of affairs.

Fridrik
I Plan to Stick Around

For those of you who have normal hearing, there is one  tv that allows instant on and off captioning. Sharp ROKU tv remote allows you to instantly turn captioning on and off using the tv remote. Downside of it is that the tv remote has to be used in order to get access to cable as it is also used to get access to Netflix or dvd. Once connected to cable the rogers remote takes over but you can still use the tv remote to control captioning.

P.S I am not a tv salesman!

jetflier
I Plan to Stick Around

I have to correct myself. The problem with CC exists also when watching live TV. Yesterday, I was watching S.W.A.T on PEACH (47) here in Ajax, ON and instead of having CC flash on the screen (like while watching recorded CTV shows), the subtitle lines appeared normally but with random letters and numbers. I took a photo of the screen but I do not know how to include it with this post.

I hope that the both types of CC errors are related to the XDS tag.

laura52
I Plan to Stick Around

Fridrik, we have done everything we can because so many of us are in the same boat and need to leave the CC on all the time, like myself.  Hopefully Rogers will come up with a fix sooner than April, but in the meantime I would contact them and let them know.  I contacted them through phone, which didn't help, but getting in touch with the CRTC certainly did help as well as others on these pages to get them to finally do something, since they have known about this since last July.

laura52
I Plan to Stick Around

So far we have been lucky and been able to get the Live TV CC, just not on alot onthe programmed recordings.  If this is happening you should call Rogers and ask them to have a technican come out or at least inform them by telephone that you are not getting your CC on.

If you have your picture downloaded to your computer, or it is on a smartphone, you need to click the camera above where you posted to add the picture.

jetflier
I Plan to Stick Around

CC during live TV (PEACH Ch 47)

Thanks,

The first time I tried to click the camera icon in my earlier post it did not work.

This is an image capture showing CC from last night while watching S.W.A.T on PEACH Ch 47 in Ajax, ON

laura52
I Plan to Stick Around

That is a crying shame it is affecting your Live TV broadcast as well.  Hopefully it is only on the one channel, but it is still one channel too many.  Did you check it today to see if it was the program or the actual broadcasting coming from Peach/47 Ajax?   I am glad you were able to post this picture. 

jetflier
I Plan to Stick Around

The CC during the live broadcast on PEACH seems to be working normally right now.

The problem has been linked to parental controls. Yesterday's movie had plenty of violence which makes me think that they are connected. Some sort of tag must have been inserted within the movie to indentify its violent content which in turn messes up the CC.

Anyway, that's my two cents ...

laura52
I Plan to Stick Around

That sounds like a reasonable explanation when associating it with Parental Controls since as you read, it would be affected on recorded programs.

This is part of what I received on Friday from Rogers.  "The Rogers team confirmed that this issue only affects the closed captions of recorded programs (on a limited number of channels and only on the NextBox 3.0 PVR) and not the captions provided on live television or through the Rogers on Demand service. " That makes me wonder why it happened to you on live TV, unless of course you do have the Parental Controls set already on your NextBox.