Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

Cush, I received a phone call instead of a written letter, asking the same thing about more information.  Like you, I told "Jeff" who called everything that was going on and after he called back the second time, I suggested he go to the Community Forums and look unded Closed caption with new Nextbox Navigator™ release to get an idea of what everyone was saying.  He did tell me that it was a software glitch and because they can't just go in an fix it, the next time there was an update, they hoped to have it fixed, but it may take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months or more.  So, for now I will keep recording on stations I know I can get the closed captions on, like the American stations, even though it says CTV or CTV2 and Global when it is watched either live or recorded, as all cable companies do to override the American commercials, weather, etc.  Plus I am recording onTime Shifting, which for me brings up the closed caption, but I lose the HD and only have a partial screen for viewing.  Let's all hope now that they are paying attention, this really does get some attention.

I Plan to Stick Around

@laura52 wrote:

Cush, I received a phone call instead of a written letter, asking the same thing about more information.  Like you, I told "Jeff" who called everything that was going on and after he called back the second time, I suggested he go to the Community Forums and look unded Closed caption with new Nextbox Navigator™ release to get an idea of what everyone was saying.  He did tell me that it was a software glitch and because they can't just go in an fix it, the next time there was an update, they hoped to have it fixed, but it may take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months or more. 

Hi Laura, we have probably heard from the same person.  My letter was from a "Jeffrey".  I hope this is not just another layer of customer buffer.  If someone at a high enough level wanted this fixed NOW, it would be.  I have my doubts though that anyone at a high enough level really cares about a few lost customers over this.

This has been a known issue since last July.  If this was a "software glitch" giving customers an unintended monthly discount, how many months do you think it would take for them to fix it?

I Plan to Stick Around

Cush I agree with you, especially since this has been a known issue since the first release in July, when customers also lost all their recorded information already on their PVR.  It seems they got the issue fixed of not losing previously recorded programs, but I did mention even shows previously recorded before the update lost all the closed caption, that was once there, so this is more than a glitch.  It is a pure malfunction that needs to be addressed.   Unlike you I only got the two phone calls, so there is nothing to reply to Rogers with except the phone number he called from, which I will call if I have to.  Even offering a discount would have been the sensible thing to do, considering the outrageous prices they want to charge.  Especially because so many of the people who require CC are seniors on a fixed income.  I am trying to stay positive about this, since we both heard from them.  I am just concerned it took that long for them to address that the CRTC had even been in touch with them and for myself, it was the 20th day after it was sent to Rogers from the CRTC.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@1224 wrote:

Thought I'd add to this instruction, because I just wasted over a half hour trying to turn off Closed Captioning after it got accidently turned on.

To start, the TV menu CC won't turn it on or off, don't go to that "obvious" place.

The PVR Settings CC menu won't turn it on or off, don't go to that "obvious" place.

To turn ON Closed Captioning follow these steps (Courtesy of super contributor "park") 

1. Jump to a live program, e.g. hit [last].

2. Click the [info] button. You will see 3 options, the last one is "More".

3. Click down a couple times till you are on the  (i) [more].

4. Select it.

On the next page that comes up, you will see 5 more options. What you WON'T see is that there are 2 or 3 more hidden options available if you scroll down. There is NO indication that these hidden options are there; no "More" option; no Down arrow. 

5. Click down 8 times

6. click on  [turn cc on]

7. click [exit] button

There is a shorter way as posted by @jjmartin

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Finally - a way to turn CC on/off that works the same for recordings or live. Seven button presses:

Guide

Info

Up Arrow

Up Arrow

OK

Exit

Exit

I Plan to Stick Around

@laura52 wrote:

Cush, I received a phone call instead of a written letter, asking the same thing about more information.  Like you, I told "Jeff" who called everything that was going on and after he called back the second time, I suggested he go to the Community Forums and look unded Closed caption with new Nextbox Navigator™ release to get an idea of what everyone was saying.  He did tell me that it was a software glitch and because they can't just go in an fix it, the next time there was an update, they hoped to have it fixed, but it may take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months or more. 

Hi Laura,

In another letter today, Jeffrey says the following:

"We have determined that this only affects the closed captioning of programs, from a subset of channels, that have been recorded to a personal video recorder (PVR) using the NextBox 3.0 PVR set-top box (STB). The issue relates to a piece of data, known as the XDS tag, which the broadcaster includes as part of the program signal. The data is read by v-chip technology contained within TV sets and is used to support the TV set’s parental control features (e.g. to block access to certain programs based on ratings such as PG and 14+). These parental control features are separate from those offered by Rogers through our STB. The presence of the XDS tag is impacting the display of closed captioning when it is played back on the PVR.

Rogers is in the process of confirming which channels are being affected by this. We are also working with our STB technology vendor (Cisco) to develop a temporary solution to this problem. We anticipate that it can be implemented by the end of April.

A permanent solution is also being developed and we expect to implement it by mid-summer. Under both, the captioning issue related to recorded programs should be fully resolved, although affected programs that you have already recorded cannot be fixed unfortunately."

Disappointing about the recordings already in the box.  We were busy in the Fall and had several series recorded that we planned to watch about the time Navigatr was pushed out and took away our CC for those recorded programs. 

I am hoping they get this fixed by the end of April, or sooner!

I Plan to Stick Around

Cush thanks for posting that.  This is more than what I heard, so I am also disappointed nothing can be done with the already recorded problems.  Now to wait, and wait.  This sounds like grounds for an honest discount on the bill for sure.

Let's hope that temporary chip works.  He gave me the same timeline, but didn't have the explanation to give me and was looking into it.  It sounds like he did his work.  Finally it is recorded that Rogers acknowledges there is a flaw and they are working on it.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

It looks as if I got the same email as you did from Jeffery Cush and I was given a credit. 

I'm an Advisor

@Cush and @laura52  congrats for your efforts.

Guess it  takes complaining to the CRTC to get Rogers attention.

Rogers must respond to you and the CRTC with 20 days.

It was very helpful to get a solid explanation that makes sense.

Being a bit of a techy by nature, it had to be a misinterpretation of some digital info being transmitted.

Why it only happens on some programs and channels would be interesting to understand.

Some of us have advised Rogers of this problem since the JULY28 disaster launch of Navigatr#1

I Plan to Stick Around

Park what they told me in the email was was "the issue relates to a piece of data, known as the XDS tag, which the broadcaster includes as part of the program signal.  The data is read by v-chip technology contained within TV sets and is used to support the TV set's parental control features.  The parental control features are separate from those offered by Rogers through their STB.  The presence of the XDS tag is impacting the display of closed captioning when it is playbed back on the PVR."   Being somewhat of a techie, you may understand this more than me reading this as the problem has been confirmed and they are working on fixing it. 

The fact they are working on it at least makes me feel somewhat better, but I am still at a loss as to why this has been going on since July when they were first made aware of this program and then still released the update to everyone else before it was fixed. 

I Plan to Stick Around

If you look at what @Cush posted, I got basically the same email, but a bit more personalized towards myself.