Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

I tried showing the techician Rogers sent the same thing.  He went to his vehicle, called his supervisor and came back in saying his supervisor told him someone had to actually be there typing the closed caption.  Imagine how stupid he felt when I showed him live TV had closed caption as I had the TV on, hit the record button and the garbled closed caption was there on the recorded program.

I have the same PVR that Rogers suggested my husband and I rent to own.  9865 NextBox 3 as well and I live in North Pickering with the updated Navigatr™ that was released the end of January for this area.

I Plan to Stick Around

When I record TV shows using nextbox 3, some channels (such as CTV) have broken closed captioning.

During playback, there are some random letters that flash on the screen for a fraction of a second and are not legible.

When watching CTV, only legible text that flashes on the screen is CTV.

Other channels (such as Global) have perfect closed captioning. This has been going on as long as I have had the Nextbox.

Has anybody else experienced the same problem?

Hi jetflier,

Is this only impacting CCs on recordings or is it also displaying broken captions if you're watching CTV live?

RogersCorey

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jetflier wrote:

When I record TV shows using nextbox 3, some channels (such as CTV) have broken closed captioning.

I can confirm this is a known issue with the NB3 (9865) and CTV recordings. I have the same problem, as have many others.  Some other channels are also sometimes affected. Seems to be a Navigatr-CTV recorded-9865 issue, although it may possibly also impact the NB2 (8642).

I Plan to Stick Around

You are not alone.  There are several of us who have complained about the same thing.  It is fine on live TV but doesn't show up on the recorded programs.  I do get it from Global, but it is in Spanish.  But CTV/CTV2 is the same annoying flashing CTV.  The CRTC has been notified by many of us as well, but it seems it is still not being addressed, unfortunately, leaving many of us no happy campers.

I Plan to Stick Around

In my post I was not clear that the broken/missing closed captioning takes placed only when watching recorded TV shows.

During the live programming, the closed captioning on CTV and other stations are fine.

I am relieved that the problem is not related to my equipment. I wonder if it has to do with ownership of the TV stations (Rogers vs Bell)?

I Plan to Stick Around

I have also wondered if this is all because of the two largest communications owners as well with Bell owning CTV.  Like everyone else, I don't have a problem with Live TV and the closed caption.  Just on recorded programs. 

I would be nice to get this rectified and the sooner the better for all of us who have been long time customers of Rogers since before it was Rogers and it was Shaw.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Cush wrote:

This is a portion of the message I received back from the CRTC.

Thank you for contacting us to express your concerns about closed captioning with Rogers.

In light of your concerns, I am sending a copy of your message to Rogers Communications Canada Inc., and asking the licensee to respond directly to you within 20 calendar days and to provide a copy of their reply to us for review. Should the review by CRTC staff conclude that further regulatory action is required, we will notify you.

I will keep you updated here on this thread.  The more people who take the time to register a complaint with the CRTC, the more likely we are to have a resolution to this CC issue.

After fifteen days. 

This afternoon, I had a well-written letter from a gentleman whose title is Advisor Office of the President.  He asked for more information about the problem.  If this really requires more information from customers, despite the information here on the Rogers Community forums, then for a Communication company Rogers has very poor internal communication.

I wrote back with the requested info, and asked that if further info was needed please don't wait another fifteen days to request it. 

Will post here if anything happens.

I've Been Around

Thought I'd add to this instruction, because I just wasted over a half hour trying to turn off Closed Captioning after it got accidently turned on.

To start, the TV menu CC won't turn it on or off, don't go to that "obvious" place.

The PVR Settings CC menu won't turn it on or off, don't go to that "obvious" place.

To turn ON Closed Captioning follow these steps (Courtesy of super contributor "park") 

1. Jump to a live program, e.g. hit [last].

2. Click the [info] button. You will see 3 options, the last one is "More".

3. Click down a couple times till you are on the  (i) [more].

4. Select it.

On the next page that comes up, you will see 5 more options. What you WON'T see is that there are 2 or 3 more hidden options available if you scroll down. There is NO indication that these hidden options are there; no "More" option; no Down arrow. 

5. Click down 8 times

6. click on  [turn cc on]

7. click [exit] button

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@1224: Have a look at the following link.  If you use the up instead of the down button, you'll save quite a few clicks when turning CC on (or off).  But, if you use the workaround in the link, then you'll only need to turn CC on once and after that you can use the settings workaround, even from recordings.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

PS - even on RTN (the previous firmware),  CC was turned on via "info" not via settings.

PPS. Considering it takes numerous button presses to turn CC on, I have no idea how you can turn it on accidentally.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.