Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 41

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator


@park wrote:

2. CC gets garbled on certain machines, in certain areas, primarily on recorded programs.

    This seems to be Navigatr specific.  e.g. @OLDYELLR in London who has a SA8300 does not experience garbled CCs while others who have NB2s or 3s in his area do. I never had the problem (Mississauga) with RTN or my long-gone wonderful SA8300, but had it with Navigatr since July.  Am not actively looking for it, but it seems to have gone away recently on the shows we watch.

I hope a Rogers team is on this like a dirty shirt, using whatever high-tech trouble-shooting tools they have, and hopefully working with those who are having that difficulty. Please let us know if that is the case.

 


Thanks park.  I edited my post (a few posts ago on this thread) to ask if someone could give us a clear, easy way to identify which box unit we have, and which version of Navigatr.  Could you do that when you have time?

 

I am using a Nextbox 3, for example.  Is there only one version of the Nextbox 3?

 

For a lot of us who need CC, the issue of how to turn it on and off is only relevant once.  We turn it on and leave it on for all live and recorded programs.  In my case, because many of my recorded programs no longer show CC, even though the live versions are broadcast with CC, I have tried exiting the recording, going to live tv and turning CC off and then back on again.  It has not helped.  Still no CC when I go back to the recorded program.  This problem started with Navigatr, of course.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 17

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

Finally - a way to turn CC on/off that works the same for recordings or live. Seven button presses:

 

Guide

Info

Up Arrow

Up Arrow

OK

Exit

Exit

 

I'm going to make a little card to keep beside me with these steps on it.

 

 

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor
Posts: 480

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator


@jjmartin wrote:

Finally - a way to turn CC on/off that works the same for recordings or live. Seven button presses:

 

Guide

Info

Up Arrow

Up Arrow

OK

Exit

Exit

 

I'm going to make a little card to keep beside me with these steps on it.

 

 


 

Hey, yet another new insight, using the ^ UP ARROW ^

7 button pushes means we do not have to pour ourselves a stiff drink !

 

Q: Is this based on @BSs info just posted or something you figured out separately ?.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor
Posts: 480

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator


@Cush wrote:

@park wrote:

2. CC gets garbled on certain machines, in certain areas, primarily on recorded programs.

    This seems to be Navigatr specific.  e.g. @OLDYELLR in London who has a SA8300 does not experience garbled CCs while others who have NB2s or 3s in his area do. I never had the problem (Mississauga) with RTN or my long-gone wonderful SA8300, but had it with Navigatr since July.  Am not actively looking for it, but it seems to have gone away recently on the shows we watch.

I hope a Rogers team is on this like a dirty shirt, using whatever high-tech trouble-shooting tools they have, and hopefully working with those who are having that difficulty. Please let us know if that is the case.

 


Thanks park.  I edited my post (a few posts ago on this thread) to ask if someone could give us a clear, easy way to identify which box unit we have, and which version of Navigatr.  Could you do that when you have time?

 

I am using a Nextbox 3, for example.  Is there only one version of the Nextbox 3?

 

For a lot of us who need CC, the issue of how to turn it on and off is only relevant once.  We turn it on and leave it on for all live and recorded programs.  In my case, because many of my recorded programs no longer show CC, even though the live versions are broadcast with CC, I have tried exiting the recording, going to live tv and turning CC off and then back on again.  It has not helped.  Still no CC when I go back to the recorded program.  This problem started with Navigatr, of course.


I use 2 NB3s with version 6.0.0.0132 of the Cisco software and Espial browser  6.0.8-1.1.90

Have not noticed any garbled CCs recently.. Used to be very common on CTV.

 

See:  http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 17

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

Q: Is this based on @BSs info just posted or something you figured out separately ?.

 

Yes, it was based on that earlier post. But I discovered a while ago that the Up arrow goes to the bottom of the list and CC is now visible.

 

I don't use CC very often, I'm not deaf, just don't hear frequencies above 4K Hertz. Sometimes I can't quite make out what was said, so I rewind a bit, turn CC on, then re-watch. Tedious, but getting old sucks other ways too.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 41

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator


@park wrote:



I use 2 NB3s with version 6.0.0.0132 of the Cisco software and Espial browser  6.0.8-1.1.90

Have not noticed any garbled CCs recently.. Used to be very common on CTV.

 

See:  http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en


 

Hi park,

 

You are writing way over my head.  I am already learning more than I ever wanted to know, or thought I would need to know, just to watch recorded tv programs with CC.  I guess, if it had never been available I wouldn't care, but it was available and with Navigatr Rogers took it away.

 

If it's not too difficult to explain, where do I click to see what version of Cisco software is installed, and are there other software providers whose software might be installed?   Are all NB3s the same?

 

And Espial browser?  Is that something Rogers installed on the NB3s, or is that something you've added and uploaded?  And how do I find it?  And check what version I have?

 

Thanks

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor
Posts: 480

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

AN OBVIOUS QUESTION and CRITIQUE !

 

THis may not belong here (please feel free to relocate to relevant topic area or print-off and drop on the the OOPs desk).

 

Question: Why was the newly found CC work-around not previously posted by Rogers or in how  to or video or facebook?  Apologies if it already has,  but I am not aware of any such communications.

 

Navigatr has serious problem and serious people are posting their concerns here.

Plus Rogers directs many new people to these forums.

It seems those people post once (or less) and promptly cancel service after viewing the torrent of concerns, with NO coherent response for Rogers. 

 

The mods do an excellent job of keeping us on-track and positive, however the forum is lacking a viable 2 way feedback mechanism on serious issues like the new Navigatr.  REs (who are often guessing themselves) is not a suitable or accurate response.  

 

I implore Rogers to inform us of Navigatr changes, fixes and work-in-progress in detail.

We should not have to find them out by accident !

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor
Posts: 480

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

Sorry @Cush

 

Go to  Settings > Trobleshooting > About

 

This tells you which versions of the Navi-software is in your machine.

 

As far as I know all NB3s are functionally identical hardware-wise.

We have no choice as to which software Rogers downloads or when it updates etc.

 

 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 41

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator


@park wrote:

 

See:  http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en


 

park, thanks for that link.

 

I have already filed a comlaint with the CRTC which was forwarded to Rogers with the request that they respond within 20 days.  We're at day 12 with no response.  I will wait to see if I receive a response before taking any other steps. 

 

As for why we never hear directly from Rogers about these issues; I worked for most of my career with and in corporations.  Anything that anyone might want to say or admit to has to be vetted by the lawyers.  Good luck with that.

 

As you may have read in one of my earlier posts, many years ago when I had my own business I had a cell phone issue with Rogers that went on for months.  Eventually, I emailed Ted Rogers directly and the issue was resolved that day. Unfortunately, Ted Rogers is no longer alive to give this company a focus on customer relations.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor
Posts: 194

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator


@jjmartin wrote:

Finally - a way to turn CC on/off that works the same for recordings or live. Seven button presses:

 

Guide

Info

Up Arrow

Up Arrow

OK

Exit

Exit

 

I'm going to make a little card to keep beside me with these steps on it.

 

 


OMG!!!  No more switching to Live TV turn on CC when watching a recording!

 

Thanks you!!!