Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

@boulevardier wrote:

Closed captioning can be turned on or off ONLY while watching LIVE TV.

Once it is turned on then closed captioning will work for everything from then on including SHOMI, On Demand, recorded shows and of course Live TV. To turn off Closed captions you must follow the same steps again only on LIVE TV.

This works, I just tested it.

I am happy for you that that works for you.  It does not work for me with our location and our box.  Instead of thinking that the rest of us have been too dim to figure out those instructions, just be happy it works for you.

Still does not work here.  I tested it again about an hour ago just in case it had been fixed when I rebooted today.  No such luck.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I dont think that is what they were trying to intend.
They were just trying to list the instruction which has 'worked' for most people so far.

Generally this has worked for MOST people.  In most cases.

There are some channels in which this does not appear to work, or it does come out garbled.

Unfortunately, there is no other solution at the moment, until they provide a 'fix'

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I was able to find Gotham on this station.  It is Channel 64 for M3 here or 477 for M3HD.  The Flash and Arrow were not new  shows.   Again, thank you for this.  I am keeping my fingers crossed it works. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

They were just trying to list the instruction which has 'worked' for most people so far.

Generally this has worked for MOST people.  In most cases.

There are some channels in which this does not appear to work, or it does come out garbled.

Unfortunately, there is no other solution at the moment, until they provide a 'fix'

Hi Gdkitty,

If you say it works for MOST people, I cannot dispute that.   I don't think of something working if it doesn't work for all channels, but maybe that's semantics, and you do such good stuff here I don't want to argue with you.

I Plan to Stick Around

" Instead of thinking that the rest of us have been too dim to figure out those instructions"

My dear hyper sensitive "Cush", Really! How do you know what I'm thinking??
Never thought anyone is "dim witted". Excuse me for trying to be helpful.
I Plan to Stick Around

@boulevardier wrote:
 Excuse me for trying to be helpful.

@boulevardier wrote:

Closed captioning can be turned on or off ONLY while watching LIVE TV.

Once it is turned on then closed captioning will work for everything from then on

I don't find this helpful.  If it's true for you, then good for you.  If Gdkitty feels that it works for MOST people, then I am happy for MOST people.  

I don't find it helpful to the discussion to pretend that this issue can be solved by simply going back to live TV and turning on CC.  For most of us who need CC, it is always on.  Going back to live TV and turning it off and back on has had no effect for the channels that have lost CC for recordings, at least for me.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Cush wrote:

I don't find it helpful to the discussion to pretend that this issue can be solved by simply going back to live TV and turning on CC.  For most of us who need CC, it is always on.  Going back to live TV and turning it off and back on has had no effect for the channels that have lost CC for recordings, at least for me.

What might be helpful would be if we can identify a region where a Rogers cable subscriber can see CC for recorded CTV or Global shows.

Can anyone actually do that? 

If you don't mind telling us - what area/region are you in?

And (if you know) what generation of Nextbox are you using?

And what version of Navigatr?

For Nextbox type and Navigatr version it would be helpful if someone could explain in detail (boulevardier? Gdkitty?) how to locate the type/generation of Nextbox and the version of Navigatr.

Thanks.

I'm an Advisor

Hello all, 

A few observations about CC:

- Not all programs have CC, even the same episode of the same program being broadcast on different channels. 

- Not all programs on a given station (Global, CTV, etc) will have CC. 

- Not all set top boxes are running the same build / version of Navigatr. Rogers is pushing software updates out, and not everyone is running the same version of the software. This might account for differences in how CC is working (or not working). 

- Low or poor signal quality can effect how and if CC is displayed. A very poor signal can lead to picture issues (pixellation) and garbled CC. 

Cush, I will check Global and CTV for you soon and post back with my results. 

I'm an Advisor

There are at least  2 distinct problems with CC.

1. Ability to easily turn (i.e. one or 2 button) CC on/off.  There is a work around that is neither intuitive or easy.

e.g. Way back in August I posted the detailed steps needed to do to it (including pouring yourself a stiff-drink at the end).  A few weeks later I forgot how to do it and and searched the forum and was surprised to find my own solution !

There is another work-around (thanks to Mrs. @BS) that amazingly works for recorded as well as live. 

Please see my next post.

2. CC gets garbled on certain machines, in certain areas, primarily on recorded programs.

This seems to be Navigatr specific.  e.g. @OLDYELLR in London who has a SA8300 does not experience garbled CCs while others who have NB2s or 3s in his area do. I never had the problem (Mississauga) with RTN or my long-gone wonderful SA8300, but had it with Navigatr since July.  Am not actively looking for it, but it seems to have gone away recently on the shows we watch.

I hope a Rogers team is on this like a dirty shirt, using whatever high-tech trouble-shooting tools they have, and hopefully working with those who are having that difficulty. Please let us know if that is the case.

I'm an Advisor

Thanks to  Bruce and his eagle eyed other-half, here is a better work around to get CC when you are watching something that is not live, e.g recording or VOD etc. 

Per @BS

"From anywhere in the box, push the guide, go to info and choose cc, exit out and back to PVR or VOD you go.

It is actually the guide that provides for the consistent action on the "More" portions that deal with the box.  It just happens that in live tv you can get there without the guide step.

If you are in PVR or VOD and push guide, your show keeps running in top corner, or you can even pause it - it is there in the top right corner as it is with live TV.

Then do the info button - doesn't resolve the issue of what Info really means, but it provides a consistent way to get to cc and out quickly and with little confusion.  I now just go Guide, Info, CC, then out to my show, PVR, or VOD - only one thing way to remember and it works."

Still not very intuitive as you have to go to the guide to manage your CC on/off.

But it lets you see what you are watching and can get back to it in full-screen easily !!.

It may be part of a new update or been there all along. I suspect its is new as Rogers should/could/would have likely told us when this problem first appeared. Can anyone (e.g. RE, mods or anyone)  provide any insight ?

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.