Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

@foxykatt wrote:

Ever since my nextbox received the update this past Dec I can't figure out how to enable closed captioning for any of the On Demand (ch 309, 100, 328 etc.) content

You turn on the CC while watching a live programme.   The CC should then be "on" for any recorded programming or VOD, etc.  You need to go back to a live programme to turn CC off again. I have included a "workaround" for CC in the following links:

Please take a few minutes to read the following links - they will save you hours of frustrations and questions:

How To:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

Issues: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

Summary & Tips:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

I'm an Advisor

Hello all,

Wanted to update the community - I have tested CC functionality on a NextBox 9865 (Nextbox 3) connected to my TV via component video, and:

- Live TV: CC works when enabling CC on my **TV** (and not cable box).

- Live TV: CC partially works when enabling CC  on my cable box.

When CC is enabled via my cable box, I am seeing the same problems documented in this thread.

I've Been Here Awhile

This works for some channels but not all. Even after enabling cc on live TV, the tecordings from some channels (Global, WMOV, Action) still don't show cc.

Sometimes I get the cc on these channels  when I start the recording from a live channel. But this, of course negates the benefit of recording when you are not around.

I reported this twice to Rogers but got only their computer tell me that they noted my problem and will let me know when it is fixed. That's 3 weeks ago and still no update.

Very poor service by Rogers. I wonder if Bell's new TV service is better.

I Plan to Stick Around

Regarding the issue of a work-around to get CC on recorded programs:

In our case, CC is On always.   We need it whether we're watching live or recorded.  In case the system needed to be reminded, I have closed the recorded program we were trying to watch, gone to live, turned CC Off, then turned it back On.  That seems to have no effect.  The recorded program still did not show CC. 

Closed captioning does seem to work on recorded programs for some stations; for example AMC and Fox. However, CC does not work for CTV and Global. 

And, an extra frustration is that programs recorded several months ago on CTV or Global, programs that we could have watched with CC before this Navigatr upload was pushed out by Rogers, no longer can be viewed with CC.  How can that be?  They were originally recorded with the CC track.  They could originally be watched with the CC.  Now - no CC.

It's been 8 days since the CRTC gave Rogers 20 days to respond to my complaint about this.  So far, nothing.  I will update this forum if and when I receive a response.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have the same issue with On Demand, Pay Per View and PVR recorded shows.  It is a disappointment.   Join the people here who have emailed CRTC.  Maybe if enough of us email, something will finally be done. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Regarding channels for which CC does not work for recorded programs:

Previously, I wrote,

"Closed captioning does seem to work on recorded programs for some stations; for example AMC and Fox. However, CC does not work for CTV and Global."

I was wrong about AMC.  As with CTV and Global, no CC on recorded AMC programs. 

Again, I tried going back to live tv, turning CC off and back on.  No luck.  No CC when I restarted the recorded program.

I Plan to Stick Around

I found that if I record programs that are not done in Canada like Big Bang Theory, Criminal Minds etc. (wake up Rogers) and record them on the American stations, even if Cable is from Global or CTV or CTV2 the CC will show on the PVR recorded shows.  Shows recorded in Canada like Gotham, Arrow, The Flash, Saving Hope, etc that cannot be found on the American stations, just our Canadian stations will not record the CC.  😕

I Plan to Stick Around

@laura52 wrote:

Shows recorded in Canada like Gotham, Arrow, The Flash, Saving Hope, etc that cannot be found on the American stations, just our Canadian stations will not record the CC.  😕

Just noticed that Gotham, Arrow and The Flash are all shown on Channel M3HD (which is channel 36 here in London) and, at least for the one I tried, CC worked on the recorded show (which was The Flash). 

I don't think they show on the same times as CTV, but I did notice the season opener for Gotham was there.  I set it to record the series.  We'll see if it does, and if the CC works consistently.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you so much for this.  I am not at home but will look for that station for sure and it is time for me to write to CTV & Gobal because I am sure they will not be happy that their rival communications of Rogers  has made it such a dance around effort for the hard of hearing/deaf  to record and receive CC,

I Plan to Stick Around

Closed captioning can be turned on or off ONLY while watching LIVE TV.

Once it is turned on then closed captioning will work for everything from then on including SHOMI, On Demand, recorded shows and of course Live TV. To turn off Closed captions you must follow the same steps again only on LIVE TV.

This works, I just tested it.

To turn ON Closed Captioning follow these steps (Courtesy of super contributor "park") 

1. Jump to a live program, e.g. hit [last].

2. Click the [info] button.

3. Click down a couple times till you are on the  (i) [more].

4. Select it.

5. Click down 8 times

6. click on  [turn cc on]

7. click [exit] button

You will now see closed captions on Live TV, SHOMI, On Demand, and recorded shows until you turn them off again.

8. For example for Recorded Shows Click [List], this will take you to your recordings.

9. Select the recording that you want to watch

10 Hit [Watch] or [resume]

11. Pour yourself a stiff drink or take a few deep breaths and watch your recordings with the subtitles on

12. Call Rogers to let them know how easy this was compared to the old system !!!

(In the good old days you only had to press the [INFO] button and select CC [back-arrow twice] then [OK-select] from within Live TV, SHOMI, On Demand, and recorded shows. 4 button presses vs. a minimum of 13 today on Navigator!

Progress! Am I right?)