Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

For all the live and recorded programs closed captioning worked.

But found a different bug.

I tried brief recordings of Comedy and CTC2 ti see if CC worked there.

They did.  But found another NEW (to me) bug.

I could not stop recording them with the little red button, though that was how I started the recordings.

For those logging these things (maybe even Rogers too ) and keeping track, thats another bug, I guess.

Had to use the long method hitting the [list] button, selecting the program being recorded,

Selecting stop recording, then had to go back in again and erase.  

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@rudyriedl wrote:

This works for some channels but not all. Recorded shows from Global for example won't show cc even when it is on with the live channel.

It works OK for me. I have Navigatr and I just watched a recorded episode of Elementary (recorded on Global) and could enable  CC.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@park wrote:

@57  You probobly know more about CC and how it works than anyone else here.

Might the CC garbling have something to do with the way the channnel broadcasts i.e. 720p  or 1080i

and how Rogers Cable and Rogers boxes then compact/compress these signals ?

So far I have not used CC that much on Navagatr.  I didn't have an issue with Garbled Text with RTN or with Navigatr so far.  It may be due to the channels I use it on - mostly PBS, TMN, MuchMoreRetro, MuchLoud, CP24. I seem to recall others mentioning CTV as a "problem".

I've Been Here Awhile

I did this very experiment this week. Shows taped on NBC, CBS...those had perfect cc on the Navigatr pvr. The same shows taped on CTV...did not.
I'm Here A Lot

We are finding the same thing. CTV recording have an annoying strobe flash of cc letters that have nothing to do with the show dialog which, off course means stopping the show, exiting the PVR to live TV, to turn off the cc and then back to the recorded show. Depending on where the recorded show is in the set of "tiles" which stupidly do not indicate how long the recording is this involves a real finger dance. So far my record is 26 pushes of buttons in order to cancel faulty cc on a CTV recording. 

A really conscientious company would be working day and night to fix this embarrassing incompetency or pulling teh faulty product and reverting to the old interface until their "new improved" version was truly that.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I received the same form letter from CRTC.  I sure hope something is done soon. This has been ridiculous on their part to not address this.  Oh I get it they said 20 days and for me it has been over a week since I received this email and no word from Rogers as yet, other than to tell me they removed my post about CRTC.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, although it is a form response, the fact that CRTC has opened an investigation and is asking for a response means that they do consider this to be an issue to investigate and clarify just what actions Rogers will take.

If they are outside of the scope of their mandate, they will decline to review your concern and suggest actions you can take.

I expect that the response will be similiar to the concerns to CRTC back in August, that ultimatel led to them acknowledging that there was an issue with font size that they were working with to work towards continualy improving our viewing experience in the FAQ reference to Ellen Roseman - anything in that FAQ that said they were working to improve our experience was worked on in the bug fix - so when a fix finally comes we will probably see a change.

Based upon announcements, Technicolor has taken over all Cisco operations of set top boxes in November - I wonder if the fixes put out on their builds in late November, and January were Technicolor or Cisco - the description still says Cisco Videoscape - wonder if Technicolor doesn't want their name on this work, but obviously someone is doing the work.

Time will tell.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

I noticed that same thing as well.  Only the long way around would stop the recording by hitting List and then going to the program to cancel recording. 

I'm an Advisor

@BS wrote:

Yes, although it is a form response, the fact that CRTC has opened an investigation and is asking for a response means that they do consider this to be an issue to investigate and clarify just what actions Rogers will take.

If they are outside of the scope of their mandate, they will decline to review your concern and suggest actions you can take.

I expect that the response will be similiar to the concerns to CRTC back in August, that ultimatel led to them acknowledging that there was an issue with font size that they were working with to work towards continualy improving our viewing experience in the FAQ reference to Ellen Roseman - anything in that FAQ that said they were working to improve our experience was worked on in the bug fix - so when a fix finally comes we will probably see a change.

Based upon announcements, Technicolor has taken over all Cisco operations of set top boxes in November - I wonder if the fixes put out on their builds in late November, and January were Technicolor or Cisco - the description still says Cisco Videoscape - wonder if Technicolor doesn't want their name on this work, but obviously someone is doing the work.

Time will tell.

Bruce

Hi @BS and @laura52 I expect the software rights to videoscape (whatever that is, maybe the core middleware perhaps?) remain with Cisco. They are free to licence it to whomever, e.g Technicolu8r/Espial.

Recall the "browser" in the JULY 28 version of Navigatr  came from a company (ANT?) in England that Espial bought out

a couple years earlier.

RE: CRTC 

The fundamental problem with Navigatr (other than the poor designs and terrible implimentaion),

is that we have no choice in the PVR we use. I has to come frrom Rogers with whatever software the decide we need

This reminds me of the olden days at Bell and telehones. NO CHOICE.

Perhaps the CRTC can be presuaded to reopen the market for PVRS like exists currently in the US and I believe the UK as well.  In the analog world we could acquirte our own PVRs, why not in the digital world.

It seems to  the only long term solution to Rogers doing this over and over.

I would be like you could have only one kind of cellphone or Tablet.

I've Been Around

Ever since my nextbox received the update this past Dec I can't figure out how to enable closed captioning for any of the On Demand (ch 309, 100, 328 etc.) content which includes movies and tv shows like the walking dead or game of thrones. I can enable cc for live tv the same way I did before the update by hitting INFO on my remote buuuut that doesn't work anymore for on demand content! What gives?!?! Letdown after repeated letdown, Rogers!!!

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.