Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

To turn on CC while watching a recorded program, see message # 77 (it's not easy).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As mentioned.. its not EASY at the moment 😞
(this is a MAJOR deficiency in the current software and needs to be a top priority over many of the other things which people just dont like)

The only WORK AROUND so far for it, is to go into live TV, and turn it on there first.

Then start your recording.
This does seem to work for some recordings... well it works that it turns it on.. but some people have found specific recordings, that it comes out with garbled text.

I Plan to Stick Around

For Reference: I have NB3 with new Navigator from Jan/16 in Toronto. Basic Cable (channels 2-28 and equivalent HD). I use CC all the time. Live and Recorded. Works perfectly EXCEPT on CTV feeds!!

So, here's another quirk that showed up from last night. I set my box to record Super Bowl 50 on CTV (Cable 8). Now, I also set it to record Legends of Tomorrow on the same CTV (Cable 😎 that followed right after.

Guess what? When I went to watch them later on, CC worked perfectly on the Super Bowl recording. I was amazed.

Then, I went to watch the recording of Legends and because it was scheduled to record at 8:00pm, Super Bowl had not ended yet and so recorded the last 40 minutes of Super Bowl. But, this time when I watched the same last minutes of the game CC was garbled again like it usually always is on CTV! Wierd or what?

Is there somehow a difference of US feed to canada feed?

Take care everyone.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Huh.. that is interesting.

CTV does seem that one of the channels that people have specifically mentioned being an issue with the garbled CC, but only on recordings.

That it worked on one, and not the other..... feed is maybe a possibility..

That it works on LIVE though.. what it it doing to the CC header information or whatever, when its recording it?

I Plan to Stick Around

When I record CTV it only shows 2 or 3 garbled letters in the CC banner that often seem to want to spell CTV. Only this Super Bowl recording was different.

But, live TV I have no problems.

I Plan to Stick Around

If you find a way to turn it on with the new upgrade of Navitr™ for recorded programs on the NextBox 3 please let me know because even previously recorded programs that used to have the CC on have all turned into a garbled mess flashing on and off.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Currently, there is only the work around way to get closed captioning working on recordings 😞

Turning on CC on live TV, before you go into a recording.

Though people have found a mix of some which are playing fine, and others which come out garbled.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you Gd Kitty.   I had read your response earlier and tried your suggestion, but as soon as I went to a recorded program everything was the same as before, so it didn't work.  I was finally able to get through to Rogers and they are sending out a Technician tomorrow since they could not find anyway to fix it from their end.  Thank you for answering my question though.  I wish it had worked.   As I said, I have no problem through the Info or Setting button for turning the CC on/off.  It is getting the CC on the recorded programs to not be garbled mess and blinking on and off, which bothers me severely as an Epileptic.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You may as well cancel your technican visit.  They will not be able to do to ANYTHING related to it.  Its not the box, its not the signal.

Its just bad programming on the box.

Unfortunately, that work around is the ONLY way at the moment, until they fix it.
And as you have seen.. doesnt ALWAYS work 😞

I Plan to Stick Around

I am so disheartened to read this. Smiley Sad  Even if your suggested way would work, I would be okay, but to read this has been happening since it was first rolled out in July, when customers I personally know, who lost all of their recorded programs period, you would think before they released this to us, it would have gone back to the programming department.  I will stay grateful at least my husband can understand what is being said on the programs recorded...and no turning it up doesn't help either because it is a tone deaf problem I have, so I really can't understand them unless they are very precise and or don't have their back to the camera.   Thank you again for responding.