Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Closed caption with new Nextbox navigator

Thanks for this, but I hae now figured it out. When viewing the guide, if you press the "C" button, you can then select either favourites, or all channels with a few other options.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty @park

I am a newbie here and I know Gdkitty has been here years and Park a while too. So, I am not interested in stepping on any toes but, I also wondered to myself why would a resident expert comment when they basically say "but I don't really know because I don't really use it!??

Just saying...

** Mea culpe : I just earned a reply badgeSmiley Surprised

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @rickschlau

Resident Experts are allowed to comment just like any user can which has or not used it. We don't work for Rogers nor do our comments represent Rogers. They are our own comments. If the user or RE choses to comment then they will and it doesn't matter if they have used it or not. It's a public forum.

Gdkitty did state " i couldn't 100% confirm"..  So that also means that he is trying to help but isn't sure that it's correct. So another RE or user can come and correct him or anyone else at any time. We are here to help as much as we can.

I Plan to Stick Around

My post when I started it, before it was moved in this broader one, was specifically about CC on shomi and ROD, and your suggestion doesn't work there. I appreciate the help, but if you could not replicate my specific problem, which anyone with access to these services and a remote can, and have a fix for it, the reply is simply speculation that adds to the length of the thread without really helping. I'm only saying that because. I got hundreds of notifications after this post and not one answer, except for a couple of confirmations of other folks having the same problem, so now I'm terribly sorry I started the post in the first place, and I un subscribed from the community mailer.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I do apologize for any problems it may have caused, and was not my intention.
I was just stating my belief, which I will will take 100% responsibility is wrong.
(I will try and be more cautious in the few things I am not fully sure of)

Unfortunately, unless there is a fix, sometimes that is all you will get is replies of people confirming the same issue though 😞
There is not alway a specific answer.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @arobitu

Again not eveyone uses the CC and they come and help as much as they can. We can't stop them from doing so. They are human beings trying to help. Again not many use that feature. So us as RE's or users try to come here and give some knowledge about it even though we don't know much. We will always learn.

Hopefully it gets resolved.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I hope someone can help by sharing a way to easily toggle between cc on and off using the new guide. We frequently use cc (closed captioning) to ensure that tv viewing is accessible for one of our family members who has hearing difficulties. However, we only have it on when that individual is actually in the room watching tv as the location of the captions and their timing often cause problems by covering up areas of the screen that are important or by giving away what is about to happen by appearing prematurely. So, we frequently turn them on and off to be respectful to everyone's tv viewing experience based on the people in the room, often numerous times while watching a single program. With the new guide, we have not found a way of doing this without having to not only stop the show we are watching but having to go all the way out if the recorded programs playback section of the guide.

If there is no way to do this with one or two key strokes, the new guide has made life more difficult for those viewers who have hearing difficulties, an issue which I hope Rogers will fix in the near future to ensure that the Navigatr remains a quality tool for all. This is a minor feature to implement which may only affect a small number of tv viewers but will ensure that minority is given equal quality access to your services.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

The "C" button does not do anything during live tv or during watching a recording.

How about using this button to toggle CC.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Like you, we use the CC quite often, but not all the time. We often turn CC on and off during the day.  The only way I have found to use CC on the Navigatr guide is to go to Info in a live show (not recorded), and press more and then go CC and turn it on or off. The CC option is hidden unless you press the up or down button to get to it. I have not been able to use it any other way. If I happen to forget to turn it on while watching a recorded program, I have to get out of the program, go to a live show and then go through the process and then restart the recorded program In was watching. This is cumbersome and requires many more steps than before. The new Navigatr guide which was forced upon us and which we have no choice in using, is a step back in functionality. A new system should be an inprovement, not a diminishment. I hope Rogers will understand what the issue is and get this fixed quickly.  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you, guys. Appreciated. My point was simply to take a few seconds to validate your suggestions before posting it in a reply, since it should be quite easy to do so, and to keep the answers on topic (a lot of guys pointed out how to do it for live TV, which wasn't what my question in the original post was about). I appreciated the good intentions never the less, but the volume of replies that had very little to say was a lot, and since I came to this forum for technical opinions not social interaction, I thought that a bit more focus from the community at large would benefit everyone in the future.

For the few out there that are subscribing to shomi or used ROD and use CC, in answer to my original post, I got in touch with Rogers support and they confirmed it is a defect introduced with the new Navigator for which there is no workaround currently. They opened a ticket for me, but there is no ETA at this time. I'll keep this forum posted once I'll hear more.