Cisco 8642HD No Longer Records after Upgrade to New Enhanced Guide

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Cisco 8642HD No Longer Records after Upgrade to New Enhanced Guide

Hello, The new Enhanced Guide seems to be loaded with bugs, but Rogers claims that it is a hardware issue, while at the same time insisting that my older 8642HD is the same as the newer ones which work. The difference is that I own my box (past warrantee, of course) vs. renting. It recorded fine with the old guide. Have the newer machines upgraded to more compatible electronics, but they kept the model number the same? Is there a permanent hardware impairment in my machine or is Rogers simply refusing to debug their new Enhanced Guide to make it usable on both newer and older models? Can I get the hardware upgrades done to my old box? Symptoms: - the screen indicates 75.7% full even thought there are no recordings indicated. - I notice that it goes into reboot mode the second that it stops recording a programmed show. - When you access the recorded show, it seems to indicate that it is still recording - even days afterward. - You get a black screen with sound from the current channel when you try to play the recorded show. When playing, it seems to be instead recording the current channel. When you rewind, you get playback of what you just heard on the current channel, including the black screen. - The unit deletes the program to record the show. I tried to upgrade about 6 months ago and the issues were exactly the same, even the 75.7% full figure. Is there a solution (besides going back to the old guide) or has the Rogers Enhanced Guide turned my HD PVR into a $500 cable box? Thanks.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Cisco 8642HD No Longer Records after Upgrade to New Enhanced Guide

The boxes are the same, just branded differently, but same models, etc. (maybe different hard drives, that sort of thing)

I had mine for almost a year before the guide came available, And then upgraded. And luckily it hasn't had an issue other than some of the global bugs.

That you have had the same exact issue twice, when trying to upgrade, the software now would be slightly updated over 6months ago... SOMETHING is causing an issue with the upgrade :(. WHAT, is the question.

Just curios, do you have any form of extender pluged in for it?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

As Gdkitty said, the hardware is the exact same, except for different size hard drives.  The new "Nextbox 2.0" models are the 8642 (and 4642) models WITH the new enhanced guide.  New guide = Nextbox 2.0, old guide = regular pvr - its just advertising/names.

As far as hard drives go, there are 3 different models, a 160 GB, a 320 GB, and a 500 GB.  This can be dertermined by locating a sticker on the back of the box.  Typically it will say: HD1 (indicates a 160 gig model), HD2 (indicates a 320 gig model), and HD3 (indicating a 500 gig model).

As far as your specific issue goes, with the new enhanced guide there is a way to reset the box to factory defaults. If you press the Menu button on remote, you should be at the main menu, under the SYSTEM tab, at the very buttom I believe its under TROUBLESHOOTING, there is an option to reset to factory default, which will format your hard drive and reload the software.  Choose this option as a last resort, and hopefully it will work out any bugs that might have caused your issue.  If you do choose this option, its recommended to leave the box alone for a while and let it do its thing (do it at night before you go to sleep, and it should be ready to go by morning).

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey, thanks for the quick replies! It's an HD1 (160 gig) with nothing else hooked into it, other than a LAN cable, and of course the Rogers cable. Using the HDMI output only. We don't record many programs, so 160 gigs is more than sufficient, but the pay-off is when we're away for week. And I really like the iPad app they came out with (although given the above, I don't get much benefit from it). Would like to avoid the risks with a reset to factory default, but looks like that's where I'm headed (deep breath)...
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Might be te best bet, or at least worth a try, nothing to lose at this point.

Now, while the box HAS a LAN port, it actualy doesn't use it. While I don't think that should effect the update, I would unplug it, you never know, it could be something silly like that.

I Plan to Stick Around

For the longest time, I agreed that the LAN port was unused.

However, I believe that it now has been given a purpose in order to utilize the iPad app to control and program your box. Both pieces of hardware need to be on the same home network. I don't think it uses Bluetooth, nor Wi-Fi to connect to each other (other than the iPad using Wi-Fi to connect to the home network).

An app to control one of my other home theatre pieces outright states that they need to be on the same network.

I will give the factory reset a try in a few weeks - after our next trip. Had already gone back to the old guide last night (sigh) in order to record while away.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nope :). While I understand what you are saying, it's not quite the same as the home theatre app (which I use one as well)

I have used the Rogers app remote many times on my 8642. And it IS NOT connected into the network at all. I think regardless of how it's done it sends to Rogers then back out via the cable signal to the box. (Compare to the home theatre which is all local)

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey,

Got the email notice of your post while on the phone with Rogers.

Turns out that in a moment of weakness, I allowed the Future Shop kid who sold me this box to also sell me an extended warrantee. It runs out this June <High Five!>.

Interesting thing, though: While Rogers customer reps have no hesitation telling you this is a hardware problem and you're tough outta luck, they run and hide when you ask them to put it in writing in an email for use to invoke the FS warrantee. Won't even send a confirmation that the tech support ticket exists.

They told me to give Future Shop the Rogers ticket #, and Rogers would tell Future Shop the issue over the phone (yeah, right). Otherwise, I can wait until Monday and speak to thier management office to try and get them to issue a written letter.

Wish me luck!

(guess you need Activex and content filtering turned off to allow your text to format)

I Plan to Stick Around

OK, picked up the new HD PVR at Future Shop this morning, invoking their extended warrantee. It seemed like I was in and out in less time than what it takes to navigate to a living customer rep using Rogers' byzantine tech support phone menu.

No hassles and excuses this time - just signed a few things and I was on my way with the new NextBox right off the shelf. And despite having the same model number as the old box, this one does have different hardware - such as the USB plug in the front. I bet, therefore, much of the other innards are better, as well.

Also hoping that GDkitty is right about not needing the LAN cable connected - that hopefully means I can access my box and program recordings from my iPad while on the road.

They also gave me 500 Gig box, versus the 160 Gig one I brought back - guess they don't sell the latter anymore. And, needless to say, I shelled out for the maximum 4-year Future Shop extended warrantee this time around. Next time I have a problem, I won't even bother wasting my time again with Rogers.

The lesson of the story: Avoid buying your HD PVR at a Rogers store because all you'll probably get is a 2-year warrantee and a steaming plate of excuses.

Never thought I'd see myself writing this: Future Shop prevails where Rogers fails!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I can guarantee you that you don't need the LAN 🙂

Mine is connected without it.

I have the iphone app.

I have set recordings from at work, as well as used the 'remote' while at home.

With the LAN port NOT pluged in 🙂