Cisco 8642 Menu system is BRUTAL

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Cisco 8642 Menu system is BRUTAL

I've really run out of patience with the menu system on my 8642. It's brutally slow no matter what's done: Opening a guide, running (crawling) through the ROD menu, even changing channels....it's slow slow slow.

Rogers really should be ashamed of themselves for releasing such a crappy system. In the 18 months or so since they released that new menu system it hasn't improved at all.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Cisco 8642 Menu system is BRUTAL

Its not so much the menu, but the hardware.

The menu works "fine" on the 4642 and the 9825...but the 8642 just mever had the guts to run the rogers enhanced menu.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Lurker hit it exactly.

The guide is pretty fine on the 4642, only slight slowness on the RoD stuff, but other changes are pretty quick.

The 8642, with all else its trying to do with the guide, PVR functions, etc. the hardware, is just ILL EQUIPED to run the guide efficiently.

the new NB3 (the 9865), is completely new hardware, and the guide runs lightning fast comparatively.
If you are just on a straight rental or rent to own, and not on a purchased box, you may want to consider switching to it.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Yet, Rogers then takes away the ability to switch to the old guide!   Why is that??  Rogers??, do you have to pay Cisco to use the SARA software????   Almost takes me back to the old days, when they tried to force all those channels on us.

Whoever forced the new guide on the 8642,  my opinion should be fired!!!!!

I'm a Trusted Contributor

We have the 9865HD PVR and the 8642HD.

Our 8642 takes about 20-25 seconds to load one (1) program to record. We have basically had to stop using the 8642 and use the 9865.

Because the "new" Navigatr guide that was forced upon all Rogers clients, and it actually creates worse performance with the old 8642 Nextbox hardware, then Rogers is fully responsible for this malaise. They should therefore allow clients to use the "old" guide which was much quicker on the 8642. 

Rogers has actually caused the service on the 8642 to become slower, NOT faster!  

This promotional video is therefore entirely false advertising.   Enhanced Navigatr ????? 

If there is a serious flaw in a product, then a recall would be the appropriate action by a responsible company.

It appears that Rogers is not a responsibile company.  In fact, Rogers ignores its customers, hoping that any problems will just be forgotten by its clients.  I have not yet seen Rogers officially make any statement about this faulty product. 

Do you complain to the CRTC if you have an irresponsible Internet Service Provider (ISP) who provides you with a faulty product? 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The original post in this thread was from 2014.  He was therefore talking about the 8642 and RTN firmware, possibly after switching from SARA...  While it's true that Navigatr made the 8642 slower still, that's not really why this thread was created.

I Plan to Stick Around

I completely agree. These complaints and problems have been going on for so long that Rogers should be going back to the old menu until they know that the new one runs just as well, but they don't care.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I try to post to the most applicable topic I can find, rather than start a new topic. Even if the posts are old the problem is the same.

In this case the specific equipment 8642HD Netbox was mentioned in the subject heading as well as a description of its performance.  If the old menu system was BRUTAL, then with the new Navigatr system, it is worse than BRUTAL, it is TORTURE. This an update of Alph's previous post for 2016 in order to keep the community informed.