Channels not available in HD on Rogers Cable

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Channels not available in HD on Rogers Cable

@robindp wrote:

Hello @assenavlp,

@assenavlp wrote:

@OLDYELLR

Zooming in at 25% cuts off a significant amount of the picture. Not a viable solution.

Do you have a "picture stretch" or "aspect ratio" button on your TV remote control? These typically do a better job than the zoom/stretch modes on the Cisco boxes - test it out next time you see content that is window-boxed (black bars on all sides).

On my Vizio, the button has a rectangular icon with thick borders on the left & right.

I'm back to using the old 5-button Atlas remote with the # (Aspect) button. I tried the new Champion RF remote but it had functions missing, including Aspect. I can change the picture fit and aspect  with the Samsung TV picture function and also adjust it with the Rogers # button.  Right now when I go to TCM I'm seeing a 4:3 480p picture with black margins all around, not full screen (watching The Last Sunset). Using the Rogers # button, Zoom 1  fills the screen and Zoom blows it up some more. I just paused it where I see a wagon wheel and changing the zoom does not appear to affect the aspect ratio,  On a regular HD channel, like Global,  the # button gives me 4 options, NormalStretch (stretched horizontally), Zoom 1 (stretched horizontally and vertically, normal aspect) and Zoom 2 (zoomed more, normal aspect).  The only time I use the # button is to fill the screen with a small 4:3 SD picture.

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Around

There is definitely an issue. It seems that they're only picking up the TCM SD broadcast. I chatted with a Tech team rep and he said that both ch. 48 and ch. 563 (which should always be HD!) were showing SD content. He submitted a ticket for me ad hopefully someone over there realizes there is a major issue with this channel.

Bedtime for me. Hopefully I dream in HD at least.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@userguy69 is right.  Rogers IT are aware of the issue and it relates to a piece of equipment at Rogers that will need repair/replacing. My contact talked to master control and they expect the issue to be resolved "soon" (ETA a couple of days). My contact (reached through Share a concern) will call me when it's fixed.

My contact originally told me there was nothing wrong and that it was due to "old movies not being made in HD". When I explained to him that old movies were typically film-based and that they can be easily telecined to HD video material if the original quality is good (35mm typically) he stopped trying to BS me.

I then asked him to look at the diagnostics of his STB under "Diagnostics - Manufact. Diag - Platform Status - Decoder/Encoder where you can see that the signal is 480i instead of HD. After that he apologized profusely for trying to BS me and actually looked into the matter.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Looking at TCM this morning and an old B/W Saint movie from 1940 is playing. Looks like SD 4:3 but fills screen vertically. SA8300 diagnostics indicate SD. Inconclusive with this old movie, but I'll check later with a newer one.

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Looking at TCM this morning and an old B/W Saint movie from 1940 is playing. Looks like SD 4:3 but fills screen vertically. SA8300 diagnostics indicate SD. Inconclusive with this old movie, but I'll check later with a newer one.

Old movies have nothing to do with SD vs HD.  Decent quality film can provide HD.  However, those old movies will be 4:3, not wide screen.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The filler content's on, now, and it's definitely still showing at 4:3.

@OLDYELLR You still seem to be hesitant to take our word for it, even though two people have stated that Rogers has finally confirmed there's an issue. LOL And BTW, zooming 25% absolutely DOES cut off the edges of the picture. Maybe you don't care about that, but movie lovers generally do, and I'm not paying Rogers an arm and a leg every month so that I have to fiddle with the remote control, let alone pull out a second remote, every time I change the channel.

Here's the funny thing with Rogers....I ALWAYS get an email performance survey after I've dealt with them. This time when they were unable to help, and I was adamant that there was an issue that they were just not understanding, no survey to be seen. And @57  I sent in a report (as you suggested yesterday), with the promise of a reply within 24 hours, and still nothing on that front either. I have generally been very satisfied with Rogers tech support over the years, but this was a disappointing experience. Thank goodness for the forum anyway.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Hello @assenavlp,

I am in the same boat as you, and strongly recommend you use the aspect ratio / picture stretch button on your TV remote (not Rogers remote).

Can be inconvenient, but stretching window-boxed (black bars on all sides) content can be done correctly with minimal loss of picture on any side.

EDIT: Using the "Aspect" button on the Rogers remote works well on certain programs where the content is "full screen" (4:3) aspect ratio with no letterboxing (example: channel 5 in Ontario, TV Guide).

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks @robindp but I'll live with it until Rogers gets their act together. Aside from the hassle, I don't even know where that remote is at the moment. LOL

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Hello @assenavlp,

LOL, I hear you. The last time I lost my remote, the staff at Rogers Plus were able to give me a replacement - if you have some time, swing by one and describe your problem - they may have some extra remotes available.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@robindp  I have the Rogers remote....it's the original TV remote that's.....somewhere...lol

But the squeaky wheel gets the grease.....just got a phone call from a Rogers technician....they added my name to the ticket and are working on this problem with a tentative target of 48 hours. 🙂