Channels not available in HD on Rogers Cable

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: Channels not available in HD on Rogers Cable

Nice! I hope this gets resolved for you.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have also noticed this problem with TCM in the last few days. It has definitely switched to SD, as even recent films are showing in SD.
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Hello @whatnext,

You should report this issue to Rogers - the more of us report the issue, the better the chance of getting it fixed.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I read another post, which indicated that Rogers is aware of the problem and working on the fix, which may take a few days. Hopefully it's resolved before the weekend.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@assenavlp wrote:

The filler content's on, now, and it's definitely still showing at 4:3.

@OLDYELLR You still seem to be hesitant to take our word for it, even though two people have stated that Rogers has finally confirmed there's an issue.

No, I'm with you. It's been SD every time I checked. But I haven't yet hit upon a movie that ought to be HD for sure. Going through the Guide, there's nothing newer than the 1960s.  As @57 said, there's no reason classic 1960s movies can't be transcoded as HD, but how many of them are? Let's hope it's just a temporary technical issue and Rogers hasn't decided to feed us the old movies in SD because we won't notice. They do seem to be reluctant to give us the remaining SD channels in HD.

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

As @57 said, there's no reason classic 1960s movies can't be transcoded as HD, but how many of them are? 

Probably all of them.  If they've been telecined for viewing on TMNHD, then they would have been telecined to probably a minimum of 720P.  Once you view these when TMNHD is again HD, you will see the quality.  The only movies that may still be a bit "blurry" would be ones from before 1950, although even then movies like Casablanca, or the Wizard of Oz, or Gone with the Wind, will look quite good, although not as good as something more recent, mainly due to the film stock or possible deterioration of that film stock over the years.  They will look better than SD, that's for sure.

Edit:  Even if the occasional movie were only telecined to 480i, it will look better on the HD channel because the upconverters that are used by the "broadcasters" are far superior to what's available in a STB or TV.  In the days before "Auto-HD" I did some comparisons of SD, Upconverts on an HD channel and HD. Here's a link.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/29-whats-television/125622-tcm-hd-discussion-do-they-use-hd-masters....

At that time, more than 5 years ago, TCMHD was doing upconverts. They now have access to "true HD". 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

@OLDYELLR wrote:

As @57 said, there's no reason classic 1960s movies can't be transcoded as HD, but how many of them are? 

Probably all of them.  If they've been telecined for viewing on TMNHD, then they would have been telecined to probably a minimum of 720P.  Once you view these when TMNHD is again HD, you will see the quality.  The only movies that may still be a bit "blurry" would be ones from before 1950, although even then movies like Casablanca, or the Wizard of Oz, or Gone with the Wind, will look quite good, although not as good as something more recent, mainly due to the film stock or possible deterioration of that film stock over the years.  They will look better than SD, that's for sure.

Edit:  Even if the occasional movie were only telecined to 480i, it will look better on the HD channel because the upconverters that are used by the "broadcasters" are far superior to what's available in a STB or TV.  In the days before "Auto-HD" I did some comparisons of SD, Upconverts on an HD channel and HD. Here's a link.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/29-whats-television/125622-tcm-hd-discussion-do-they-use-hd-masters....

At that time, more than 5 years ago, TCMHD was doing upconverts. They now have access to "true HD". 

35 mm film has been around for a long time, in fact has been the standard for the film industry since 1909.  So, any film, for the past several decades has been capable of much better than SD resolution.

35 mm film

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@57 wrote:

Thanks a lot for that link.  It explains a lot of what I may have been missing.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

It appears to me that TCM is now back to HD. At least the picture looks better and my SA8300HD diagnostics seems to indicate it, although I'm not entirely sure how to read those screens.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

It appears to me that TCM is now back to HD. 

Yep, back to 1080i. Thanks Rogers.