Channels not available in HD on Rogers Cable

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Channels not available in HD on Rogers Cable

My channels 48 and 563 are currently not showing properly. Rogers must be picking up the incorrect (SD) feed.  This must be recent because I recorded and watched a movie on TCM a couple of weeks ago.

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Right now it's showing Trapeze (1956).  Can't expect to see such old movies in HD because it didn't exist.

Older movies were shot on film.  Most film, 35mm or larger, has more than enough "resolution" to be considered HD when properly transcoded for TV.  The picture quality of older movies can be excellent for this reason.  Of course some of the older movies were shot in 4:3 aspect, but if they were shot on good film, can look great on an HD channel.  Movies have been shot in various aspects all the way from 1.1:1 to roughly 2.8:1.

As mentioned by @assenavlp earlier, a movie with an aspect close to 1.78:1 should fill an HDTV screen, but currently the TCM channels are shown "windowboxed" with black bars all around like other SD channels.  More on Black Bars below:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/76089-faq-black-bars-why-do-i-still-have-th...

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I just went back to Trapeze on 49, which was over and they were showing promotional material. Yes, the screen is now 4:3. Trapeze was wide screen (Cinemascope?) and I could change the aspect/zoom with the # button on my remote to fill the screen how I liked without distortion. (If you have the new Champion RF remote, there is no longer a zoom button).

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

57 wrote:

Older movies were shot on film.  Most film, 35mm or larger, has more than enough "resolution" to be considered HD when properly transcoded for TV.  The picture quality of older movies can be excellent for this reason.  Of course some of the older movies were shot in 4:3 aspect, but if they were shot on good film, can look great on an HD channel.  Movies have been shot in various aspects all the way from 1.1:1 to roughly 2.8:1.

That's what I would have thought too.  Although most old footage, not all movies, must not be transcoded properly and look worse than amateur 8mm. Let's hope this is just a temporary glitch with TCM.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLR

Zooming in at 25% cuts off a significant amount of the picture. Not a viable solution.

And Trapeze WAS showing at 4:3....at least on my TV (and others who are reporting the same problem)....hence the black bars on top, bottom, and both sides. There should never be black bars on the sides of a widescreen movie.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I tried contacting Rogers via Chat, but there was no response for 10 minutes.  I therefore sent a "Share a concern" instead.  Others who are seeing this issue, please also contact Rogers.  The more people who complain, the sooner it'll be fixed.

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/contactus/share-a-concern

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

"but there was no response for 10 minutes."

Same.

@57 Done!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Out of interest, I left the chat window open and a CSR came on 70 minutes later. I was away from the computer at the time.  You would think that a communication company would indicate an anticipated hold time, or respond sooner, or provide an option to get back to you, etc.

I've used chat before and usually had a timely response. Perhaps there were other more important issues today.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Hello @57,

I believe they are swamped due to the response on the recent promotions (specifically: 10GB for $60).  This is the reason I was given after asking about excessive hold/wait time yesterday.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Hello @OLDYELLR,

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@robindp I have the regular VIP, not the Ultimate. Don't know what the difference is anymore because Rogers doesn't show that. Over the years channels have been removed, but not replaced by anything equivalent.

The difference (when I upgraded to the package years ago) was that "VIP Ultimate + Movies" included TMN, HBO and all specialty channels available at that time (but no premium sports, adult or multicultural).

As you say, channels have been removed since then - and the VIP Ultimate and VIP packages are no longer available.

EDIT:

Suggestion: I am in Brampton (near Trinity Common Mall) and can receive PBS via OTA - using a Terk indoor antenna. 

If you pair an antenna with an OTA DVR (or Mohu AirWave+phone/tablet) - you could again receive your programming in HD and have the ability to record it.

Just a thought!

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Hello @assenavlp,

@assenavlp wrote:

@OLDYELLR

Zooming in at 25% cuts off a significant amount of the picture. Not a viable solution.

Do you have a "picture stretch" or "aspect ratio" button on your TV remote control? These typically do a better job than the zoom/stretch modes on the Cisco boxes - test it out next time you see content that is window-boxed (black bars on all sides).

On my Vizio, the button has a rectangular icon with thick borders on the left & right.