Channels not available in HD on Rogers Cable

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Channels not available in HD on Rogers Cable

I've watched Austin City Limits on WQLN PBS Erie, Channel 21 since long before I had an HD TV.  When I got an HD TV I saw that Rogers only broadcast WQLN in SD.  Asking around on another board I discovered WNED PBS Buffalo, Channel 525 also had ACL and it was HD. However, it seemed the broadcast was later in the week and was often different or non-existent.  Now ACL is gone from WNED completely.  Please Rogers, could we have WQLN in HD instead of SD? This is 2017!

***Edited Labels***

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Channels not available in HD on Rogers Cable

I too like some ACL programming and sometimes one of their programmes appears to be available only on the SD channel.  If that's the case I'll record that programme (and perhaps watch it then), but then keep my eye open for the same programme on Buffalo or Seattle PBS (both HD).  It is often (but not aways) available on one of them at a later date.

I have a similar issue with Motorweek. It is no longer available on the HD channels that I could find.  I record it on 163.

The various "This Old House" programmes also air at different times on the various PBS channels, but I set a series recording for one channel so that the programmes are usually aired "in order" despite the fact that it might be available "earlier" on the other PBSHD channel.  Same for the series like Vera, Endeavour, Dr. Blake, etc.

I do agree that SD channels are so 20th century, but it might cost more to negotiate the HD rights...

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Unfortunately the time shift channels available on VIP have been cut back. 163 and 164 are special order. Smiley Mad

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

There are also a huge amount of channel on Rogers that is not available in HD, especially here in the Atlantic. I have analysed my box's lineup and of all the regular (excluding On Demand, FM Radio/Audio Only, Stingray and system channels), only about 40% of the channels are in HD. Out of 317 channels only 126 are in HD.

I know it's a little out topic, but it's still match the title and it's still goes with the general idea of channels not available in HD on Rogers.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Hello @OLDYELLR,

That's strange - those channels still tune for me (VIP Ultimate package). Do you know if other VIP customers are still getting these channels?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@robindp I have the regular VIP, not the Ultimate. Don't know what the difference is anymore because Rogers doesn't show that. Over the years channels have been removed, but not replaced by anything equivalent.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure if anyone else is encountering this, but Turner Classic Movies HD has been a duplicate of the SD feed for me since yesterday morning. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I noticed that TCM on channel 48 (here in Toronto) spontaneously went to the 4:3 ratio last night, and remains so, this morning. I was told by one person at Rogers that it's simply not an HD channel.....

"But why was it fine on Saturday?" I asked. "I don't know," she said. "What number's the HD channel then?" No answer. She told me to simply zoom in which either stretches the picture or cuts the edges off. Obviously not a viable solution to something that is either their problem or TCM's problem....particularly when I'm paying an arm and a leg for the service. It would be helpful to speak with someone who could actually tell me what the problem is, and how they intend to fix it, rather than acting as if I'm crazy.

I found this old community thread that dealt with the same problem. It was eventually fixed without any explanation. Maybe Rogers could use that for reference to fix whatever is going on now:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/TCM-HD-aspect-ratio-problem/td-p/283841

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@assenavlp I get TCM on channel 49 and 563, both "TCMHD".  (This is with an SA8300HD, which automatically shows the lower channel numbers in HD if available.)  Right now it's showing Trapeze (1956).  Can't expect to see such old movies in HD because it didn't exist. I'll have to check it out when a more recent movie is playing.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLR

Just finished watching Trapeze....

Yes, I realise old movies aren't in HD 😉 but they should fit the screen.

As described in the original thread I provided, the screen has been cut to 4:3, leaving black bars on the side. I understand this happens with old shows and movies that were previously edited to fit old 4:3 TVs, BUT the letterbox movies are additionally being cut into this 4:3 ratio, so in addition to the black bars on the top and bottom, normal for widescreen movies, there are black bars on the sides, too, so it's a very small movie inside a big black frame.

And as I tried to tell two different people on the phone at Rogers, it was not doing this on Saturday.

edited to add:

Further, I just went to 563 (funny that the Rogers employee was unable to give me this channel number) and lo and behold, it's still in 4:3, and the movie is over, and TCM programming that should fill the screen is not doing so.