cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel stomping

rickwl2000
I plan to stick around

Rogers continues their practice of taking Canadian feed and overwriting( I am sure there is a better tem) Us channels and I an sick and tired of it. The other night there were 2 US feeds that were listed on the IPG that were airing Andor. Both feeds were instead flooded by Rogers sending the CTV feed of a Christmas show. It's bad enough that Rogers users have to put up with this for the Superbowl. We shouldn't have to do so on a daily basis. It is going to be so nice to kick this service to the curb once Bell finishes their Fiber project in the neighborhood. Over 20 years of this . is enough!

**Labels Added**

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Channel stomping

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Simsubs have been around for 50 years and are not going away - see link below:  Rogers (as well as other Canadian providers), must perform simsubs if requested by the Canadian broadcaster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_substitution

If you have a complaint about a particular programme that was improperly subbed, then contact the provider, the CRTC &/or CCTS.  Simsubs in general, is not a Rogers issue. Feel free to complain about the entire procedure by contacting the CRTC.

I notice you mention Bell.  Bell are actually the worst when it comes to requesting simsubs for their owned stations and for simbubs in areas where they are not legally done, like rural areas on Bell Satellite.  Bell Fibe will be no different than Rogers since this is a CRTC mandated procedure.  If you read the Wiki link I provided, you'll see that Bell was battling the hardest for simsubs on SuperBowls and took it to the Supreme Court.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Simsubs have been around for 50 years and are not going away - see link below:  Rogers (as well as other Canadian providers), must perform simsubs if requested by the Canadian broadcaster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_substitution

If you have a complaint about a particular programme that was improperly subbed, then contact the provider, the CRTC &/or CCTS.  Simsubs in general, is not a Rogers issue. Feel free to complain about the entire procedure by contacting the CRTC.

I notice you mention Bell.  Bell are actually the worst when it comes to requesting simsubs for their owned stations and for simbubs in areas where they are not legally done, like rural areas on Bell Satellite.  Bell Fibe will be no different than Rogers since this is a CRTC mandated procedure.  If you read the Wiki link I provided, you'll see that Bell was battling the hardest for simsubs on SuperBowls and took it to the Supreme Court.

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor

Decades ago, when I was even more addicted to television than I am now, I got a satellite dish and recorded all the unscrambled days-or-hours-early wild feeds without commercials, that the Canadian tv channels used. It might even say "for CTV" on the colour bars before the transmission began. After that, I subscribed to all kinds of US services (grey market was big back then), and now with so much web content scattered all over the Internet, On Demand content (some without commercials), and Rogers not forcing simsubs on the 11pm and beyond content aired by the Seattle channels (in my region), or perhaps KTLA CW content, that WPIX CW gets hit with ... Simsubs don't annoy me as often and as much as they used to.
It's nice to have the option to skip the Canadian feeds even if there are no simsubs for a particular show.
I despise simsubs, but I suppose because I often end up viewing lots of US feeds or content, I'm less likely to lose my cool ... Especially if I notice a problem early enough to schedule a later recording on the Seattle channels, or even on one of the regional Canadian channels if necessary.

rickwl2000
I plan to stick around

Note that the simsub, IMHO, doesn't apply to what happened. 2 US feeds in the PIG displayed  ANDOR. CTV wasn't running the show at the time in any of their connotations. Rogers completely over streamed BOTH US network feeds with a show that had NOTHING to do with what the lousy Canadian channel was airing at the time! If Rogers was to be HONEST they wouldn't display false info on the IPG!

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor

I assume you are referring to the Disney+ series Andor.

Some of the US channels aired the first two episodes on Nov 23 and 24. I think ABC had it scheduled for Nov 23 at 9pm-10:30pm. I didn't try to watch it, nor did I check the guide to see what it showed. If Rogers didn't allow the ABC broadcast of Andor due to a simsub error, that would be odd. Not sure if it could be blocked due to a rights issue, but the previous ABC broadcast of a different Disney+ show was shown by Rogers.
FX and Freeform were two of the other US channels that took part in the Andor preview.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rickwl2000 wrote:

Note that the simsub, IMHO, doesn't apply to what happened. 

Any time a Canadian channel is substituted over a US channel that is a simsub.  If you're sure it was done incorrectly, you can complain to Rogers, the CRTC and the CCTS.  CTV may have incorrectly asked for the simsub. CTV is owned by Bell.  If you have any friends with Bell or another service provider like Shaw, Cogeco or Videotron, you can ask them if they saw the same thing happen.

I am not familiar with, nor do I watch, most network programming, so I don't keep track of these sorts of things.

As mentioned by @mebe earlier, there are ways around simsubs by streaming, or using Over The Air (OTA) antenna if you're close to the broadcasting channel, etc.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation