Channel Re-Alignment

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Channel Re-Alignment

@dsmith300 wrote:

So it appears this customer is crying before he is hurt. BBC World News is still available to me without extra cost as I am buying the VIP Digital Movies Plus package, (and BBC World is part of the Plus.) That doesn't of course make it any better for those customers who have to pay an extra $2.93 plus tax every month to keep the service.

Yes, it is available right now but after May 23 you will lose it. This is what is on the Rogers.com Website and was also contained in the letter that many customers received this week.

Spike TV will no longer be offered as part of VIP. It will be available as part of the following packages: Ultimate Digital Specialty and Classic TV Theme Pack. BBC World News will no longer be offered as part of VIP. It will be available as a digital channel on its own and as part of the following packages: Digital Mix, Ultimate Digital Specialty, All English Themes and News Theme Pack.

Customers who subscribe to a VIP package are already paying a premium price. When you are told you are going to lose stations and will have to pay more to keep them, it is like a slap in the face from Rogers.

I'm a Regular

@jays77 wrote:

@dsmith300 wrote:

So it appears this customer is crying before he is hurt. BBC World News is still available to me without extra cost as I am buying the VIP Digital Movies Plus package, (and BBC World is part of the Plus.) That doesn't of course make it any better for those customers who have to pay an extra $2.93 plus tax every month to keep the service.

Fine.  Then they maybe they should lower my VIP price by $2.93 plus tax since I will no longer be getting the service.  Oh, and I won't have access to Spike (not that I watch it) so a decrease in price for losing that channel would be appreciated as well.

As they saying goes, "You get what you pay for", so you should only have to pay for what you get.

Not according to some here who claim not to represent Rogers. Rogers is a business, not a true service provider. As with all businesses they exist to make money for their shareholders. In order to continue doing that they must constantly improve their profit margin. If you don't wish to pay more for less, then don't.

Cap07

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Cap07 wrote:

Not according to some here who claim not to represent Rogers. Rogers is a business, not a true service provider. As with all businesses they exist to make money for their shareholders. In order to continue doing that they must constantly improve their profit margin. If you don't wish to pay more for less, then don't.

Cap07

There is fair bit of truth to this.

Your electricity, gas, water... and i would even go as far as home phone (for emergency calls, etc), i would call a SERVICE.
In the end, TV, internet, etc.. are all just EXTRAS.   If you cant afford them, there are other things that can be done (read a book , etc).. or other means.

I am not saying this, to back up rogers price increases.. just trying to.. explain a bit. 

If you dont have alot of extra money... you dont go out to dinner 1+ a week, right?  While its nice to, its an extra, which you cut out to save that money instead.   I know a least 5 people, who have cut regular tv, 100% just for that reason.. they cut back what they watch.. stream the little that they do (web, netflix, etc).

-------------------------------

I would tend to agree.. IF we dont get anything in replcement for the two moving to specialty (for whatever reason.. greed, force too, etc...), it should be discounted by a bit at least per each channel.

But it is also leaving two channel gaps. These MAY be filled by other channels in replacement.... weither these are GOOD channels we want and are worth the same weight as the ones lost.. well that may be a different story.

I'm a Regular

Those two gaps will doubtless be filled by fan favourites like the All Falafels channel and Canadian Cleaning Channel. Hooray!

And to those who think to switch to watching TV shows on the internet, how long do you imagine that will go on the way it is at present? If Rogers/Bell start losing TV subscribers or revenue, they'll just raise the internet rates and find other creative ways to maintain or increase profit margin.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats it.. like you said earlier.. they are a for profit company.. its their job to make money as well.

If we dont like what is happening, we do have a choice.  Leave them and stop paying them.  If enough people are upset and do this, they will not have enough customers, and be forced to change.

I'm a Regular

Has anyone noticed the line in your bill for the DTA? Give it a year or so and there will be a charge beside it. :-)
I'm a Senior Advisor

The DTAs are free. How else would Rogers retain analog cable customers?

I ordered and picked up 4 DTAs and it was explained to me that I would be charged for the 4th on my bill and the charge deducted, since the system is apparently only set up to issue 3 DTAs. My bill shows $0.00 for the digital adapters and an addition and deduction of $50  + tax for the 4th. If Rogers actually charges for the DTAs, it's probably hidden in their annual rate increase.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is also a lot of people on here who are not affiliates nor employees of Rogers, who give answers in a non-biassed way, who are helpfull, friendly, and give info from their hart, ant not from any script, yet some of these members/posters get accused of being an employee in disguise, or insider or what not?

All I can say is Rogers can do what ever they want, if your not happy, then you can leave go to the competition, im oviously not a customer of their cable tv so i cant comment on it, but i do use their internet. If a company took a channel away from me, i would be mad, but i would express my concern by either downgrading or going somewhere else, but i also am very highly aware the competing cable and tv companies not just rogers also play this game, so there is nothing u can do, except praythey take a channel away that u couldnt care less about.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Cap07 wrote:
Has anyone noticed the line in your bill for the DTA? Give it a year or so and there will be a charge beside it. :-)

I agree. Once upon a time, there was no charge for a modem on Rogers Internet. We've seen how that one turned out!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They may one day, they may never. Lets leave that judgement until it does happen.

As has been stated, if you are that unhappy you can change your service to another provider.