Channel Not Available Error Message

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Channel Not Available Error Message

I've been receiving that message, off and on, for at least a month.

Spoke to a rep who thought it was my digital box, ... maybe.

Most of the time it occurs around 7-730 pm and for hours after.

Channels are random. Can be watching one moment, change to another channel, and come back to the original, which now pops up with that message. Annoying to say the least. Especially when you may be watching a movie, change during commercial, and then not be able to access your original channel when you come back!

I'm thinking it is signal power problem. Perhaps peak hours are not receiving the signal that we need?

Rogers should get someone online here to explain the phenomenon?

Obviously not a "one off" situation?

Steve

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here's a post on the topic of signal, which certainly is the cause of many such issues. You can check the signal yourself, or contact Rogers and have them check it remotely.  It's often worthwhile checking with your neighbours to see if they have similar issues.  Rogers is not going to do anything until you complain.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M42...

See my posts in the previous page of this thread.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for your input,

I asked Rogers online (CHAT) a week ago about the problem. Long story short, signal to the residence was good, and box seemed fine to them? They mentioned I can exchange the box, but seemed like a lost leader remedy to me.

I'll try that after the holidays, I guess.

Since others are having the same problem, I can't stop thinking that the signal is weaker at night, and perhaps redirected to those that pay for ultimate speed usage?

1steve

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Signal needs to be checked when you're having the problem. Signal can be worse at certain times of the day. I know I had an issue a while back wherein the signal was week after around 11PM.  We finally traced the issue to a bad splitter (the first one at the demarcation point of my home). 

I have also had issues in the past where a tree limb came down on a feeder line and signal was affected when it got cooler or windy. Again, it's imperative to check the signal when you're actually having the problem and to check with your neighbours.  A lot of times the signal is checked when the problem doesn't exist.  Intermittent issues are the most difficult to solve, however, a proper analysis usually gets you to a solution.

When I checked with my neighbours regarding the latter issue, they all said they were having problems, but none of them had called to complain!!  It's also possible to have the Rogers CSRs check neighbour signals when they are checking yours - remotely, or when present live.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks,

I was going to ask them for a new splitter and box.

The test rep said our signals at my residence, and area were fine though.

I rebooted the box a couple times since but to no avail?

Oh well, guess I'll wait until next week and try replacements.

Happy Holidays!