Channel Not Available Error Message

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Channel Not Available Error Message

The message, is usually caused by one of two things.

A) signal

B) box not on the account properly/authorized properly

That you changed the location, where the one box worked OK, and the other didnt still... means that the signal should be fine in that location (could be not great in the other location.. try the GOOD box in that other room?)

I would assume then its an authorization issue.   Give a call into support..  have them double check that both boxes are on the account properly (check the S/N).
I would even have them REMOVE the problem box, and re-add it, and re authorize it.. see if that helps.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks Gdkitty for the help and suggestions. Was about to do your recommendations so turned on the tv/STB to have a reference of problem channels and voila! All is suddenly back up and running!!!! Not sure why, but all I can say is it may have just been stuck trying to communicate. Once it got through, I'm back up. Hopefully the issue doesn't come ip again but if it does, I'll give Rogers a call to remove and re-add to the account as suggested...regards
I've Been Around

Channel Not Available Error Message

Over the last 2 weeks my 2 boxes have started to give me the "Channel not Available " message for several channels 167, 525, 54, 544, 562(movie Time), 568 and several more. What's up with that? I reset my boxes through the self service section on the guide and they are still messed up? Not getting what I pay for from Rogers, thinking of switching to Bell or Shaw.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Especially if you are having more than one channel having issues... its more than likely signal related.

have you called in to get them to check signal levels?
Have a technician out?

SOmetimes, all it might be is a simple splitter or cable that needs to be replaced... they do wear out over time.
A technician can check from the street, to the outside, inside, etc.  Replace as needed, even put in a power booster if needed.

IF who you switch to, ends up using the same cabling inside the house to get from TV to TV, you might end up with similar issues if its something inside which has worn out.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm in Ottawa and getting ''Channel not available ''message .... The message seems to be mostly on 185 (MSNBC) but also sometimes on the weather network 586 .

Rogers customer service is so tedious it makes me hesitant to phone them. Which may be the whole point.

*sigh*

I'm an Advisor

Hello OttawaHere,

I hear you - when you don't feel like waiting on hold or navigating that beastly phone menu, try tweeting @RogersHelps ("follow" them first).  They can take a few hours to respond, but this allows you to get on with your day (work, errands, etc) and get help while on the run.

They are great at helping or pointing you in the right direction, and you are left with an electronic "paper trail" that you can refer to for reference.  Good luck and let us know if they were able to assist!

I Plan to Stick Around

Ok ..just to update ..I did make several calls when the Channel not available message came up .. seems to be working much better now.
Also ... there was some ''cable''digging work going on nearby soooo that could be connected.
I just felt I should post here to give Rogers their credit when they do fix something ...*swoon ...faints*
I Plan to Stick Around

I have moved to a 13 y.o. townhouse a month ago.  The technician who was connecting the Rogers service then told me that my cable was cheap/older and that is why I got the "Channel Not available" message several times with my box located in the basement (only), and that I would need to change the cable and run it through the house etc. by hiring someone privately (he said Rogers could not do that).  It seemed the issue disappeared, but last week we noticed it started happening again and again.  Multiple channels were becoming unavailable, and then avaialable and then unavailable again... on all three boxes.

Rogers technicain will be coming over on Saturday to take a look. 

So, my question is: Am I in a position to ask Rogers replace/run the newer cable if it is, in fact, an issue?  Was the initial technician just lazy to do that when he noticed that issue?  Alrenatively, will I have to hire somebody privately indeed and pay for this work?

Thank you very much for your input.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers can not run anything inside walls, etc.
They are not legaly covered to do so.
So generally yes, inside the house, any cable lines that would need to be replaced, is under the OWNERs responsibility.

All that being said, there is more that the tech could have done.

Putting an inline booster, at least for the one or so runs that are having issues.. push it HIGHER than it should be, so even with the LOSS might end up being ok in the end, etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks a lot Gdkitty!  That's the answer I was looking for.