Channel Not Available Error Message

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Channel Not Available Error Message

Hello

I am having the same problem with the channel not available error message and I live in Kitchener.  Certain channels send a message that it is trying to tune in and then says channels not available.  I don't have the patience to deal with Rogers and as I read all the messages in the forum, it seems it won't help anyway.  I pay good money for the service and feel I am being completely ripped off.  When I power up the digital terminal I receive the channels, but its becoming a pain having to do that every day.  I called Rogers automated line and said I wanted the terminal reset and there is not change.  I'm completely frustrated with Rogers!  I am hoping someone can figure out this issue.  Thank you in advance for any help someone can give me.

I've Been Around

Hello JanPauline,

I've been having the same problem as you. I've resetted my terminal (turning it on and off) and some channels started to work fine. I don't think its the issue with the terminal but the issue with rogers service. Your best bet is to wait until the channels are back on.

I've Been Here Awhile

I set up my new cable box (switched from regular to pvr) and everything was fine and working, I was watching AMC but then i left to watch a movie. When I came back to turn on my tv the cable wasn't working. every channel I flick to says I’m not subscribed. I tried unplugging and plugging back in, and holding the power button. what do I do?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

try giveing a call in, and have them re-initialize the box

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello allysp

When the channel is showing you that message, it means that the box may not be authorized on the account or something is going on. Best thing to do is a situation like this is to contact Rogers cable department and have them reauthorize the box on your account. If that does not fix the issue, it could mean a tech needs to come and see what's going on
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks! that may be the issue, when my mom moved she gave me her old box!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Did she just give you the box and you just plug it in?

THAT could be your problem.  You need to have her, remove it from her account.. and then you add it to your account, for it to properly work.

I've Been Here Awhile

I live in a large condo building and I use an HD box.  I've had this problem for quite some time now (at least a couple of years).  Previously this happened only occasionally and the message would just go away after a couple of minutes and the channels would start working.  However recently this happens every time I turn on the TV.  It would always happen to the same channels and only HD channels - the ones that are less popular like the French channels.  For example, the French CBC standard definition channel 601 would work but the HD channel 602 would not.   If I leave the TV on for about 20 minutes or so, some of the channels may come back.  I suspect that this might have something to do with the cable bandwidth being full that it is now carrying more HD channels than ever before and the popular channels get higher priority.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can often get this message, if the signal is weak/not proper as well.

Is there any splitters, etc installed?

Might be worth a tech out.. they can check things, replace cables, etc.. might fix the issue.

I've Been Here Awhile

I have 2 Scientific Atlantic 4250HD boxes, purchased back in 2008.  Just moved into a new home and all of a sudden, 1 box does not work properly.  It gets the "channel not available" error on some of the HD channels.  I've switched the boxes location and the issue always occurs with the one box, not the other.  Had a tech come and did some fidgiting with the connections.  He mentioned that I might just need to upgrade the bad box??? These both worked fine in my previous house so what are the odds that all of sudden 1 of them would go bad??

I recall having this problem when I first moved into my previous home several years ago when I first purchased these boxes and the tech then changed out the splitter and removed a signal amplifier and all was well.

Strange though that only 1 box is affected by this issue, which tells me that somehow it is not communicating with the Rogers, as was previously mentioned in past posts.  This makes sense to me logically so anyone have any ideas on a solution to getting the box to start communicating again?

Thanks for your input and ideas.